Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from TM3 to Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem with the i-Pace is the home charging option which is limited to dog-slow 120 volts. That means you get about 50 miles with an overnight charge unless I've misread the comments on the other forums.

All JLR has said so far, is the on-board charger is 7kW. Lots of the documentation and specifications are still incomplete. They said it tows 1640 pounds, but there is no hitch and you need to use the factory hitch. No EPA numbers. No specifics on the energy screens, other than vague references and blurry pictures. The US preliminary manual (the US car is different) is not available.

The British manual says 80% charge in 40 minutes (84.7kWh usable). That's 100kW average. Errr... unlikely.

7 kW is either 7.7kW (32a like Bolt) 7.2kW (30a) or 6.6kW (28a) or some other number. 7kW is not a 'natural' number of amps for circuit breakers. No mention whatsoever what the EVSE is capable of other than, it will "need to leave at 6am" departure charge timing like a Volt or Bolt.

There is no Wall Charger in their US catalog yet.

So what do we know about EV400 Charging in the USA? Very little.

Coming from somebody who thought an i3 was good idea? The only possible reason for an i3 is that you need to tell folk you have a BMW. Pretty fkg useless otherwise. Much better EVs for much cheaper are available if you are not badge conscious.

Are you aware you can't get a stick shift Ferrari, and a Corvette is faster around a track? The Stallion has been gelded.

The idea that a Tesla badge is more fashion conscious than a Jaguar badge in California is debatable. While I'm not into badges, Jaguar does denote a racing heritage that Tesla lacks. Much like why folk buy Ferraris. There is a pedigree. Tesla lacks any racing DNA whatsoever.

But the main thing about the Jaguar is there is a 100+ different options. Other than the limited edition FE, no two i-Pace EV400's will be alike. But it will be first year, probably some bugs. However JLR put 1.5 million miles of testing in the i-Pace as of December 2017: Jaguar I-Pace electric car testing: 200 cars, 1.5 million miles, and counting and they do have OTA just in case.

Tesla relies on OTA and has the customers to do initial testing. Or you would not find out the brakes were pooched 10 months after release and other easy to test issues.

Oddly enough, the reason I'm getting a Jaguar is due to my wife. She has an equal say in major purchases and she has extensive seat time on closed course tracks and has a competition license as well.

She didn't like the Model S or X. But she did 'accept' the Model 3. She loves the idea and price of the Jaguar. And for us, there is no option of a Model 3 other than used. I do not anticipate Model 3 availability of even the base configuration (LR/PUP) for all Day One donors until the fall or winter. I could be wrong of course. It's been over 4 months since I was told I'd receive a Model 3, and 2 years, 2 months, and 3 days since I donated. There was no guarantee that the $1000 would be refundable back then or now. So I saw it as a donation for a good cause, and gave it a 50/50 chance. Well, the coin came up heads! Congrats Elon! and the 20,000 people who patiently waited between 2 years and 2 months (2m = existing owners, their friends, and some speculators) depending on the rules at the time.

So perhaps Tesla might lose one sale. I doubt I'm alone. We will see come July/August when the EV400s are available for test drives in the US.

Of course Jaguar could screw this up. They could fail to deliver / on time. That's why I haven't cancelled the Model 3 donation, but it could be a long time before I get an 'invite' for a Model 3. There could even be other options by then. Who knows? And even a Model 3 invite today doesn't guarantee a delivery this year of anything but the LR/PUP/RWD black interior version. I hate black interiors and glass roofs. Sadly the Jaguar has a glass roof on the FE, but that was my choice. I could have bought a version with a hardtop but not if I wanted the FE package. It does have a light interior option.

McRat, thanks for being an EV pioneer! It takes courage to go with a first iteration car, I hope the Jaguar is awesome for you. Please keep us posted on how Jaguar communicates and follows through on delivery and when they deliver it to you please post a video or photos so we can share in your experiences. The iPace is a new chapter in the awesome EV story.

Reactions: McRat
McRat, thanks for being an EV pioneer! It takes courage to go with a first iteration car, I hope the Jaguar is awesome for you. Please keep us posted on how Jaguar communicates and follows through on delivery and when they deliver it to you please post a video or photos so we can share in your experiences. The iPace is a new chapter in the awesome EV story.

I will do that if I am not kicked off the board for the final time. :D

You'll get true weight, dragstrip times by a NHRA competition licensed driver, AutoX performance, and Road course performance by an SCCA amateur driver. And some desert trails too by an AMA D37 desert rider/ex-racer.

All I have now is a 5 page long Order Sheet with my name on it, and dates for it's progress. And a couple hundred RPO codes. I've never seen so many RPO codes on a car order sheet. That's why it's 5 pages, and 1/2 of Page One is RPO codes too. :eek:

As of June 3:

2019 Photon Red Jaguar i-Pace EV400 First Edition.

Order # 1454xxxx
Order Date 6/1/18
Last Amendment Possible 6/15/18
Build Date 7/13/18
Delivery Date 9/21/18
Accepted Handover 9/26/18
Planned Handover 9/26/18

Ordered at Newport Beach, California Jaguar Land Rover May 30. They took 2 days and prodding to submit it. They weren't try not trying to talk me out of it, they had not processed an order yet and were confused.

Last edited:
I was also in contact today with the DS and discovered several other nice features like the possibility to schedule the charge from the app, the ventilated seats (heating and cooling); a fully-programmaly central display (more than the one of the Tesla in therms of selection of apps to be displayed and their position (central, left and right). A programmable HUD. A quite substantial sets of apps already integrated with the car infotainment. The WiFi hotspot is also confirmed. Etc.

If you didn't get the wristband (option on some builds):

This is a waterproof bracelet that lets you unlock your car.
You leave everything in the car including your keys if you are going somewhere and just want your keys and nothing else.

Combined with an iWatch on your other hand, this is a great system for those who like to explore, go to beach, visit nudist colonies, etc. Or if you are like me, and don't carry a cellphone, a great way to live.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Do you know if I-Pace has AP1 or AP2 ? Jaguar seems to be pretty secretive about it.

I would sell my Model 3 and and grab an I-Pace if it is AP2.

It has adaptive cruise control, blindspot icon on mirrors, blindspot steering correction that keeps you from pulling in front of other cars, and "steering assist" that keeps you in the center of the lane if you keep a hand on the wheel like Tesla. Not just Lane Keep Assist. Parking assist. 360° birdseye view. 360° impact sensors for parking. The AEB operates up to 99 mph, the steering assist to 112mph. If you start to fall it asleep it will try to wake you up.

So not AutoPilot. Nor do we know how well the systems function. There was 1.5 million miles of testing in 200 cars as of Dec 2017, so there is a good chance it will work. Which is the better system? Time will tell. But supposedly it will do autosteering with ACC.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Man I didn't read every post here but having two British cars in the garage right now is more than enough. I literally laughed out loud when I first read about this car... The Brits are notorious for poor electrical engineering. Google "Lucas Prince of Darkness" for some laughs before buying the Jag... There is zero chance I'd trade my silicon valley girl for one of these.

Man I didn't read every post here but having two British cars in the garage right now is more than enough. I literally laughed out loud when I first read about this car... The Brits are notorious for poor electrical engineering. Google "Lucas Prince of Darkness" for some laughs before buying the Jag... There is zero chance I'd trade my silicon valley girl for one of these.
So true!.... but maybe that's why they are building it in Austria?

If you didn't get the wristband (option on some builds):

This is a waterproof bracelet that lets you unlock your car.
You leave everything in the car including your keys if you are going somewhere and just want your keys and nothing else.

Combined with an iWatch on your other hand, this is a great system for those who like to explore, go to beach, visit nudist colonies, etc. Or if you are like me, and don't carry a cellphone, a great way to live.

Yes, it is a quite nice option. I am a cyclist and I am thinking that it is a nice plus for my rides.

I'm sure that will help, only time will tell to see how this car will be... The 90 kWh battery and 240 mile rated range hints at underlying inefficiency. I'll for sure go test drive one when they are available, I honestly want the car to succeed.

There is a WLTP rating filed at 480 clicks. There is no EPA filing. Is 240mi at 80% or 100%? That is not made clear. 80% would match the WLTP number.

We will know soon. Deliveries in Europe are starting for high-profile owners.

I would love to have a Tesla in my garage, but by the time Elon decides to bring any type of Tesla back to his home country, every other company would probably have an electric vehicle of some sort in SA, Jaguar will release the I-pace in SA before the end of the year, so the the Jag is for the foreseeable future our only full electric option and Jaguar/Land Rover has a big presence in SA, which is always good to have.