Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is only possible with USB-C Power Delivery on Apple devices since Apple doesn't support Qualcomm QC, and as discussed earlier the available USB-C cigarette lighter adapters stick so far out of the port that the USB cable conflicts with the removable tray. So it's possible, but not exactly convenient. My trusty 5V/2.4A adapter is good enough for now.
This works fine with plenty of room to spare and no chance of kinking the wire,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2FTS3X/ref=dp_prsubs_2?th=1
only really needed for SO when traveling cause she can't put the phone down long enough to get a charge, damn I just realized I must be boring as hell on a road trip? Nah....? Maybe...? Nah!
s92I14uFTF6Dsjm0uO5OwA.jpg HccepotXRi62LLY+SevsUg.jpg +dfs%TxJSIWO5QXqxddAJw.jpg

Reactions: Eno Deb
Last edited:
So I just got my Taptes charger. Works great with my iPhone8 and my Pixel 3 XL. The Pixel is a bit of a tight fit with my OtterBox case, but does fit. I have a couple of questions. I bought the fast charge version, so I got a battery with it. But the instructions for the Taptes don't mention the battery and the battery instructions are in Chinese. The battery has two standard USB plugs and one USB-C. What do I do with the battery? Also, for those that have this installed, did you use the little felt feet they provided? Mine seemed to fit fine without them.

Thanks in advance!!

Keith

Reactions: bd7349
Meant to say one plug was micro-USB, not USB-C. And it came with a short USB to micro-USB cable. I assume that is to charge the battery. So do I plug the two cables from the Taptes charger both into the battery and the battery into the car, or one cable to the battery and one to the second car USB?

Meant to say one plug was micro-USB, not USB-C. And it came with a short USB to micro-USB cable. I assume that is to charge the battery. So do I plug the two cables from the Taptes charger both into the battery and the battery into the car, or one cable to the battery and one to the second car USB?

Also wondering the same thing. The battery seems really annoying so far, it turns off after a minute or two with no activity and also doesn't allow passthrough charging so I can't keep it plugged into the car with the Taptes plugged into it. So now I've got one USB cable from the Taptes plugged into the car and the other plugged into the battery.

This is still annoying though because as I said before, the battery turns off after a minute or two with no use so I have to open the center console, press the button on the battery to turn it on, and then it will finally start to work... until someone takes their phone off the charging pad for a minute or two to answer a text. By then the battery has gone back into sleep mode and won't start charging again until you open the center console and press the button on the battery again. As you can imagine this gets annoying very quickly.

Also wondering the same thing. The battery seems really annoying so far, it turns off after a minute or two with no activity and also doesn't allow passthrough charging so I can't keep it plugged into the car with the Taptes plugged into it. So now I've got one USB cable from the Taptes plugged into the car and the other plugged into the battery.

This is still annoying though because as I said before, the battery turns off after a minute or two with no use so I have to open the center console, press the button on the battery to turn it on, and then it will finally start to work... until someone takes their phone off the charging pad for a minute or two to answer a text. By then the battery has gone back into sleep mode and won't start charging again until you open the center console and press the button on the battery again. As you can imagine this gets annoying very quickly.
I thought I’d share this...
I received this in an email reply from Taptes regarding a communication of my concerns the battery:

Regarding your suggestions of battery, that is a good question, maybe other M3 owners also have, so we followed your suggestions and put it in the description area on product page to make it more clear. You may still use the battery, as it will not stop working once you pick your phone from charging mat, it will wait some time, then stop supplying power, if just very short time, still the battery will continue supply power, also only with the battery, 7.5W charging on iPhone and 10W fast charging on Android will be supported.
We have added below on product page:
“it starts charging your phone once connected to the wireless charger. For safety considerations, it was designed to stop working if phones removed from wireless charging pad for a moment (it will not stop if it is very short time), then you will need to press the button on module to make it re-start supplying power. This design is to ensure once your Tesla is off, the charger will stop working also.” “

hanks for this info. ! You have saved me a lot of trouble returning the Nomad. In spite of the cost difference, I guess I will just keep it, since the Taptes is not better in that regard. I have learned to get my cased N8 to fit by pressing down on that lip with the bottom edge of my phone while squeezing it onto the pad. (Fortunately, there is some flex to that lip.) Once in place, at least the N8 is securely locked in and not going anywhere with rapid turns, bumps or with accelerating.

Same!

I ordered a Nomad back in November, but it said it was back-ordered with a shipping date of Jan. 15. So I ordered the Taptes and it shipped pretty quickly. It had been sitting at LAX for a while and was finally in Denver before Christmas. Got a package today, expecting it to b the Taptes. Nope, it's the the Nomad. I guess I'll give them both a go when the Taptes arrives. Just tried out the Nomad and seems to work great so far.

I ordered a Nomad back in November, but it said it was back-ordered with a shipping date of Jan. 15. So I ordered the Taptes and it shipped pretty quickly. It had been sitting at LAX for a while and was finally in Denver before Christmas. Got a package today, expecting it to b the Taptes. Nope, it's the the Nomad. I guess I'll give them both a go when the Taptes arrives. Just tried out the Nomad and seems to work great so far.

Compare the two when you get the Taptes.

Reactions: Daniellane