Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC with 7.0 - unexpected slowdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody.

I just updated my Model S to the 7.0 firmware and everything works fine. There is however a small glitch that has me wondering about the new tacc.

Here is the situation:

I am driving along on a clear almost straight road at 70 km/h. No cars in front of me but suddenly my Model S starts slowing down and eventually drops to 50-55 km/h and after 100-120 meters it speeds up again.

This happens several times along this particular road. Now this road is newly built and I know for a fact that it is not in the cars Navigon maps. Google maps knows about this road but the navigon system does not. I suspect that the tacc thinks that it is on an older road that has been replaced and slows down according to the old roads.

Has anybody else experienced this behaviour? I have sent notes to tesla at every incident and intend to keep doing this. But it is really dangerous to have the car slow down for no reason what so ever.

This is the road I am driving: Google Maps

UPDATE: As requested here is a video of our car being driven on this particular road, at the beginning it is incorrectly stated that Autopilot is engaged, only the traffic aware cruise control was engaged:

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened to me exactly once so far. Last week I was driving with TACC + AP set to 70 (speed limit 65) on the Northbound 495 (beltway) express lanes in Fairfax, VA. I drive this road every single day, but for some bizarre reason I noticed the car decelerating even though there wasn't anyone ahead or behind me. Weather was sunny, clear and nothing on the well marked road. Fortunately, I didn't inconvenience anyone else. When the speed hit 55 and kept decelerating, I disabled and re-enabled TACC and everything was good ever since. No warning signals came on.

No change on the road itself in years. Exact same road I have been driving for a few years now. I don't think the express lanes are in the GPS (not entirely sure), but AP works great (since day one) on the express lanes so I'm quite puzzled by this behavior.

I could shoot a video safely. I will do so as soon as possible. But I have 20.000 km on the car and the tacc used to work perfectly on this particular road. My wife drives it every day on this road.

So the problem is really a new one with 7.0. Until Saturday the tacc worked perfectly.

I've had this happen a couple of times as well, it seems to react to particular shapes of shadows on the road. When TACC first came it it seemed to rely primarily on the radar and would not slow down for stopped vehicle. Then, over time they started to incorporate more camera usage and now it will pick up a stopped vehicle, bit it also seems to have some false positives with shadows. Overall, I think it's better this way then it was when it first came out. It keeps improving though, i'm sure these false alarms will be mitigated with some fleet learning.

These are not false alarms. This road has worked perfectly until 7.0 and now is just weird. We have never before encountered problems on this particular road and we drive along this bridge at least twice a day.

We did not engange the autopilot on our test runs because we didn't want it to interfere with the test of the TACC.

But the video is now available, I added it to the first post as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That appears to be a bug. I bet this is an artifact of the new GPS enabled TACC/Autopilot. It apparently uses the GPS to determine when it should reduce speed for sharp curves. As you mentioned, it is missing GPS data for that particular road and I bet that introduced this bug. I would submit a bug report to Tesla and hopefully they will update it with an incremental Autopilot "learning" update.

It wasn't completely clear on the video. Is there a missing map segment in every one of the locations where you have this problem?

As an aside, it is interesting that you refer to GPS satnav as "Navigon" as a standard. I didn't realize that they were so dominant in Europe that it became the generic word.