Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC failed to brake at stop, nearly accident.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that doesn't change the fact that you're using the car in a manner Tesla tells you it's not intended to be used.

What??? You are saying adaptive cruise is not meant to be used on the highway to keep a safe distance from slowing traffic ahead? If that is the case I will just sell my Tesla and go buy another Subaru. Seriously why I even offer Autopilot if it is not intended to be used in ANY situation? I will just assume the company doesn't take the same stance as you.

What??? You are saying adaptive cruise is not meant to be used on the highway to keep a safe distance from slowing traffic ahead? If that is the case I will just sell my Tesla and go buy another Subaru. Seriously why I even offer Autopilot if it is not intended to be used in ANY situation? I will just assume the company doesn't take the same stance as you.

TACC is not Autopilot. Tesla has not enabled Autopilot yet.

TACC is not Autopilot. Tesla has not enabled Autopilot yet.

TACC is the biggest component of Autopilot, with lane keeping & auto lane changing not yet enabled. You are missing my point which is that he claims the adaptive cruise on a Tesla is not intended to be able to brake fast enough to avoid an accident in slowing highway traffic without human intervention, and that is the most basic feature that works perfectly fine in other cars with adaptive cruise. It is ignorant to say that is acceptable as if all cars have that problem and I am just not following the manual, they need to fix the software plain and simple.

Tacc shld slow down appropriately in the situation you describe. And mine does so perfectly and better than the car with acc that it replaced.

If what you describe actually happened and it wasn't remedied by dialing up an increased distance and you didn't overreact, then something is wrong with your specific car and you should find the logs with Tesla that corroborate your story -- namely that with tacc engaged it didn't slow down and went right up on another car in front. Have them fix it if that actually happened. And buy a dash cam too.

So let us know what they say. From your description it looks like you could be simply noticing that Tesla reacts differently than the Subaru you are used to, and perhaps less conservatively, or perhaps there is a defect to fix. I wonder if you really had to apply the brzkes or if you were concerned because the car wasnt responding exactly like the Subaru did.

They've had the data and time to review it. What did they day?

What setting 1-7 was the tacc on? What setting was the collision warning on?

Last edited:
Where I have had the most tense situations and used the brakes manually have been when approaching a car stopped at a light ahead.

What I have noticed is that the TACC has much more difficulty acquiring the target (car) in front of me if it is stopped (or moving very slowly) vs when it is moving.

Here is my theory for why this is happening. Most radars return distance (round trip time) along with speed (Doppler) information. I think that the TACC is using the Doppler info to eliminate most fixed replies to declutter the info it has to process. This works great to ignore roadside bushes and posts, but also greatly reduces the TACC's ability to see stopped vehicles ahead.[SUP]*[/SUP] This is my biggest complaint/concern with TACC.

[SUP]*[/SUP]The TACC had no hope of seeing a herd of goats that I encountered on a rural highway, either...

So let us know what they say. From your description it looks like you could be simply noticing that Tesla reacts differently than the Subaru you are used to, and perhaps less conservatively, or perhaps there is a defect to fix. I wonder if you really had to apply the brzkes or if you were concerned because the car wasnt responding exactly like the Subaru did.

They've had the data and time to review it. What did they day?

What setting 1-7 was the tacc on? What setting was the collision warning on?

I reallly did have to slam on the brakes with a couple feet between me and the car ahead and traffic stopped shortly ahead of them knowing a crash was iminent and they were quickly slowing down. The tacc setting was 2 or 3 and i am unaware of different settings for collision warning but it was beeping to warn of collision and i did not feel the car brake much itself if it even did. However, if TACC was working properly the collision warning should NOT activate anyway, clearly that means TACC is disfunctional.

I told the technician to email or call as soon as they analyze my car's data but have not yet heard from anyone. I also offered to bring my car to the dealer for inspection but was not told to do so.

Last edited:
So this is odd, but I've run some tests that contradict a lot of what people are experiencing. Several times now I've enabled TACC when approaching a car stopped at a light and each time it's acquired the stopped car and properly braked. How can this be if it's not supposed to see stopped vehicles? Are we seeing calibration issues?

I've experienced that as well. Usually tacc can sense a stopped car in front but sometimes it doesn't. My prior lexus acc almost never did. TACC is much better.

Also sometimes the collision warning will sound an alarm even when TAC is following in the rare circumstances when the car ahead is braked very sharply. That seems like appropriate behavior

It happened again this morning in very similar circumstances: Driving to work on the highway going 60-70 following a car, with traffic quickly slowing to a stop ahead. Set at 3 car lengths, it seems the car in front of me is down to 30mph before my car slows to 50mph, the gap between us cut in half. With a little rain today I don't take a chance and wait till the last second to slam on my brakes.

I gave tech support the exact time of the incident this time so they can analyze along with data from Thursday; the tech said there were no notes yet on my previous report so they likely have not looked at it yet.

It happened again this morning in very similar circumstances: Driving to work on the highway going 60-70 following a car, with traffic quickly slowing to a stop ahead. Set at 3 car lengths, it seems the car in front of me is down to 30mph before my car slows to 50mph, the gap between us cut in half. With a little rain today I don't take a chance and wait till the last second to slam on my brakes.

I gave tech support the exact time of the incident this time so they can analyze along with data from Thursday; the tech said there were no notes yet on my previous report so they likely have not looked at it yet.

Have you tried at 5-7 (and it's not car lengths, it just some generic unit less distance)? Not saying there isn't a problem, but it seems like a lot of issues crop up at the smaller numbers.

Have you tried at 5-7 (and it's not car lengths, it just some generic unit less distance)? Not saying there isn't a problem, but it seems like a lot of issues crop up at the smaller numbers.

I will try that next time, my only concern is that at 5-7 it follows so far away that cars frequently merge in front of me due to the large gap. This increases risk of an accident because if a car is not far ahead and starts to move into my lane, the Tesla is also slow to react until the other car is halfway into my lane thus it does not slow down without my interventon. And even if it did the drive is less smooth since it would have to adjust speed as cars move ahead of me more often; I'd prefer to use a smaller number and trust that the Tesla would react quickly enough to slowing traffic to brake in time.

I will try that next time, my only concern is that at 5-7 it follows so far away that cars frequently merge in front of me due to the large gap. This increases risk of an accident because if a car is not far ahead and starts to move into my lane, the Tesla is also slow to react until the other car is halfway into my lane thus it does not slow down without my interventon. And even if it did the drive is less smooth since it would have to adjust speed as cars move ahead of me more often; I'd prefer to use a smaller number and trust that the Tesla would react quickly enough to slowing traffic to brake in time.

Yeah, depends on if they are cutting you off (and thus must react quickly), or if there's enough room for the car to back off nicely. In my experience thus far it's been mostly the latter. Still, interested to hear what Tesla has to say on your specific case.

Yeah, depends on if they are cutting you off (and thus must react quickly), or if there's enough room for the car to back off nicely. In my experience thus far it's been mostly the latter. Still, interested to hear what Tesla has to say on your specific case.

I just got a call back, it wasn't what I wanted to hear but they said that the morning/after work commute was facing the sun along the horizon resulting in less visibility (along with the mist this morning), though my Subaru would have handled it unless I couldn't see with my own eyes. They said with future updates Tesla software should implement radar more when the camera can't see well so hopefully the problem will be mitigated soon.

I just got a call back, it wasn't what I wanted to hear but they said that the morning/after work commute was facing the sun along the horizon resulting in less visibility (along with the mist this morning), though my Subaru would have handled it unless I couldn't see with my own eyes. They said with future updates Tesla software should implement radar more when the camera can't see well so hopefully the problem will be mitigated soon.

Wow, that's more detail than I was expecting! I'm also surprised the camera is in use that much already. Great info.