Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take over immediately - vehicle departing lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never had this message (complete with emergency beeping) come up before this road trip. I've had it five times now this week. Two times, Autopilot was doing fine but then steered hard right for some reason, sending me out of the lane. One time for seemingly no reason (car was in lane). The weirdest part is that two times it happened when autopilot wasn't engaged -- I was changing lanes, with the turn signal on!

Anyone seeing this more often as a possible issue from whatever the latest update is? I'm on 17.4.14 with AP1 hardware. I've logged the times and dates in case that's important to Tesla if I have to bring it in.

Never had this message (complete with emergency beeping) come up before this road trip. I've had it five times now this week. Two times, Autopilot was doing fine but then steered hard right for some reason, sending me out of the lane. One time for seemingly no reason (car was in lane). The weirdest part is that two times it happened when autopilot wasn't engaged -- I was changing lanes, with the turn signal on!

Anyone seeing this more often as a possible issue from whatever the latest update is? I'm on 17.4.14 with AP1 hardware. I've logged the times and dates in case that's important to Tesla if I have to bring it in.
if your hands are on the steering wheel and the AP is not engaged I don't see how or why the car would just veer off to the side. there is something more that must have been omitted.

I have an AP1 car refresh. This it was misty this morning and I was in the left lane using AP at about 40 mph and car just veered into the right lane for no reason. I did not flip the right turn signal. Luckily no car was in the right lane. My car has not been updated with 8.1 yet.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
AP1 had a tough time on a road with lots of tight turns today. It couldn't seem to keep me in my lane; I did not get the warning-but I did take over; it has never gone out of my lane before today!

if your hands are on the steering wheel and the AP is not engaged I don't see how or why the car would just veer off to the side. there is something more that must have been omitted.

Maybe I worded badly --

Instance #1 and #2 - AP was engaged, hands were on wheel, road was straight. In both cases I was in the right lane. Car suddenly turned sharp right, alarm went off, warning displayed. Fortunately, hands were on wheel to avoid any problems. Up until yesterday this had never happened and definitely caught me off guard (the car suddenly pulling right).

Instance #3 - AP was engaged, hands were on wheel, road was straight. Alarm went off and warning displayed to take over immediately, except that the car was still happily in its lane and nothing weird otherwise happened.

Instance #4 and #5 - AP was not engaged at all. The alarm and warning message displayed as I was changing lanes, twice, complete with turn signal on. This is the weirdest to me.

I'll also mention one other thing I'm noticing -- the brake lights aren't acting like they used to with regards to regen. I'm fairly certain they used to come on when regen hit max. Now they aren't coming on until regen hits max and I drop about 20 MPH (at highway speed anyway). Again, not sure if related, buuuuut...

I've seen this message a couple of times. In each instance, I was using autopilot just fine, and then turned it off (with the lever, I think, but I might have just started turning the wheel) in order to change lanes. I heard the chime indicating that autopilot was turning off, but then it apparently turned back on and starting beeping loudly, telling me to take over immediately. In at least one case it was hard to steer. I turned autopilot off again with the lever and everything went back to normal.

iRobot.png

^ ^ ^ Essentially what autopilot feels like when this happens :D Always after a manual disengagement followed by a quick manoeuvre. Feels like layers of the system take different amounts of time to disengage, and / or their buffers aren't cleared properly...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Snowstorm
I get this message pretty regularly. As noted above, it seems to happen when I disengage AP in order to change lanes. The cruise control stays on, but the AP icon turns off, I do the lane change and as Im doing it, I get the warning to take over immediately. Its like the car doesnt know that my hand is in the steering wheel controlling the car.