Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T boned. Totaled or will insurance make us repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad everyone is ok, and yes it should be totaled. I like to know about the air bag deployment, did the side air bags, the ones that are inside the side of the seat deploy and did those help?
As far as the total cost, I’m sure the main battery will probably need to be replaced. Check for leaks.

Fred

Glad everyone is ok, and yes it should be totaled. I like to know about the air bag deployment, did the side air bags, the ones that are inside the side of the seat deploy and did those help?
As far as the total cost, I’m sure the main battery will probably need to be replaced. Check for leaks.

Fred
Did you had a passenger? Because when I don't have one, I think that there is a message like "Passenger airbag desactivated".

Fred
All the curtain airbags deployed, front and back. The steering wheel airbag and passenger front side did not deploy. Neither did the small airbag near the ankles. The curtain airbags did definitely help my head probably would've slammed into the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: Wennfred
If the other person's insurance starts making noises about fixing and not totaling it, you may want to tell them that you fully intend to file a diminished value claim and they can expect that expense, too. If they're on the fence that may be the final push they need to total it.

All the curtain airbags deployed, front and back. The steering wheel airbag and passenger front side did not deploy. Neither did the small airbag near the ankles. The curtain airbags did definitely help my head probably would've slammed into the glass.
Great info, thanks... I didn’t know we had them down by the ankles... good to know.

Fred

If the other person's insurance starts making noises about fixing and not totaling it, you may want to tell them that you fully intend to file a diminished value claim and they can expect that expense, too. If they're on the fence that may be the final push they need to total it.
Is the car already at an approved body shop for getting an insurrance quote?

If so, and if the car later on is declared salvaged, every day will cost about $250 of storage until the car will get removed.

So better to declared earlier as possible to be salvaged to avoid any extra storage cost for the other car insurrance.

Just kidding, they called me yesterday and said it is not totaled now. Sigh. They initially evaluated my car as a LR Dual motor. Once it was adjusted as a performance, it no longer met the threshold to total, yet. The car is going to a Tesla authorized body shop to be torn down for a better estimate than the initial one

Hopefully they find more damage when they get into it and then decide to total it. Dont forget about the loaner. Since you are not at fault, push for a nice one. Argue you want something comparable. The cost of 2 months of loaner car adds up, especially if you dont take the econobox they will try to force you into.

This was mine from 10/16. It was determined totaled last week. Ordered a new one on 10/16 just in case they totaled it. It will be totaled based on the laws in your state and insurance company. Most states required it to be totaled if repairs are 75% of actual cash value of the car. I have new car replacement so getting a check for the price of a brand new car.

Attachments

• B6181A9C-F18D-459C-AC8C-C034D3C18E9F.jpeg
    B6181A9C-F18D-459C-AC8C-C034D3C18E9F.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 141
  • C7228176-476E-4757-B424-0EC3737C2876.jpeg
    C7228176-476E-4757-B424-0EC3737C2876.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 92
Just kidding, they called me yesterday and said it is not totaled now. Sigh. They initially evaluated my car as a LR Dual motor. Once it was adjusted as a performance, it no longer met the threshold to total, yet. The car is going to a Tesla authorized body shop to be torn down for a better estimate than the initial one

Yikes, sorry to hear they're running you through the wringer. The threshold to total varies state by state. Here in NJ, it's a formula - If the cost to repair + the salvage value of the vehicle is greater than its book value, they total it. Otherwise, it gets repaired.

Dealing with this now on our Enclave - wish they totaled it out, but the formula isn't nearly high enough. Initial estimate of $16k repair isn't nearly enough. That doesn't include any mechanical damage which I think we have (the steering wheel shouldn't be upside down and the wheels straight, for one) - but it's still nowhere near enough to total.

For your sake, I hope the body shop digs a little deeper, finds more damages, and totals the thing. If changing from LR AWD to P is what changed it from 'totaled to not totaled', you're likely not too far off.

Just glad everyone is OK, and the vehicle did what it was supposed to do - folded like a cheap suit to protect you!