Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taiga Electric Snowmobile Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
140KM range? So, a smidge over 80 miles? That's pretty lame; like 2 to 2 and a half hours and then you need to charge. Yes, I get off the sled about every half-hour to stretch, and no I can't plug into anything every time I do that because most of the time the only things around are trees.
It sounds like a great sled for ice fishing though... ;)

150 Miles of range would put it up into the not absurdly low ranged territory, assuming it could charge from dead to full in about an hour, and assuming there are any chargers in the areas that are prime for riding. My prime riding is the northern 1/4 of MN, and that's a charging wasteland... Hell, my favorite trail has a section where you don't even cross a road for >80 miles.

I like the sound of 2.9s 0-60, as that is likely faster than my modded XF1100 turbo (which is ridiculously quick).
The 700lb weight is on the portly side, but I've been on heavier sleds (4 stroke 2-up twin-spar cats), and when done right, you don't notice the weight unless you're really tear-assing through the trails or get it stuck. And any sled is heavy when it's stuck, that's why a genius invented sno-bunjes.

Thanks for beta testing the sled. I'll continue to rock my old turbo cat until there's a viable electric version that can do a proper trail ride and when there are chargers at convenient locations.

140KM range? So, a smidge over 80 miles? That's pretty lame; like 2 to 2 and a half hours and then you need to charge. Yes, I get off the sled about every half-hour to stretch, and no I can't plug into anything every time I do that because most of the time the only things around are trees.
It sounds like a great sled for ice fishing though... ;)

150 Miles of range would put it up into the not absurdly low ranged territory, assuming it could charge from dead to full in about an hour, and assuming there are any chargers in the areas that are prime for riding. My prime riding is the northern 1/4 of MN, and that's a charging wasteland... Hell, my favorite trail has a section where you don't even cross a road for >80 miles.

I like the sound of 2.9s 0-60, as that is likely faster than my modded XF1100 turbo (which is ridiculously quick).
The 700lb weight is on the portly side, but I've been on heavier sleds (4 stroke 2-up twin-spar cats), and when done right, you don't notice the weight unless you're really tear-assing through the trails or get it stuck. And any sled is heavy when it's stuck, that's why a genius invented sno-bunjes.

Thanks for beta testing the sled. I'll continue to rock my old turbo cat until there's a viable electric version that can do a proper trail ride and when there are chargers at convenient locations.
This is not a sled for the remote long distance trail folks - you are correct. I think I said that earlier. I've had a number of "discussions" on X, where folks have just trashed the machine, because you can't trail ride in the Rockies. Unless there is a breakthrough in battery tech, that will be the case. The range is the limitation of this machine.

Where is it good?
-Ski patrol
-Snow maintenance at resorts, ski hills
-snowmobile rentals at resorts
-Ice fishing
-Recreational riding (me). I'm going to use it to collect my maple sap, and maintain trails for horseback riding.
-Law enforcement on popular trails
-Short trail riding - especially on the old railway system trails. These go through towns, and have good gas and food stops. Many also have charging. Some even have HVDC charging. Example: Great trails in Haliburton, Ontario, with charging every 25 KM or so.

It's not for everyone. The same can be said for electric cars. I haul 15,000 pound hay trailers, and 5th wheel horse trailers. The only options out there right now are the Super Duties. My car is electric, my truck isn't.

Last edited:
Some winter pictures:

The sled with backrest and rear basket installed. Plus the dashboard. It shows the connection to the mother ship (It's cell not satellite), wifi, and bluetooth. The App connects to the snowmobile via bluetooth.
Taiga screen.jpg
Taiga winter.jpg