TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tan Nappa Leather

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by napabill, Nov 30, 2012.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Just received my S last night, and have now had some time with it. Both my wife and I have observed that the color of the so-called Tan leather is much closer to beige/white than the tan shown in the Design Studio. Anyone else notice this?

2. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Can you show us a photo? Please put something that you know is a neutral white in the image, so one can color-correct if necessary.

3. napabill

napabill Active Member

It's pouring rain/storming right now, but first part of the week when there's a little better light I will.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Just to clarify, something that is 'known' to be a neutral shade of white. Some may see things differently.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

That had been reported quite a while back during the test rides/drives...I was glad b/c I really didn't like the tan color in the photos, couldn't get gray until December which was suggested as a cause of delay (turns out it wasn't). But I'm glad it's a less gaudy color.

6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Tastes vary. :)

Interesting. I made a point of visiting a Tesla store to look at the leather samples. While the tan is less brown/orange than in the Design Studio, it was still far too brown/orange for my tastes.

The grey, however, was a lot lighter and closer to off-white than I expected. The grey appears really dark in the studio but it's actually very pale.

7. RyanG

RyanG Member

Yes, I was looking at some test drive cars at the Menlo Park store a few weeks back and noticed the same for both perf and non-perf seats. I even asked a rep what color they were, thinking they may somehow be a sig white, but he told me that they were in fact the tan. Too bad, I was hoping for a darker tan.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Maybe it is even lighter now then, I haven't seen a production sample.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

9. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I'm definitely going to need a visit to the store to see real samples, then... I've been relying on the website, but that's obviously not a good idea. And I was planning on getting the tan, so my preference may be different when I see it IRL.

10. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Maybe not exactly what you requested, but this is a photo of the brown display model in the DC store from September. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tan leather was lighter than what the design studio suggested.

IMG_20120909_115347.jpg

11. napabill

napabill Active Member

That's the color of our Tan as well. We were hoping for something a little richer, but it is fine.

12. Sig698

Sig698 Model S Sig Perf #698

We have the tan as well and are glad it's light. There's not that much difference between the tan and sig white that we've seen, kind of makes us wonder if we should have just gone with white for the exclusivity (we were worried about it getting dirty).

13. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Yes, I noticed that in the store display. Not much warmth to it, but it does create a nice contrast to the darker elements in the interior, and it's a nice match to the headliner. The Design Studio seems to be a bit off on paint colors as well and is likely affected by the computer it's viewed on.

14. napabill

napabill Active Member

15. Schlermie

Schlermie P4932 - Delivery: 12/22

I think it's very dependent on the lighting conditions. You should definitely view some real samples, preferably in an actual Model S. I had been making all my color decisions based on the website design studio and showroom samples, but I completely changed my decisions after seeing them in an actual Model S. The tan leather in a Model S in the sunlight does look almost like the white leather. When I saw the samples in the showroom, they looked closer to the tan in the website design studio. I couldn't believe it was the same leather, so I took a sample out to a Model S in the sunlight, and the sample definitely matched the leather in the car. I think the sunlight and the large surface area in the car (maybe combined with the black/tan interior scheme) just makes it appear lighter.

Don't forget, none of those images in the website design studio are actual photographs. They're all computer generated, and the colors are not very precise.

16. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Agree 100%.

I thought the tan leather looked awful based on the website. When I first saw it in DC in both the brown and the blue models, I was really impressed. I was considering blue/black or blue/grey, and I decided it would be blue/tan v. blue/grey based on this experience. Similarly, I drove a silver/grey car in Oakbrook not too long ago, and I was thinking the grey would look similar to the grey leather in my Honda. In reality, the leather was a very washed out grey and I personally hated it.

So, if you can see it in the flesh, you might make some very unexpected changes in your configuration. I certainly did.

17. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Heh. And I was thinking the grey would be too dark, and discovered that it was a very washed out grey and I liked it. :biggrin:

Seeing the colors in person (on the model Model Ss) made me quite sure that I couldn't tolerate any exterior color except white, also.

Absoutely. Unless you have a color-corrected monitor displaying color-corrected photos -- perhaps some artists do, but most of us don't -- you have to see the colors in person.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Or at least photos with a grey scale and colour chart in them so you do the correcting.