Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Takata airbag recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have three cars with Takata airbags. 2015 Tesla, 2012 Audi, 2009 Cadillac. I received a recall notice for the Audi two months ago. They replaced the Takata with another Takata and a promise for a real fix later.

The Takata issue is the type of explosive used. In their airbags, it becomes unstable over time (more quickly in high humidity environments), so your airbag is very highly likely to be fine. For now. Responsible manufacturers are prioritizing replacements (even if only with newer Takata bags) by age and location. Companies like GM are just waiting for more people to die.

Yeah but if they file bankruptcy and close shop, there are no more replacements.

They already went bankrupt in June: Takata, brought down by airbag crisis, files for bankruptcy

The bankruptcy just pushes the financial burden onto the manufacturers to provide replacements. And bankrupt doesn't mean out of business - look at our buddies at GM. Look at the airlines that have gone bankrupt many times. Look at our president.

The remains were bought by a Detroit based car parts provider. But, who says Takata is the only source of replacements?

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
They already went bankrupt in June: Takata, brought down by airbag crisis, files for bankruptcy

The bankruptcy just pushes the financial burden onto the manufacturers to provide replacements. And bankrupt doesn't mean out of business - look at our buddies at GM. Look at the airlines that have gone bankrupt many times. Look at our president.

The remains were bought by a Detroit based car parts provider. But, who says Takata is the only source of replacements?
GM survived bankruptcy because of dubious transactions created to decimate GM's bondholders, I don't know of any airline that survived bankruptcy intact, can you mention one that did survive bankruptcy?

Takata was the largest supplier of airbags to the industry. I don't of any company that is in place and provide the volume of replacements necessary. note, the recall came out years ago, has your airbag been replaced? tesla says that they'll get to it, it's been almost two years of waiting with no replacements in sight.

I put in my VIN to see if there was a recall for my 2015 Model S and it said there was none. Does that mean my car isn't affected by the bad airbag?

No, I think it just means they haven’t gotten to the 2015s yet

Model S Safety Update

Although the current recall only applies to 2012 Model S vehicles, the passenger airbags of all Model S vehicles produced through late 2016 are expected to eventually be recalled. If you own a Model S produced between 2013 and 2016, your airbags are safe, and you do not need to take any action until you receive further notice from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR
Responsible manufacturers are prioritizing replacements (even if only with newer Takata bags) by age and location. Companies like GM are just waiting for more people to die.

What? GM has recalled cars for this issue - they were part of the first wave to initiate the recall. Most of the folks who have died have been driving Hondas.

I was disappointed that Tesla continued to install Takata airbags in the Model S for several YEARS after they knew Takata had a problem.

• Love
Reactions: croman
I also wish Tesla was leading on this rather than trailing. It looks bad.

In contrast, BMW is going back as far as 2000 models (our 2001 got it) that have the dubious ammonium nitrate inflators. Stunning really - 17 year old vehicles getting an expensive recall!

Takata was the largest supplier of airbags to the industry. I don't of any company that is in place and provide the volume of replacements necessary. note, the recall came out years ago, has your airbag been replaced? tesla says that they'll get to it, it's been almost two years of waiting with no replacements in sight.
Aren't these lines in the article of some significance?

"...But Takata's bankruptcy isn't expected to disrupt the massive recall triggered by its faulty products.
The Japanese firm is now supplying only 25% of the replacement inflators, according to Upham, with rival companies providing the rest..."

This has been stated in a number of places.

Aren't these lines in the article of some significance?

"...But Takata's bankruptcy isn't expected to disrupt the massive recall triggered by its faulty products.
The Japanese firm is now supplying only 25% of the replacement inflators, according to Upham, with rival companies providing the rest..."

This has been stated in a number of places.
and here we are a few years down the road, but it was on the internet so it must be true

The point is the auto manufacturers are the ones on the hook for the airbags replacements and there are other companies making air bags. The fact that Takata has sold their air bag business to another company and filed for bankruptcy protection does not absolve the auto manufacturers of their responsibility.

The point is the auto manufacturers are the ones on the hook for the airbags replacements and there are other companies making air bags. The fact that Takata has sold their air bag business to another company and filed for bankruptcy protection does not absolve the auto manufacturers of their responsibility.
it may not absolve the manufacturers from responsibility, but the car manufacturers are not producers of said part, they relied on vendors and in my eyes the manufacturers are victims to takata's fraud as well. if the manufacturers cannot get access to the necessary parts for replacement because the supplies are unable to produce the volume of parts needed, then the repairs will take a long time to happen.

I also wish Tesla was leading on this rather than trailing. It looks bad.

In contrast, BMW is going back as far as 2000 models (our 2001 got it) that have the dubious ammonium nitrate inflators. Stunning really - 17 year old vehicles getting an expensive recall!

It’s actually more the other way around. The issue is that the airbags degrade over time, so it’s *older* cars that are highest priority, since they’re essentially bombs at this point. Tesla is slow to this because the Model S only dates back to 2012. The airbags are perfectly safe for several years, so there’s not as much imminent danger with Tesla’s as there is for other, older, manufacturers.