Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Target to Install 600 Charging Stations at More Than 100 Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Target said this week it has partnered with Tesla, ChargePoint and Electrify America to install more than 600 charging stations at more than 100 stores.

The retailer has already deployed chargers at 18 stores in five states. The full plan will expand the program across 20 states.

Target began investing in electric vehicle charging stations in its parking lots back in 2012 by partnering with ChargePoint. In 2017, Target teamed up with Tesla to pilot its Superchargers and plans to expand the partnership in 2018.

“Accelerating our efforts to install new charging stations at Target stores across the country is one way we’re building on our commitment to investing in solutions that leave our communities better for future families,” said John Leisen, vice president, Property Management at Target. “And it’s an opportunity to work with industry-leading partners to bring a more convenient shopping experience to guests as we look to design lower-carbon solutions throughout our entire operation.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the sake of discussion: Let's suppose retail locations put in 10+ KW chargers capable of 25 miles or more an hour. Just as Tesla came to realize with some urban Super Chargers locations there are a good number of drivers parking for hours to save paying for home charging. At the low rates of 2 mph charge, it becomes a self-regulating charging location. Merely a convenience to add a little charge while shopping and not so enticing that it becomes a substitute for home chargers.

The Target in San Rafael has had 20 level 2 chargers for years, and when you go there most of the spots are ICE’d.
FWIW, Target in Fremont has them done right because they're not close nor tempting enough to ICE. They've never been ICEd in the times I've been there.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
How To Do Electric-Car Chargers Right: New Target Store In CA

I don't go there often since it's nowhere near where I live nor work but I have used those EVSEs several times.
Out of curiosity, where is it in relation to the store? I may be giving them too much credit for being consistent across sites, but I'm hoping they focus on going on the side of the building or out in the lot rather than right up front to reduce chances of getting ICEd so often.
Supercharger - Fremont Hub Shopping Center (LIVE 04-27-2018) is a thread on the location. Perhaps someone there will have a more detailed answer?

Last edited:
The Target in San Rafael has had 20 level 2 chargers for years, and when you go there most of the spots are ICE’d.

I prepared a short statement, copies of which I keep in my Tesla, and put them on windshields of ICE vehicles to try to educate the drivers as to why they should not be parking in EV charging slots. I think this is a matter of public education as well as it is of unthinking and selfish actions.

Also, I think the EV community should be more pro-active in this regard and should try to get EV slots the same protection as handicapped slots with potential tickets and/or towing penalties. We need to push and state and local representatives to make that happen.

I prepared a short statement, copies of which I keep in my Tesla, and put them on windshields of ICE vehicles to try to educate the drivers as to why they should not be parking in EV charging slots. I think this is a matter of public education as well as it is of unthinking and selfish actions.

Also, I think the EV community should be more pro-active in this regard and should try to get EV slots the same protection as handicapped slots with potential tickets and/or towing penalties. We need to push and state and local representatives to make that happen.
I totally agree, have a copy in my car explaining the charging etiquette. Also until there is a sign saying tow away zone and fine nothing will happen to improve this situation.

I hope someone puts a 220v charger in Charleston SC. I got to I95 with 10 miles left. Could only find one 110v charger.
I count about twenty J1772 charging sites in Charleston on Plugshare, and four on the Tesla destination charging map.

And haven’t you been on this forum long enough to know that the two flavors of electricity are 120V and 240V, not 110 and 220?

Last edited:
The Target in Pasadena is an ideal location for any company to install EV charging equipment. Easy access off the 210 freeway via Lake Ave exit. Pull right into the top floor of the parking structure, which is essentially empty except for holiday shopping. They use it for storage now. Easy shopping and food access. There is a Total Wine that just opened across the street.

RT

Reactions: CameronB
public level 2 chargers are junk, you charge for 30minutes while you are at the store and you get like 4 miles of charge?
at 208v & 30amps, actually you'd get >6kWh, which would be ~10miles range refreshed. Average stay is 45 minutes (whether costco, home depot, wallmart, or target etc. That'd be 15 miles. So if you life less than 7 miles from the store (like most folks) then you're still ahead.

Check out this list of states if you want a better idea of where they will be installing them.

Number of Target Stores in the US by State

While I hope the 20 states don't match the top 20 on this list as my state isn't in the top 20, I expect it will. Turns out TN is tied for 21st.
we have property in TN AND CA. Since CA has most of the Teslas (& EV's in general) ... it'd be kind of selfish to want most of 'em to be out in BFE.
I suspect these HPWC's to be used by all EV's. I know i do. Got me an adapter.
:)

we have property in TN AND CA. Since CA has most of the Teslas (& EV's in general) ... it'd be kind of selfish to want most of 'em to be out in BFE.
I suspect these HPWC's to be used by all EV's. I know i do. Got me an adapter.
:)

I have a hard time thinking of Knoxville as BFE. It's a about 1 million people and a similar number of cars.

I'm in a dual EV household and I've seen most EV and hybrid types here. I see S and X, Leaf, Bolt and Volt, iMeivs, and such.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy

For the moment I am going to disagree. I don’t think government regulation is the solution to everything.

The solution here is actually extremely simple. We are talking about private property here. If a retailer puts up signs with rules that say “you can only park here while charging” then they can just have a towing company enforce the rules. People will learn damned quick.

EV chargers are an amenity that establishments are putting in to attract clientele who today are above average income. If they want the amenity to be successful they need to police it. They own the property and can make the rules.

Also though, psychology is a big deal. Optimally EV fast charge spots should be at the back of parking lots so that lazy opportunistic charging people have to work for it. If you *need* a charge to get home you are going to be willing to walk for it.

The issue is often that electrically it is cheaper to install them up near the store (but not always - sometimes dropping a new meter base at the back of the lot makes sense).

I've been to several HPWC public chargers and some J1772 chargers around my area, and they are almost all 208 volts, And frequently only outputting 180-190 volts, from one leg of a 3 phase input. It'd be better if they were using 240 volt split phase instead.

And it'd be smart to put charging stations way off on one end of the lot, because us lazy Americans will always park as close to the door as we can, so having the chargers farther away will minimize chances of gas cars being parked there.

I've been to several HPWC public chargers and some J1772 chargers around my area, and they are almost all 208 volts, And frequently only outputting 180-190 volts, from one leg of a 3 phase input. It'd be better if they were using 240 volt split phase instead.

And it'd be smart to put charging stations way off on one end of the lot, because us lazy Americans will always park as close to the door as we can, so having the chargers farther away will minimize chances of gas cars being parked there.

Yes! Totally agreed! 208v is lame. 240v split phase is better! Drop new transformers at the back of the lot (cheap residential ones!)

And yes, putting EV chargers in the back also makes a ton of sense for the reason you listed. Keeps folks from using them unless they actually need them!

208v is actually 2 legs of 3 phase. Same L-G as 240, 120v but 208 is 90 degrees out of phase L-L while 240 is 180 degrees out of phase L-L. 277 is 1 leg of 3 phases and 480v L-L. I wish that was standard for commercial EV charging...

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 11.37.12 PM.png

208v is actually 2 legs of 3 phase. Same L-G as 240, 120v but 208 is 90 degrees out of phase L-L while 240 is 180 degrees out of phase L-L. 277 is 1 leg of 3 phases and 480v L-L. I wish that was standard for commercial EV charging...

View attachment 332322

Wouldn't L-L on a 3 phase system be 120 degrees out of phase? (not 90 degrees?)

But yeah, BUMMER that the M3's don't support 277v charging. That is totally the way to go for high speed commercial charging... Less transformation loss!

Reactions: nwdiver
Anyone have updates on the supposed Tesla Supercharger buildout at Target department stores? The Tesla.com Supercharger map has hundreds shown as in process (most coming in 2019), but with the announcement of Electrify America and Target teaming up is this a realignment of allies?