Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking the plunge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I've been a long-time lurker of this and the general forums.

I thought I'd come out of the woodwork and say hi today, the day my wife and I will place our deposit for the X 90D.

After having deliberated over the pros and cons (financial, social, technical, spiritual) ad nauseam, we did an extended test drive (having 2 little ones in car seats, a regular test drive just wasn't practical).

It was a combination of the test drive experience, AP2 coming out, and lastly today's announcement of limiting long distance supercharging on future sales that led us to take the plunge sooner rather than waiting on the possible 100D.

I want to sincerely thank the regulars on this forum for having taken the time to provide all your feedback.

Cheers!

Soon it will be your turn to give back! Help contribute for the next group of Tesla owners. I definitely read far more than I post, but occasionally I try to post something if for no other reason than to acknowledge someone. Hence..

• Love
Reactions: DIL
Thanks guys!

I'll definitely be sharing my thoughts and experiences...

FWIW, this is the config I'm going with...

90D 6-seater Pearl white, 20" stock, ultra-white interior w/o PUP (we don't want perforated seats w/the kiddos), w/EAP, not enabling self-driving, subzero and towing package
Wonderful choices! I think it is exactly what I would go with as well if I could get a second X. We too have two little ones in car seats and can totally relate to what your saying!
You may have seen some of our YouTube videos where my wife Kim and little boys are often on.
It's called Like Tesla.
Congrats on your order and enjoy the countdown!

Now that I've taken the plunge as well after a year of hesitation, I can tell you the waiting time that follows the deposit is excruciating. I've been vacillating wildly since then, spending way too much time lurking on this forum. I even woke up this morning with economic anxieties due to the outcome of the US election, and wondered if I should cancel my order.

Reactions: vrykolas
Congrats! Been lurking around the forums myself since I put my deposit in a few weeks ago and decided to make my first post recently after reading yours.

I also struggled waiting for the 100D but decided to just go for it like you did - no time like the present!

Reactions: Aieukl378
Wonderful choices! I think it is exactly what I would go with as well if I could get a second X. We too have two little ones in car seats and can totally relate to what your saying!
You may have seen some of our YouTube videos where my wife Kim and little boys are often on.
It's called Like Tesla.
Congrats on your order and enjoy the countdown!

My wife and I have seen every single one of your videos- thanks so so so much for having posted them :)

• Love
Reactions: EV Family
@polymathic, @MX458Dave, @Finder

You guys nailed what's been on my mind since last night... should I cancel my (cash) order on my luxurious X, stow away the cash, and ride out the Trumpstorm?

Frankly speaking, my family and I find ourselves quite shaken.
Would you really cancel your order based on the Presidential election? I did not vote for Trump but wold not cancel an order for a car and lose my deposit over any election result.

Reactions: championi
Would you really cancel your order based on the Presidential election? I did not vote for Trump but wold not cancel an order for a car and lose my deposit over any election result.

I don't know what I would have done before I got the car. As it is, I'll stick it out - but the way this election went, I do feel like there's much more risk of angry drivers/folks in the parking lot and/or vandalism towards EVs in general now, and possibly still more in the future if Trump makes an issue of it.

I can understand not wanting to stand out as a probable Liberal/Democrat with an above average income right now (I realize our polls show that Tesla owners come from all over the political spectrum, but I doubt they are perceived as such.)

Of course, my previous car was a Volt, which has a special place in the heart of EV haters for reasons that aren't always obvious (I suspect mostly leftover from the smear campaign against the car in 2010/2011.)

I don't know what I would have done before I got the car. As it is, I'll stick it out - but the way this election went, I do feel like there's much more risk of angry drivers/folks in the parking lot and/or vandalism towards EVs in general now, and possibly still more in the future if Trump makes an issue of it.

I can understand not wanting to stand out as a probable Liberal/Democrat with an above average income right now (I realize our polls show that Tesla owners come from all over the political spectrum, but I doubt they are perceived as such.)

Of course, my previous car was a Volt, which has a special place in the heart of EV haters for reasons that aren't always obvious (I suspect mostly leftover from the smear campaign against the car in 2010/2011.)

I appreciate your comment- thank you.

Sure, relatively speaking, my profession places my family in the upper middle class, and affords us the Model X straight cash. But we're also "normal" folks in the sense that we shop Walmart, Aldi, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco... And we live in an area where there are many have nots, and a region where 1 of 10 vehicles is a monster truck wannabe raking coal at every light. So sure, the thought of those beautiful FWDs being a magnet of haters also crosses my mind.

I appreciate your comment- thank you.

Sure, relatively speaking, my profession places my family in the upper middle class, and affords us the Model X straight cash. But we're also "normal" folks in the sense that we shop Walmart, Aldi, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco... And we live in an area where there are many have nots, and a region where 1 of 10 vehicles is a monster truck wannabe raking coal at every light. So sure, the thought of those beautiful FWDs being a magnet of haters also crosses my mind.

That's a pretty good snapshot for most of us, I think - not wealthy, but willing to spend extra on the car. I don't think the average uninformed unemployed person sees us that way, though - and we certainly do have some folks in the forum with half a dozen expensive cars and fewer worried about bills as well.

(I tend to think any American actively opposing Tesla right now who isn't short TSLA must be uninformed - from balance of trade to American energy and American jobs, they are doing good things for us, but I'm not sure they are perceived that way.)

Maybe because I work in technology it is different, but so far everyone I have even mentioned the Model X to has been very fascinated. No response like you might get with a high end sports car - folks want to see what it is about and learn more about it because it is unique and you don't see many of them. If anything I would think the FWDs help add a different element to the car beyond it being an EV. I am not so worried that folks would look at the car and have negative feelings at all.

At least... I hope that is the case! Will be driving mine to a parking deck every day that doesn't have any other Tesla vehicles (tons of Leafs though) and around town... My biggest trivial around town concern at the moment is any valet won't know how to open the doors :) I was puzzled when I first got into the Model X and tried to open a door to be honest. The auto-opening front doors should take care of that though.

Maybe because I work in technology it is different, but so far everyone I have even mentioned the Model X to has been very fascinated. No response like you might get with a high end sports car - folks want to see what it is about and learn more about it because it is unique and you don't see many of them. If anything I would think the FWDs help add a different element to the car beyond it being an EV. I am not so worried that folks would look at the car and have negative feelings at all.

At least... I hope that is the case! Will be driving mine to a parking deck every day that doesn't have any other Tesla vehicles (tons of Leafs though) and around town... My biggest trivial around town concern at the moment is any valet won't know how to open the doors :) I was puzzled when I first got into the Model X and tried to open a door to be honest. The auto-opening front doors should take care of that though.

I have yet to encounter a negative reaction in person, but I'm not confident that will continue as things change. It's possible I'm just being paranoid...