Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tankless water heaters are terrible....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to install a tankless electric water heater for my property but none of the options I've found are outdoors. They all recommend being installed indoors. Does anyone know any that are allowed outdoor or the reason why? I'm not interested in gas nor traditional tanks.

Closest reason I found were due to freezing temperatures but I don't remember ever getting those here in Southern California.

My existing gas tank water heater is already outside near my electrical panel (but not too close) so I'd like to use the same location. I'm not sure where to put it if I were to choose an indoor location. It'd look weird in my living room/kitchen, our closets are too small, our garage is becoming an ADU, and I'd like to avoid bathrooms/bedrooms.

I've been eye'ing this Rheem unit for a while:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MS9DVEE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_oW-8Eb4FR5288
How big is your electrical service entrance panel? The Tankless you are looking at requires three 40A 240V breakers so it could pull 120Amps all by itself, every time someone fills a tub, takes a shower, or runs the washing machine.

For our cool mountain climate, I'm interested in Sanden's heat pump water heaters because they work in low temperatures and do not require resistive heating coils. They use an outdoor compressor, just like an HVAC heat pump, and the tank is kept in a protected or indoor space. It would be nice to buy something like this when our gas-fueled water heater is ready to be replaced.

See For Professionals - Eco2 Systems
Excited to see CO2 refrigerant (R-744) finally making it into a residential heat pump water heater (HPWH). Getting this into a standard single unit residential HPWH would be a nice next step as would incorporating it into residential air space heat pumps.

Modern refrigerants no longer have a high ozone depleting potential (ODP), but if leaked have significant Global Warming Potential (GWP). For example, the common R-410A has an ODP of 0 but a GWP of 2,088. CO2 also has an ODP of 0 but GWP of only 1.

From an accounting perspective, one might claim the GWP of CO2 is really 0 as no new CO2 has to be manufactured given production unconstrained CO2 byproduct from fossil fuel combustion.

Excited to see CO2 refrigerant (R-744) finally making it into a residential heat pump water heater (HPWH). Getting this into a standard single unit residential HPWH would be a nice next step as would incorporating it into residential air space heat pumps.

Modern refrigerants no longer have a high ozone depleting potential (ODP), but if leaked have significant Global Warming Potential (GWP). For example, the common R-410A has an ODP of 0 but a GWP of 2,088. CO2 also has an ODP of 0 but GWP of only 1.

From an accounting perspective, one might claim the GWP of CO2 is really 0 as no new CO2 has to be manufactured given production unconstrained CO2 byproduct from fossil fuel combustion.

R134a is supposed to be phased out by 2024 and it's replacement R1234yf has a GWP of <1 to 4. There appears to be some confusion although even a GWP of ~4 would be WAY better than R134a.

Here’s one for the heat pump gurus:

I’m in a townhouse which has a 40 gallon natural gas powered water heater in the attic. Due to the location, nothing larger than a 40 gallon will fit (do have some spare height but no spare width). I just discovered rheem makes a 40 gallon model now (this must be recent? I checked a month or two ago and the smallest was 50). So physically, one could fit (lifting it into the attic is another matter...).

However, electrically the house can’t really support the 30A model, and the 15A one is tricky too. I have about 7 amps of spare capacity according to the load calcs- only 125A service, so I would have to bump the car charging speed down further to something like 24A, which I would rather not do. The 125A service cannot be upgraded without triggering an avalanche of utility upgrades costing tens of thousands of dollars. House is/was all gas appliances, we ripped out the furnace for mini splits, but stove/oven, dryer, and water heater are gas. The house originally had 60A service!

Anyway turns out the current water heater is about a year old. So I have time, obviously. But I have an upcoming project where a nice pathway from attic to garage is open, and the conduit run would be pretty inexpensive to do.

All my neighbors have upgraded to gas tankless. My wife and probably my kids will try to lean heavily to gas tankless when the time comes, but I guess I’ll run this conduit now, just in case. I just doubt a 40 gallon 15A rheem would cut it for a family of 4.

For fun I looked up solar thermal (we have space on the east facing roof for some collectors), but that kinda seems like a dying industry at least in the US residential market. I think we would be back to a 30A traditional electric hot water heater too, as backup.

I have about 7 amps of spare capacity according to the load calcs- only 125A service, so I would have to bump the car charging speed down further to something like 24A, which I would rather not do.

It is almost unfathomable that a townhouse would load calculate to anywhere near 125amps. That’s 30kw!!! Maybe check how you’re mathing there.

If you charge your car at 30A at night, for instance, that’s your 30A for the heat pump right there. Just don’t have them run at the same time.

Unfortunately I have run the calcs a few times and it does in fact fathom (did the panel upgrade myself, as well as the electrical for the A/C, requiring me to become an expert in doing these so I could pull the permits). The reality is that having two electric vehicles (one Tesla, one not) eats up a good chunk of capacity if you like to have somewhat quick home recharging. Yes, I've lived with 16A, and even 120V charging (bleh) and while 99.9% of the time it's fine, sometimes it's nice to charge at full speed. :) Of course once we have two Teslas and the third gen wall connector gets a software update, we can power share at might get a few more amps there.

Here's the latest one, I haven't done the alternative method with my current loads, and I might gain a few amps by doing so, but certainly not enough capacity to spare 30A. I have the wall connector set to 32A currently, although it's set up to be able to run at 48A (6ga wire, 60A breaker).

load calc.jpeg

Since I hadn't looked into the alternative method of doing residential load calcs in a while, I did it here really quick:

Current load:
14850+1788+3840+7680+540= 28698
First 10,000VA = 10,000
40% of remain = 7,479
Add AC = 17,479 + 6,000
Total = 23,479 VA
~98A

So I guess I do have enough capacity for the 15A without issue, and the 30A is still close, but doable:
14850+1788+3840+7680+540+5000 = 33698
First 10,000 VA = 10,000
40% of remain = 9,479
Add AC = 19479 + 6,000
Total = 25,479
~106A

I guess I had not explored the alternative method calcs more thoroughly... amazing that they could come up with such different results! I guess a heat pump hot water heater is possible for us. Stay tuned for 10 years or so... :p

I have run the calcs a few times
On the calcs above, for 16. 25% of largest motor, you have 1326 VA. Where is that number coming from? Isn't the largest motor the garage door opener at 540 VA? 25% of that would only be 135 VA. Or is that number coming from the HVAC? You seem to be more experienced than I at load calcs, so I'd welcome an opportunity to be educated, thanks.

For fun I looked up solar thermal (we have space on the east facing roof for some collectors), but that kinda seems like a dying industry at least in the US residential market. I think we would be back to a 30A traditional electric hot water heater too, as backup.

Yep... you can invest $6k in a solar thermal system that will offset ~70% of your water heating with solar OR invest in a $1500 HPWH and add ~500w to a PV system increasing the cost ~$1500 to offset your water heating 100%. $6k for 70% or $3k for 100%?

Keep in mind that the 15A and 30A requirement is based on the resistance elements for backup heat. The compressor itself uses ~3A. There might be a way to disable the resistance elements. Depending on how long your showers are and how they're spaced I think a 40gal HPWH could probably work with a family of 4 in So. Cal.

On the calcs above, for 16. 25% of largest motor, you have 1326 VA. Where is that number coming from?
Coming from the HVAC. I seemed to have mixed up the total circuit amps (the indoor units are powered via the compressor circuit) which is 22.1A, but the full load current of the motor is 12A. So I can readjust it down to 720. It's good for another ~2.5A.

minisplit electrical.jpeg

Of course the city never caught it... guess they just care that 118 < 125. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
Here’s one for the heat pump gurus:

I’m in a townhouse which has a 40 gallon natural gas powered water heater in the attic. Due to the location, nothing larger than a 40 gallon will fit (do have some spare height but no spare width). I just discovered rheem makes a 40 gallon model now (this must be recent? I checked a month or two ago and the smallest was 50). So physically, one could fit (lifting it into the attic is another matter...).

However, electrically the house can’t really support the 30A model, and the 15A one is tricky too. I have about 7 amps of spare capacity according to the load calcs- only 125A service, so I would have to bump the car charging speed down further to something like 24A, which I would rather not do. The 125A service cannot be upgraded without triggering an avalanche of utility upgrades costing tens of thousands of dollars. House is/was all gas appliances, we ripped out the furnace for mini splits, but stove/oven, dryer, and water heater are gas. The house originally had 60A service!

Anyway turns out the current water heater is about a year old. So I have time, obviously. But I have an upcoming project where a nice pathway from attic to garage is open, and the conduit run would be pretty inexpensive to do.

All my neighbors have upgraded to gas tankless. My wife and probably my kids will try to lean heavily to gas tankless when the time comes, but I guess I’ll run this conduit now, just in case. I just doubt a 40 gallon 15A rheem would cut it for a family of 4.

Yep... you can invest $6k in a solar thermal system that will offset ~70% of your water heating with solar OR invest in a $1500 HPWH and add ~500w to a PV system increasing the cost ~$1500 to offset your water heating 100%. $6k for 70% or $3k for 100%?

Keep in mind that the 15A and 30A requirement is based on the resistance elements for backup heat. The compressor itself uses ~3A. There might be a way to disable the resistance elements. Depending on how long your showers are and how they're spaced I think a 40gal HPWH could probably work with a family of 4 in So. Cal.
Yeah, stay away from solar hot water. Only seems to make sense for heating pools these days. I kind of wonder if solar PV actually makes more sense here as well now that you have 20% efficient solar panels if you could use a heat pump. The size of the heat pump would probably need to be huge compared to the hot water heaters we're talking about.
Didn't realize there was heat pumps for heating pools!:

One issue I think we're going to have to solve is how to avoid cost prohibitive panel upgrades. With the right demand response your typical house with ~100A service panel could easily handle all the electrification you'd need instead of the 200A panel that code requires since it basically assumes that you need to be able to handle every single appliance and device running at max load (ok, not quite, but pretty much).

In reality, most of the time you are running things at different times, and even if you did have everything running at once, if you could dial down the power for certain appliances or alter the timing, you could easily avoid panel upgrades.

Examples of high power devices that run intermittently and could be good opportunities for smart demand response:
EV Charging - Easiest one here
Dryer - same here, you'd probably be happen to extend run-time if needed
Heat pump water heater - just lock out the resistance elements at times
HVAC - Dial down the power
Oven - how often does this need to run at full power? Only when

Biggest issue with many of these is that they often pull high amounts of power for short periods of time - Oven and your typical single stage HVAC come to mind.

That said, I'm aware of two products that can allow you to add EV charging while sharing existing panel capacity (and to keep this on-topic, add/keep your heat pump water heater!):

DCC-9 and DCC-10 - Turns off EV circuit if main breaker exceeds 80% load. Biggest issue here is that abruptly turning off power is not ideal, IMO. Not sure what the long-term effects of doing this to an EV are.

Dryer Buddy - Basically lets you share your dryer outlet with your EVSE. Has automatic versions that automatically turn off the EVSE if the dryer is on.

I would love to see some sort of standard here with a centralized system that lets you set up priority of appliances and handles power sharing automatically. Also, instead of completely disabling appliances, instead dial down the max current. Think of how multiple Tesla HPWC handles sharing a circuit, but on steroids.

I guess the question is - can you build this cheaper than your typical service panel upgrade?

All of this kind of highlights how an integrated whole house heating/cooling system could probably get some big efficiency gains at least during certain parts of the year - Think Octovalve but for your house.

I have run the calcs a few times
1500 watts for a 120v circuit that does not run kitchen appliances is overkill for my home. I'm not sure if I even reach 100 watts. I suppose it may have been true back in the days of strings of incandescent bulbs and 500 watt computer setups. Nowadays my thirstiest bulb is 28 watts although most are ~ 15 watts; and my biggest charger in the house draws 30 watts.

People should be allowed to monitor home current for a year instead of calc sheets that are worse case scenarios.

Last edited:
1500 watts for a 120v circuit that does not run kitchen appliances is overkill for my home.
I would say that’s generally true. Unfortunately NEC doesn’t see it that way. As shown above it is very conservative. NEC is all about preventing fire, not saving a few bucks or squeezing “just a bit more” on a panel.

Considering the efficiency improvements over the years, we could maybe see some of these things adjusted (watts per square ft being a big one), but the code has to cover everyone’s case, and that includes those who horde 100 watt incandescent bulbs as well as those who only have 100 watts total on their branch circuits. Code must cover both and be as conservative as possible for safety.