Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.....they didn’t waste any time. Disgusting if you ask me. But I guess that’s capitalism for you. That’s a direct copy of the Nomad, straight from China (Hong Kong). Already have my Nomad and LOVE it.

Ski
Yeah, am not trusting that to be in my car at all times, in high heat and so on. I'll buy the original, thank you very much!

Nomad is made in China as well.

Looks to me like it was probably made in the same factory the Nomad is made in and they offered an external battery option of 10,000 mah instead of the 6,000 built in unit (I did read that Nomad is now not including the built in battery as they feel it is not necessary anymore and just put in a metal plate now), if it comes with detachable cables like on the Jeda I would consider this cheaper unit superior but thats just my opinion.

From the Nomad site
Coated in a high end thermoplastic silicone rubber, your phones will stay in place on even the tightest corners. Assisted with side and bottom walls and a weighted stainless steel core, Wireless Charger is built for any and all driving conditions.

No more mention of a built in battery except for previous reviews so...?

Last edited:

Looks to me like it was probably made in the same factory the Nomad is made in and they offered an external battery option of 10,000 mah instead of the 6,000 built in unit (I did read that Nomad is now not including the built in battery as they feel it is not necessary anymore and just put in a metal plate now), if it comes with detachable cables like on the Jeda I would consider this cheaper unit superior but thats just my opinion.
My thought process is that you pay for what you get: corners have to be cut to make that price.

My thought process is that you pay for what you get: corners have to be cut to make that price.
Nomad recently cut corners as well by removing the internal battery and keeping the price the same, I do not have anything against Nomad and I have the Jeda already but this unit seems like the exact same thing at a fraction of the price so I thought forum members would want to know thats all.

Nomad recently cut corners as well by removing the internal battery and keeping the price the same, I do not have anything against Nomad and I have the Jeda already but this unit seems like the exact same thing at a fraction of the price so I thought forum members would want to know thats all.
If nomad doesn't reduce the price now that they have removed the battery I may just take a chance on one of these taptes ones.

From the Nomad site
Coated in a high end thermoplastic silicone rubber, your phones will stay in place on even the tightest corners. Assisted with side and bottom walls and a weighted stainless steel core, Wireless Charger is built for any and all driving conditions.

No more mention of a built in battery except for previous reviews so...?
And they didn’t even reduce the price? I don’t know if it warrants the premium without the battery even though it’s not needed.

Keep in mind that factories in China (and some other countries but mostly China) are notorious for cranking out off brand versions of the product they produce for another customer but cutting corners to reduce their costs.

IMO the most likely place to cut corners is by using a cheaper charging coil unit.

Someone will have to crack open one of these and a Nomad to see what differences there are.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Keep in mind that factories in China (and some other countries but mostly China) are notorious for cranking out off brand versions of the product they produce for another customer but cutting corners to reduce their costs.

IMO the most likely place to cut corners is by using a cheaper charging coil unit.

Someone will have to crack open one of these and a Nomad to see what differences there are.

Two things: The startup costs of a product line are the most expensive. The costs to make 10,000 vs. 1,000 are minor in comparison. Also, it's not like the coils, ICs, etc. are unique to the Nomad product. It all off-the-shelf stuff except for the rubber pad.

Reactions: JeffK
Two things: The startup costs of a product line are the most expensive. The costs to make 10,000 vs. 1,000 are minor in comparison. Also, it's not like the coils, ICs, etc. are unique to the Nomad product. It all off-the-shelf stuff except for the rubber pad.

You don't think that there are specification differences in charging coils or that a company like Nomad doesn't have specification requirements for those charging coils?

Remember that $1 cost difference is meaningless to your typical American but could be a big deal to the guy making the gray market version of this product.

No big deal if both charging coils meet specifications, but if they don't......

This is exactly why Apple warns people not to use off brand chargers with their phones... there are thousands of documented cases of those things starting fires. Did the Chinese factory making it want to burn your house down? Of course not... but they did a part substitution with a cheaper/inferior/untested component.

There is a big issue with Chinese manufacturing. They will cut back on quality to save a few pennies. The problem is that they will do it to everything including the parts they make for Nomad.

People have cracked open a genuine Apple charger and compared it to the no-name stuff on eBay and there's a huge difference. Apple prides itself on their engineering, so it's not a shock. I'm not convinced the people who make the Nomad are providing a product that's heads and shoulders above the competition. If you want to prove it, crack it open and take a look.

I am waiting on a Nomad price drop before buying one. No price budge after removing the battery?...

I am going to buy the Taptes until if/when Nomad brings down their price... If they sellout all they can crank out... more power to them tho...