Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC Activation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new option of activating AP with 1 press down on the stalk, how do you now activate TACC only without AP?
If you opt for single-pull FSD, then you no longer have access to TACC. This also applies to cases where you use the steering wheel to take control. Formerly, this would take you from FSD to TACC. With single-pull enabled, this reverts you to full manual operation.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
I tried the single-pull AP on my MY, which does not have FSD. I quickly learned that this mode is not for me.

The problem is that when you are using basic AP on a highway and want to change lanes, when you disengage AP by any means, including the turn signal, the car does NOT revert to TACC, so you must use the accelerator pedal to maintain speed. When you have the original two-pull setting, using the turn sign or steering wheel to disengage allows the car to drop into TACC to maintain speed while you change lanes, pass a slower car, etc.

One of these days, when my M3, with FSD, gets this mode it will be sweet. But not for basic AP.

Reactions: brianbcc
I hope Tesla decides to add an option to 'revert to TACC' when steering breaks the Tesla FSD, as it does with the traditional double-down activation. There are roads in my area that I have to have the Tesla control my top speed for the sake of avoiding tickets!

So for now, no single-down activation for me.. I enjoy TACC's safety in some areas.

Reactions: E90alex
I'm not anywhere near this update so this is a question for my future.

For those with FSD and single pull, can you set up two profiles, one that enables single pull and the other than does not?

(Currently, I have 2 driver profiles for myself, one that allows FSD, one that doesn't, so I can hop between FSD and EAP and back to FSD in the middle of a drive when FSD proves to be unable to drive properly.)

With the new option of activating AP with 1 press down on the stalk, how do you now activate TACC only without AP?
If I'm reading other comments correctly… you can't. That's most unfortunate. Where I live there are many roads that do not have lines, so AP won't work safely. On such highways, I engage TACC with one flip of the stalk to maintain speed and safe distances from other cars. To no longer have separate methods to engage TACC and AP/TACC strikes me as rather dumb. What was Tesla thinking? As if flipping the stalk twice for AP required soooo much effort! I won't be enabling that option, thanks. It will only add to my frustration that Teslas don't even have the ability to "resume" TACC at the previously set speed: you have to reset TACC all over again every time you cancel it!

Can one safely change active profile while driving?
Yes, assuming the two seating positions are close enough.

If a 6' husband hit a 5'2" wife's profile by accident, he'd be pretty uncomfortable but the reverse may be worse since the wife may not be able to reach the go-pedal and the car might slow unexpectedly before she could stretch forward and manage to trigger another profile.

Source: my finger hit my husband's "Eating" profile that puts the seat fully back. Thankfully I have long arms. (Normally we can swap profiles without incident because we are about the same height but my FSD profile is way down on the list next to his Eating profile. At least I didn't hit the napping profile!)

Reactions: archae86
Perhaps a way to get separate methods to engage FSDb and TACC with single-press FSDb activation enabled is to use two separate profiles, one of which does not have FSDb turned on.

Can one safely change active profile while driving?
Maybe. But seems to me it's much easier, simpler, consistent to NOT enable the "new-and-improved" [::cough::] one-flip feature. I'll just leave my settings as they are. It's never been a problem in my six years of driving this car.

Maybe. But seems to me it's much easier, simpler, consistent to NOT enable the "new-and-improved" [::cough::] one-flip feature. I'll just leave my settings as they are. It's never been a problem in my six years of driving this car.
Many, especially with FSD, dislike that the car reverts to TACC when FSD is disengaged. That's mostly what this is...It's way better IMO for FSD and I've been using it on my MS for a few years.

If you want TACC, don't enable single-pull.

Reactions: JB47394