Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to qualify to take the tax credit, do you have to still own the car at the end of the tax year? Also, is there a requirement for how long you must own the car? Thinking about buying a Model 3 and transferring it to my daughter. I'm early enough in the reservations (March 31 prior to the event) that I think the credit may still be available.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States
So, careful. If you acquired the car knowing you would give it to someone else, it appears you are ineligible.

I thought gifts were limited to $10k a year

One individual may give another individual $14,000 per year in the USA with zero consequences.

If you want to give more than that to one person in a year, you are subject to a lifetime limit of $5.45M. After that, some taxes come into play.

These taxes are what some politicians like to call "Death Taxes". Seriously. They only come into play if you give away more than $5M in your life ($10.9M if you're married). All that fuss over "having to pay the government when you die" only applies to people that die with more than $5M in the bank.

However, in general, the USA does not limit gifts between people in any way, and the receiver is not subject to tax.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
the $10k limit you are referring to is cash transfers for federal tax purposes.

$10K in cash is a Federal reporting law in order to discourage money laundering and the use of drug money. Nothing to do with tax. All businesses must report all cash transactions above $10K, and it's illegal to break up transactions to avoid this. You have to do this even to deposit $10K cash in your own bank account.

$14K is the limit of a gift of property where it has no federal tax effects. Above this, it eats into your $5M lifetime exemption, and only after you give $5M does tax come into play.

Last edited:
Oh, I think it's the other way around. Most states levy a sales tax on all auto sales, private and dealer. Including VA. It's a huge source of tax revenue for the states.

Virginia: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Calculating the SUT Tax
For a transaction between private individuals, the minimum Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax is calculated based on the trade-in value given in the NADA Official Used Car Guide. You must present either an Affidavit for Procurement of Title (SUT-1A) if the vehicle is 5 years old or newer (based on the model year) or a Bill of Sale if the vehicle is more than 5 years old. (The sale price placed on a title certificate by the seller is the equivalent of a bill of sale.) A bill of sale must be signed by both the seller and the buyer to include the full vehicle description, vehicle identification number and date of sale.

+1.

I don't think Florida imposes a sales tax on private auto sales anyway. Virginia doesn't either. I think the sales tax on a private transaction is a California thing....but then again, a LOT of taxes are just California things....
They do. They collect it form the buyer when you go to the tag office to transfer the title. Like I said, Florida loves those sales taxes (only fair, I guess, we don't pay any state income tax).