Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit for the customer or Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for the price dropping. part of that could even be them trying to be fair. since the ramp is basically complete for the Model 3, the price hasn't adjusted much. I believe the higher initial price was them taking advantage of the gov't rebate in order to accelerate the ramp and not go broke.

Another thing to consider. in Vegas the Registration is based off the car price and i assume insurance also. So Registration now 13% higher every year because of this. so around an extra 100-130 a year. not so great of a deal

I have to ask, how did you bid a MR up to 57 k ? at that point just go for the DM ?

well sorry you have such troubles.

i think they were 46000 in Q4 2018 so add EAP, FSD, 19's and white would be ~$59,200 with destination

unsure of this guys build just saying....

OP - all new cars depreciate fast. Tesla did lower the price in 2019 but not that much and the tax credit was cut in half. it sounds like you did not put enough $$ down. what is your current value and according to who? Did you receive your $7500 tax credit? did you apply that to your loan??

Anyone who starts looking at the value of their car (practically any car) in the first year is going to be very disappointed. The tax credit only serves to amplify that effect, because it incentivizes new over used purchases. Beyond peak depreciation in the first year and the effect of the credit, you'd have to be living under a rock to not realize the price was going to drop as Tesla achieved volume. Their whole model so far consists of selling higher margin vehicles in order to fund huge capital expenditures while working towards lower prices to expand their product reach.

When people talk about Teslas retaining value, they're not talking about the first couple years, they're talking about 3-4 years down the road. Aside from rare, horribly maintained vehicles, you're not going to be seeing 10-15yr old Teslas on the used market for $800.

I bought a Mid range in Dec and since that time. It worth about 60 cents on the dollar. not only the price drops on the car. oh and it has 4500 miles.

Depreciate is one thing. having the company you just bought the car from drop the price by 20+% is not.
I'd like to know where you're getting these numbers from. Yes, there were price drops, there were also increases. Overall the price may be a little less than it was 7 months ago but not 20% and certainly not 40%. Unless you also figuring in depreciation which happens to just about everything you buy except property and artwork :D

The argument people would like to have is you had $xxxxx to pay for the car so you still win. Its just a bad argument. if you are in a fast food restaurant and order your meal. and the person behind you ordered the same thing 1 sec later and the counter person said. oh we are now up to speed its now 20% cheaper. I don't think most people would put up with it. Tesla is just not dealing with the issues. 20k off of 150 is a 13% drop. not sure the time frame. Still a big deal. im talking about 40% over two months and 22k. either way a worst deal.
Your first sentence makes zero sense so I have no idea how to address it other than by saying "da faq". Secondly you cannot compare an EV to an extra value meal. First adapters of any technology always eat the biggest depreciation losses as the technology becomes cheaper. When LG released their 55" OLED in 2013 it was $15,000. The very next year, LG dropped the price to $3,500. That is how the world works. If you want it first, you'll pay for that privilege. Tesla will continue to adjust prices as the market demands. If you really thought that your M3 was going to hold a high residual value, then you deluded yourself.

I'd like to know where you're getting these numbers from. Yes, there were price drops, there were also increases. Overall the price may be a little less than it was 7 months ago but not 20% and certainly not 40%. Unless you also figuring in depreciation which happens to just about everything you buy except property and artwork :D

Tesla gave me the numbers

If you do a poll on the forum with the question. "Do you trust everything Elon Musk says/tweets?" You'll get your answers.

Tax Credit is for customer, but Tesla adjusted price in anticipation of lower demand due to lower tax credit. In fact, I expect another price drop at least on the higher trim models after June, probably around 1k or less.

Your car will always depreciate, (another Elon quote on appreciating asset only a fool would believe). Not just Tesla, but any other car you drive will depreciate. The difference here is Tesla's part availability has not been up to par compared to rest of the industry.

6 month free supercharging can be worth more than 1k, if you drive non stop from coast to coast. But yes for majority of us, it's not really worth it if other options are offered.

Pricing change happens, I bought a 2017 Hyundai Sonata for 18k (MSRP 30k) with all the discounts two months after someone I know paid 25k for.

If there's any silver lining for you, know that plenty of owners paid FSD for over a year, imagine how they feel.

This is why I'm not paying for FSD till it's ready for primetime.

but then again I paid 25k (OTD) for my 2011 Sonata ;)

Your first sentence makes zero sense so I have no idea how to address it other than by saying "da faq". Secondly you cannot compare an EV to an extra value meal. First adapters of any technology always eat the biggest depreciation losses as the technology becomes cheaper. When LG released their 55" OLED in 2013 it was $15,000. The very next year, LG dropped the price to $3,500. That is how the world works. If you want it first, you'll pay for that privilege. Tesla will continue to adjust prices as the market demands. If you really thought that your M3 was going to hold a high residual value, then you deluded yourself.

Model 3 was out a year before I bought it so I have a hard time believing the first movers. and the other part is the poor customer service along with not being to fix a car had since it was delivered and on top of that dealing with asset lost (not depreciation).

The post makes no sense. Title questions who gets the tax credit. Post is a mindless diatribe expressing surprise that’s car prices change and assets depreciate. Hardly worth much time investment to address either.

call my dealership and ask them.
Burden of proof always resides upon the person making a claim. You claimed Tesla told you that your car dropped 40% in value in 2 months. Meaning if you paid 47k for your M3 MR (41.2k + 3k AP + 1.5 wheels +1k paint). It would mean you are claiming that your local Tesla dealership told you that your current car is only worth $28k. I am calling BS.

Burden of proof always resides upon the person making a claim. You claimed Tesla told you that your car dropped 40% in value in 2 months. Meaning if you paid 47k for your M3 MR (41.2k + 3k AP + 1.5 wheels +1k paint). It would mean you are claiming that your local Tesla dealership told you that your current car is only worth $28k. I am calling BS.

Mid, Prem, 18inch, blue paint, EAP. $57,077. was called and told $34,700. I wish it wasn't true.