Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm or people are just uneducated... I know I would prefer smarts over just some crossed/splitted wires inside a plastic aftermarket part that could overload or damage my Tesla.

Without knowing the smarts/build of Jeda i would think it has some sort of fail safe.

That's fear-mongering and completely misleading. You should avoid making uneducated guesses about one product over another based on something that "looks" more high tech. Nothing inside the taptes hub is going to overload or damage your Tesla.

Hmmm or people are just uneducated... I know I would prefer smarts over just some crossed/splitted wires inside a plastic aftermarket part that could overload or damage my Tesla.

Without knowing the smarts/build of Jeda i would think it has some sort of fail safe.

There’s likely a zero chance of damaging anything in the Tesla. It’s just a glorified splitter and the Tesla has failsafes anyway.

Yes. Here's whats inside the Jeda -
View attachment 533477 View attachment 533478

..some nice looking power management and a controller chip (unlabeled) - a lot better than what is in most hubs. If you REALLY want I could shoot some pictures of the taptes boards, but that would involve me digging it out of the trash. See my post above - there's NOTHING on the taptes boards.
Here's the Taptes hub internals - no smarts, only couple of resistors on USB-C port

USB5.jpg

USB2.jpg
USB1.jpg
USB3.jpg
USB4.jpg

Attachments

• USB5.jpg
    USB5.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 55

I've had my TapTes for over 3 months now, works great, don't give it a second thought. Sentry mode works fine, the new Tesla player works well. I'm using the Sandisk Extreme SSD. Even if the TapTes hub is just a USB router with no smarts, not being as smart as the Jeda hub, is transparent for my usage. What I'm not crazy about is the Jeda Wireless Charging Pad, it's very picky about where I place my phone, sometimes take 2 or 3 tries and I need to move my phone around in order for the wireless connection to be established. Also, the charger will randomly lose connection with the phone and stop charging, possibly the phone moves slightly under hard acceleration and is no longer in the exact right spot, just not reliable. This issue is there without the TapTes hub so it's just the Jeda charger that doesn't work very well. Sorry for the rant, but just because you pay more, doesn't always mean it's a better value.

Reactions: Acroyear
Also, the [Jeda] charger will randomly lose connection with the phone and stop charging, possibly the phone moves slightly under hard acceleration and is no longer in the exact right spot, just not reliable. This issue is there without the TapTes hub so it's just the Jeda charger that doesn't work very well. Sorry for the rant, but just because you pay more, doesn't always mean it's a better value.

While my current Taptes charger works perfect, launch after launch. Never moves a bit or loses connection. It also charges my iPhone to full with the screen on 100% brightness while streaming music via bluetooth.

While my current Taptes charger works perfect, launch after launch. Never moves a bit or loses connection. It also charges my iPhone to full with the screen on 100% brightness while streaming music via bluetooth.
This may be a little misleading to some. The iPhone maxes out at 7.5 watts charging when on the latest iOS (it was at 5 watt max when Apple first introduced it). Charging to "full" in the conditions you state may be happening, but it certainly isn't charging to that from (for example) a sub 20% SOC to 100% in a 15 minute drive.

There are some Android phones which go to 15 watts.

Regardless, charging via a wired connection with a reasonable amperage connection will always be faster than wireless.

All that said, I am happy with my Taptes - it does the job.

ETA: sorry for contributing to the thread drift from the original topic: the Taptes HUB

This may be a little misleading to some. The iPhone maxes out at 7.5 watts charging when on the latest iOS (it was at 5 watt max when Apple first introduced it). Charging to "full" in the conditions you state may be happening, but it certainly isn't charging to that from (for example) a sub 20% SOC to 100% in a 15 minute drive.

Nothing at all misleading about my post, at least not intended. My point was just as stated: With the screen on (not in sleep mode) and while streaming music, it will still provide enough charge to charge the phone all the way to 100%. We all know the limitations of wireless, that's understood by most. I didn't say how long it takes, just pointing out that the Taptes can MORE than keep up.