Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery 3 weeks before battery day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a delivery date for my mode 3 SR+ for sept 5th. Battery day is the 22nd.

I fear my car will be out of date weeks after I take ownership, worse it may be overpriced.

there’s a hope it’l already have some upgrades if there are any.

Does Tesla have a history of honouring recent purchases with upgrades or discounts?

I’ve got a delivery date for my mode 3 SR+ for sept 5th. Battery day is the 22nd.

I fear my car will be out of date weeks after I take ownership, worse it may be overpriced.

there’s a hope it’l already have some upgrades if there are any.

Does Tesla have a history of honouring recent purchases with upgrades or discounts?

Not 3 weeks before, no, and you should not expect them to provide anything for a vehicle purchased 3 weeks before... just like any other vehicle sale.

Unlike virtually every other new vehicle sale, tesla has a return policy that lets you return the vehicle within 7 days of purchase. Expect that if you purchase a vehicle within 7 days of battery day, AND they make changes, because you are within the return policy you would be able to either return the vehicle or get a price adjustment if one exists.

Outside of that, all bets are off. If this bothers you, delay taking delivery to within 7 days of battery day... or not, and understand that IF there is something you want, you will likely be SOL.

Saying that, its "unlikely" there will be any big change for model 3s. If you are buying a model S, I would wait (if it were me, anyway).

What if it’s a cheaper battery with more range?

I also have appreciation for a tried and tested model 3. Maybe a new battery comes with a new set of potential problems.

Sure it's possible. I think it's unlikely for the 3/Y but I definitely share your concerns. You also make a good point about new technology potentially meaning new problems. At the end of the day I figured I could always look forward to a new announcement, and for me this car/purchase is about living in the now.

Sure it's possible. I think it's unlikely for the 3/Y but I definitely share your concerns. You also make a good point about new technology potentially meaning new problems. At the end of the day I figured I could always look forward to a new announcement, and for me this car/purchase is about living in the now.
Not 3 weeks before, no, and you should not expect them to provide anything for a vehicle purchased 3 weeks before... just like any other vehicle sale.

Unlike virtually every other new vehicle sale, tesla has a return policy that lets you return the vehicle within 7 days of purchase. Expect that if you purchase a vehicle within 7 days of battery day, AND they make changes, because you are within the return policy you would be able to either return the vehicle or get a price adjustment if one exists.

Outside of that, all bets are off. If this bothers you, delay taking delivery to within 7 days of battery day... or not, and understand that IF there is something you want, you will likely be SOL.

Saying that, its "unlikely" there will be any big change for model 3s. If you are buying a model S, I would wait (if it were me, anyway).

Unfortunately I just discovered there’s no return policy for my purchase because I’m buying it with incentives. There’s no incentive purchase return policy. And if I don’t take possession within a week it goes to the next interested buyer.

if I turn down the car and start the process over I may be in a backlog of the new “product”

it’s a paradox!

Unfortunately I just discovered there’s no return policy for my purchase because I’m buying it with incentives. There’s no incentive purchase return policy. And if I don’t take possession within a week it goes to the next interested buyer.

if I turn down the car and start the process over I may be in a backlog of the new “product”

it’s a paradox!

I doubt it... most of us that have been around here for a while dont think there will be anything (significant) for model 3s in the short term. That being said, no one knows. Its already bothering you, so maybe you should turn down the car and go back into the queue (and be prepared to wait longer).

I (nor anyone else) certainly cant promise there will be no changes to model 3s, we just dont think there will be "significant" ones (defining significant as much longer range battery, or something like that). Possible there are "minor" changes, but I honestly dont think so. I think almost everything announced will be more forward thinking, and model S / X related, and possibly Powerwall / energy storage related.

Reactions: Arpe
I'm kind of doubting any of the battery day stuff will be already in place and being implemented. To have that kind of work going on at their factories would be noticed I believe.

My guess is there will be info on future models (how they will keep cybertruck costs down, better powerwall power), or future (years out) refreshes for the current vehicle lineup. Think of Autonomy day last year. What changed in the current lineup with that?

And that's the hook for selling a car. Sure the 2019 Accord looks the same as the 2020, but the 2020 now has adaptive cruise standard, or a new improved stereo, or carplay, or they reworked the ECU to get another 15hp from the same motor... With over the air updates though, the nice thing is the model 3 will be kept up to date longer than any other new car. If you want to wait for the next gen Iphone just around the corner... You'll never buy an Iphone. It's a little less with Tesla, but I would be surprised if this does anything game changing to the 3 in the next year.

I was just scheduled for delivery on September 20th, which has been giving me pause. I forgot about the 7 day return policy though, but I wonder if they will give me a hard time should I try return the car the morning after any major announcements are made.

I was just scheduled for delivery on September 20th, which has been giving me pause. I forgot about the 7 day return policy though, but I wonder if they will give me a hard time should I try return the car the morning after any major announcements are made.
Keep in mind that if you return it, you won't be able to buy the same model and trim for 12 months.

I can help--yes, your car will be outdated ~3 weeks after purchase. This has always been the case with Tesla. Battery day is a big event, but it's not the first, and won't be the last. With Tesla you kind of have to accept that you're getting the best they have to offer at a particular moment in time, and they will keep advancing after you make your purchase. Make your purchase decision based upon the price and functionality they are offering now.

I try to look at it from the wide-angle lens: you're going to own the car for years. Over that span, Tesla will make significant advances, and your car will be greatly outclassed by future iterations. If you're OK with that, then also be ok with the potential of it happening in the shorter term.

I have a 2019 X and a June, 2020 build Model 3 (that replaced a 2018 Model 3 which went to a family member). The 2020 build 3 has a bunch of improvements vs the 2018, but is already behind compared to new 3s produced today. Same for the X. I'm not losing sleep over any of that, as all 3 are still fantastic vehicles.

Honestly, the most we’ll miss out on is the heat pump and chrome delete from the factory. Elon even stated bigger batteries won’t be coming to the Model 3, and Panasonic’s plan to increase battery density 20% is over a 5 year period so it will be super incremental and we won’t see 400 mile range Model 3s anytime soon. Model 3s don't depreciate too much just sell it a few years from now if there is a sudden change! I wouldn’t stress battery day so much, it’s most likely going to reveal how the Plaid Model S/ Cybertruck/ Roadster will achieve its high range numbers and not so much for the lower end.

I’m sorry, I’m new to this but what is battery day and what does it have to do with missing out? I’ve got an order in, and no VIN so far(Order date was August 11). I was told that I should get a VIN in a matter of a week or two... So this means I may get my car around the 22nd or so(Who knows If it will be before or after). If some additional things are on coming in the car, can I just decline my order for that day and schedule it a bit later? I know it will get reassigned.

I’m sorry, I’m new to this but what is battery day and what does it have to do with missing out? I’ve got an order in, and no VIN so far(Order date was August 11). I was told that I should get a VIN in a matter of a week or two... So this means I may get my car around the 22nd or so(Who knows If it will be before or after). If some additional things are on coming in the car, can I just decline my order for that day and schedule it a bit later? I know it will get reassigned.

Battery Investors day is an event where Tesla is going to show off new battery technology meaning more range for less cost, so everyone is under the assumption the Model 3 will suddenly be outdated after 9/22 which won’t be the case. It won’t suddenly be marked down a few thousand dollars and go many more miles, rather it’ll be introduced gradually and most likely for the S/X and Cybertruck.

Folks - whatever big news comes out of Battery Day - it is more likely to be about stuff that is at least 3-6 months down the road;
for 90% of us that have gotten excited enough about Tesla to buy one - a bigger battery would be "nice" but should not affect the way we feel about current cars;

as many have said before - the "Average" American drives between 30 and 45 miles a day; and 95% of Americans drive less than 85 miles a day; so if Elon announces a battery for the M3 which is now going to be 400or 450 miles on a charge - how much does that really change the lives of 95% of us?

not a whole lot I think .....
If you want one - buy it now! if you have one already - don't feel bad about your car because of what might happen at battery day!

I for one will be thrilled if they up the batteries in the not too distant future - it will simply be a validation of where this tech is going ...
and will be one more thing i can hit my friends with who tell me that buying an EV was a mistake....

:)

Reactions: NpOverspeed
Folks - whatever big news comes out of Battery Day - it is more likely to be about stuff that is at least 3-6 months down the road;
for 90% of us that have gotten excited enough about Tesla to buy one - a bigger battery would be "nice" but should not affect the way we feel about current cars;

as many have said before - the "Average" American drives between 30 and 45 miles a day; and 95% of Americans drive less than 85 miles a day; so if Elon announces a battery for the M3 which is now going to be 400or 450 miles on a charge - how much does that really change the lives of 95% of us?

not a whole lot I think .....
If you want one - buy it now! if you have one already - don't feel bad about your car because of what might happen at battery day!

I for one will be thrilled if they up the batteries in the not too distant future - it will simply be a validation of where this tech is going ...
and will be one more thing i can hit my friends with who tell me that buying an EV was a mistake....

:)
Great post. Not worth waiting to purchase a model 3 if you’re ready now.

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass