Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it appears that it is March 2023 and the IRS still has not finalized the form that I need to claim the $7500 tax credit on my Model Y. This is the message that HR Block is giving now -

View attachment 1024990
I cannot file my 2023 taxes until this form is finalized!!! What's the problem?
Can't you file Schedule A, Form 8936 without Tesla giving you a copy? When you bought the car Tesla asked for your SSN.

I gave my Tax Guy Tesla's form. He didn't use it and filed out the form in his software package. Makes sense, since he e-files.

I use a Tax Pro, not H&R Block.

I had to paper file to claim both the car rebate and the charger rebate.

I downloaded the paper forms for the car (form 8936), and for the charger (form 8911) from the IRS website. Filled them out and printed them. Then I went to the HR Block program and overrode the calculated entries for the car rebate and charger rebate with the numbers I filled out on the forms. Then printed everything out and mailed it in.

HR Block says to wait for the 8936 and totally eliminated the 8911 form. Its not the that IRS hasnt finalized the forms. It's because HR BLock hasnt implemented them in their program. They seem to have totally dropped the ball this year on anything EV related which is making me rethink about using them for next years taxes.

The form that Tesla gives you is for your information only and is not required to be submitted to the IRS.

Well, it appears that it is March 2023 and the IRS still has not finalized the form that I need to claim the $7500 tax credit on my Model Y. This is the message that HR Block is giving now -

View attachment 1024990
I cannot file my 2023 taxes until this form is finalized!!! What's the problem?
It’s not the IRS, I filed my return with a form 8936 using TurboTax a few weeks ago.

I could’ve filed even sooner, I was waiting on form 8911 - turned out my GEOID wasn’t eligible, so no credit. I suspect a lot of people will claim an 8911 credit who aren’t eligible, there’s nothing stopping anyone from claiming the credit even if their location isn’t eligible. The process of finding your GEOID and then comparing to the 2015 and 2020 census tract lists is absurd…

Last edited:
It’s not the IRS, I filed my return with a form 8936 using TurboTax a few weeks ago.

I could’ve filed even sooner, I was waiting on form 8911 - turned out my GEOID wasn’t eligible, so no credit. I suspect a lot of people will claim an 8911 credit who aren’t eligible, there’s nothing stopping anyone from claiming the credit even if their location isn’t eligible. The process of finding your GEOID and then comparing to the 2015 and 2020 census tract lists is absurd…
What is GEOID? Google says it’s a shape of the earth thing.

I downloaded the paper forms for the car (form 8936), and for the charger (form 8911) from the IRS website. Filled them out and printed them. Then I went to the HR Block program and overrode the calculated entries for the car rebate and charger rebate with the numbers I filled out on the forms. Then printed everything out and mailed it in.

HR Block says to wait for the 8936 and totally eliminated the 8911 form. Its not the that IRS hasnt finalized the forms. It's because HR BLock hasnt implemented them in their program. They seem to have totally dropped the ball this year on anything EV related which is making me rethink about using them for next years taxes.

The form that Tesla gives you is for your information only and is not required to be submitted to the IRS.
The car charger rebate is tricky (form 8911). Most moderate to high income earners don't qualify.

I filed and received credit for the charger I installed on my home. For some reason, my census tract qualified and all the ones around me did not. I think the intent was to encourage people in rural or lower income areas to buy and use EV's.

What is GEOID? Google says it’s a shape of the earth thing.
See post #908 above...

You have to find your GEOID, and then compare to the 2015 and 2020 census tracts eligible. Like I said, it's completely ridiculous...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 4.10.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 4.10.25 PM.png
    173.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The car charger rebate is tricky (form 8911). Most moderate to high income earners don't qualify.
It's not that straightforward. There is a wealthy neighborhood just north of my GEOID that is bisected by XYZ Rd (street name not important). Those who life north of XYZ Rd are NOT eligible, those who live south of XYZ Rd ARE eligible. A very famous NBA star has a house south of XYZ Rd, along with many high NW residents. Form 8911 credits are arbitrary at best...

Reactions: sunwarriors

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. Appears to definitely be HR Block problem. At this point, I will wait until March 8th to see if form is available. Probably will rethink my tax software next year.

It's not that straightforward. There is a wealthy neighborhood just north of my GEOID that is bisected by XYZ Rd (street name not important). Those who life north of XYZ Rd are NOT eligible, those who live south of XYZ Rd ARE eligible. A very famous NBA star has a house south of XYZ Rd, along with many high NW residents. Form 8911 credits are arbitrary at best...
My comment was related to an individual's income, not the GEOID limitation.
There is (or at least there was a couple years ago) a somehwat hidden income limit to being able to claim this credit.

I was looking at the map and saw how one side of a street can get it, but the other side of the street doesn't when the homes are similar or some, even higher in price in the eligible areas.

I'm still not a fan of these obscure tax credit laws.

I'm not a CPA and this isn't tax advice - it's just my opinion...
The instructions for this form are badly written. I think the census tract / GEOID requirement is for commercial / public charging sites and is an attempt to force the installation of chargers in lower income areas. I don't believe it applies to private home chargers. I plan to claim the 8911 credit. If I get audited, I will argue my case and see what happens.

The instructions for this form are badly written. I think the census tract / GEOID requirement is for commercial / public charging sites and is an attempt to force the installation of chargers in lower income areas. I don't believe it applies to private home chargers. I plan to claim the 8911 credit. If I get audited, I will argue my case and see what happens.
Not a CPA either, but GEOID appears to apply to home chargers

What's New​

Credit modification.
The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 modified the credit for certain refueling property placed in service after 2022.

Property must be located in an eligible census tract.
Refueling property placed in service after 2022 will not be treated as qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property unless the property is placed in service in an eligible census tract. For this purpose, an eligible census tract is any population census tract that is described in section 45D(e) or that is not an urban area. See Eligible census tract.

Instructions for Form 8911 (01/2024) | Internal Revenue Service

Reactions: Mike728
The GEOID requirement applies to business and personal property.
The part of the credit attributable to business/investment use is treated as a general business credit. Any part of the credit not attributable to business/investment use is treated as a personal credit.
In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
  • The original use of the property began with you.
  • The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
  • If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home.
  • The property must be located in an eligible census tract.

Last edited:
I use HR Block, still waiting for Mar/01 update before EV tax credit shows up in the 1040 form.
Well the vehicle credit has shown in in H&R block, but it looks like after about 90 minutes on the phone with them, there will be no support for form 8911 (charger credit). I've spent about $2000 in my 2 homes for chargers, and it looks like I qualify with all that bullshit location of property. This is about $700 in my pocket, you better believe I will get it.

It looks like the credit from form 8911 is supposed to be entered on form 3800 line 1s), but I'll be damned to know hot the numbers from 8911 get entered on 3800 line1s).

Well the vehicle credit has shown in in H&R block, but it looks like after about 90 minutes on the phone with them, there will be no support for form 8911 (charger credit). I've spent about $2000 in my 2 homes for chargers, and it looks like I qualify with all that bullshit location of property. This is about $700 in my pocket, you better believe I will get it.

It looks like the credit from form 8911 is supposed to be entered on form 3800 line 1s), but I'll be damned to know hot the numbers from 8911 get entered on 3800 line1s).
There isn't a form view mode with manual entry?