Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC - No Line Markings - Country Victoria

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my trip to Warrnambool yesterday, I came across a section of road which had been recently re-sealed and as yet no line markings. As per normal for me, I use TACC and autopilot whenever I can.

I noticed that the car continued to track in the centre of my side of the road, even while travelling on the sweeping bends. (Yes my hands were resting on the steering wheel). I thought this would be a great demonstration of how Autopilot is progressing to where it needs to be, as autonomy increases for those with Level 2 hardware.

However, this was only my observation recorded using the dashcam - showing the path the car was taking. So I decided I would capture the dash view on my return trip with my phone.

This was my first try with a movie clip overlay, and I just matched up the audio from the dashcam and phone. The steering looks a little out of sync but for all intents, I'm sure you see the effect.

Just before coming to the line marking machine, you can see TACC acquiring the truck in front; it turns blue on the screen.

You will also notice in the reflection of the dash overlay, I have my hands resting on the steering wheel. :)

The TACC / autopilot has improved so much over such a short period of time.
I know it's only designed for divided freeways but you know .....

From needing the 2 blue lines to one blue line and now .... in this instance .... quite remarkable.

I have travelled this road 10 - 20 times in the last 12 months with the Tesla, and quite a few of those trips in the last few months, so maybe 'self-learning' over this time?

On my trip to Warrnambool yesterday, I came across a section of road which had been recently re-sealed and as yet no line markings. As per normal for me, I use TACC and autopilot whenever I can.

I ...
The TACC / autopilot has improved so much over such a short period of time.
I know it's only designed for divided freeways but you know .....

From needing the 2 blue lines to one blue line and now .... in this instance .... quite remarkable.

I have travelled this road 10 - 20 times in the last 12 months with the Tesla, and quite a few of those trips in the last few months, so maybe 'self-learning' over this time?
This is indeed impressive. I have not had similar situations, so this is compelling for me. Of particular note to me is how well the AP handled vehicles, including large ones, encroaching on your lane. I wonder if it can handle road trains with equal aplomb? I suppose so.