Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Systems are powering up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this error message three times today - the first time after I drove my car following another software update. I never received the error message before. The first time I pressed the brake and and shifter into reverse (parked in the garage) and it finally let me drive. I reversed out of the garage and across the street to the mail box. Parked with the driver door open, picked up my mail ~30 seconds, got back in the car and the message was displayed again. I waited then pressed the brake and shifter into drive, finally I was able to drive to a store about 10 minutes away. The error message appeared after I returned to the car about 15 minutes later. I drove to a second store about 5 minutes away. The error message appeared after I returned to the car about 15 minutes later. Seriously?
I assume you have a MS. What firmware release are you on?

I ask because my previously reported problems with this sort of went away couple of firmware drops ago (I'm on .22 now), and now I don't get the elongated symptoms and message as often. Have you tried the full reboot... Foot on brake; Press both control wheels until T appears on CID, then let up on brake and control wheels? If you still have the repeated problem, try calling 7x24 tech support #877-798-3752 (Opt 2, IIRC). Good luck.

I just had this problem this morning. The problem isn't just the wait for the system to wake up. It also didn't charge overnight as I have my timer set for 1 am. I check my phone every morning when I first wake and this morning I didn't get the charge started/charge completed notifications. That was my first clue. Luckily I have more than enough charge left to make my commute today. I'm on 17.26.76

I received "Systems Are Powering Up Message". Rebooting resolved it but it took a lot longer to register holding down the 2 scroll wheels on steering wheel than I've done previously. I was probably a good 45 seconds of holding the buttons before it rebooted. (late 2014 Pre-Autopilot, Firmware Version: 2017.42 a88c8d5 )
system.jpg

Similar problem here, for a second time within a couple of weeks, so I suspect a bug introduced in a recent update. Power saving mode never activated, and checkmark "always connected" always checked!

The additional consequence is that I programmed the car to start charging at 1am so the battery is warm when I leave at -11C this morning, but because of this shutdown, it didn't start charging so I'm stuck with 50km of range and a cold battery. (The car was connected all night to the UMC.)

Version 2017.44 02fdc86

(I'm reposting from here since this current thread appears to be a more to-the-point and recently active. Sorry for that.)

Same problem here with new 100D MS (built 11/2017). s/w 2018.2 Power saving mode off. The car was charging overnight in the garage and I got a blank screen and "Systems are powering up, press brake when this message clears" message. Reboot seems to have worked around whatever caused the bug.

A20CBF47-7FA2-4C9C-9F75-9BCD8C355C25.jpeg
Happened to me this week, just the once. Took about 15 mins before a reboot worked. The S was in a cold garage, but has been for several months, without issue, I still don’t understand why. It’s theses type of things that drain your confidence.

I got this "Systems are powering up, press brake when this message clears" warning today, with a difference...

It's not the first time I've seen it - on various occasions I've seen it before but it always goes away on its own after a very short while, e.g. within a minute or less. Since I've got Energy Savings = ON and Always Connected = OFF I've always assumed it's just the car taking a few moments to wake up from sleep.

But today the message persisted for more than 5 minutes, and the whole time the 17" screen was blank, HVAC off, no music from the audio player. The other odd thing I noticed was that the temperature display on the dash displayed as "--" instead of the numerical temperature - I've never not seen the temp displayed there correctly before.

After several minutes I got tired of waiting and pressed the brake anyhow, and I was able to put the car into Reverse and back out of my garage. However the 17" screen was still blank, HVAC and audio still off. I noticed that although the turn signals seemed to blink on the dash and outside the car, the normal clicking sound was absent (no doubt due to the 17" screen being down, I've noticed in past all audio warnings in the car seem to be related to the MCU functioning properly, as evidenced by audio player bugs muting the turn signals and other warning sounds)

I put the car back into park since I was worried about driving without the main screen CPU running, and waited another 5 or more minutes - still no change to the blank 17" screen or HVAC/audio, and still the Systems are Powering Up message persisted on the dash. I could not access the car via the app either.

I finally got tired of waiting for something to happen and decided to reboot with the two steering wheel buttons while pressing the brake. Finally the main screen came back to life. Not sure what caused it this time to get stuck in the powering up state, but hopefully not a sign of something wrong...

I had this happen to me too recently. Never had it happen in the 3 years prior. Within the same week, I also had one other time where the 17" display did not boot up and on a separate occasion the music would not play any sound eventhough it indicated it was playing and the volume was at about 6. All of these things happened within a week's time period, but have not happened again in the week following.
Yeah. Happened for me too. First time in 5.5 years. Has to be software DOH

First time I had it a month ago (after a week long stint in a cold airport parking garage, so explainable). Happened again last week after being parked outside for 90 minutes (annoying but not a major issue) and finally had it happen this morning after being in the garage and plugged in overnight!

So definitely agree with Tomas that this sounds at least partially like a firmware issue. Tesla Roadside looked at logs and saw no issues. Suggested a full 3 minute shutdown and reboot, which I’ll do later today. He’s notifying my local service center so if it happens again they’ll have the background and I can make a service appointment. I’m still on 2017.50.3 FW by the way.

I have been having the same issue with my 3 month old model s. They replaced my Drivers Assistance Module. Still the problem persists. I have 1800 miles on my car and have had to reboot 5 or 6 times. Pretty disappointing for a $100k car.

I was having this issue frequently and called Tesla. Turned out my navigation history was too long and it was causing memory constraints. If recurring I’d call Tesla they can walk you through a fix. It’s a pain deleting individual navigation addresses so I just reset all the car settings which to me seemed easier but since doing this haven’t had these issues surface again.

I was having this issue frequently and called Tesla. Turned out my navigation history was too long and it was causing memory constraints. If recurring I’d call Tesla they can walk you through a fix. It’s a pain deleting individual navigation addresses so I just reset all the car settings which to me seemed easier but since doing this haven’t had these issues surface again.

Bump. I encountered this problem tonight and found this thread/your post. Reboot worked and I figured out how to delete my old addresses - press and hold the address and the map pointer turns to an "x," then press the "x" and the entry is deleted. Painful, but I deleted about 80 entries.

Ever since new maps and improved Nav, I use Nav alot more frequently to route around traffic and predict eta. Sometimes still use Waze, but it is easier to see the Nav app.

I am going to follow up with local SC tomorrow. Would like to know if there is better way to clear entries, as well as if MCU 2 doesn't have this limitation. Seems like a dumb problem that shouldnt be there.

Thanks for your post - it was very helpful.

Bump. I encountered this problem tonight and found this thread/your post. Reboot worked and I figured out how to delete my old addresses - press and hold the address and the map pointer turns to an "x," then press the "x" and the entry is deleted. Painful, but I deleted about 80 entries.

Ever since new maps and improved Nav, I use Nav alot more frequently to route around traffic and predict eta. Sometimes still use Waze, but it is easier to see the Nav app.

I am going to follow up with local SC tomorrow. Would like to know if there is better way to clear entries, as well as if MCU 2 doesn't have this limitation. Seems like a dumb problem that shouldnt be there.

Thanks for your post - it was very helpful.
What I was told is the only other way is to reset all the settings. This for me was easier and what I did and it did stop giving me these errors on starting. Agree they need to make an easier way.