Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why 3 enthusiasts are butt hurt enough to be defensive about the Taycan, a car that cost more than twice as much.

And I guess there’s small consolation in having autosteer on while you give the Taycan TWO middle fingers as they pass you by.

So an extra $60k over a model 3 performance for a two seater that can perform at 60-120 mph? I'll pass...

Sell it for $80k and make it not look like a porsche and I'll grab it though.

Opportunity cost. 80K goes far when looking at P100D S/X

Last edited:
Not sure why 3 enthusiasts are butt hurt enough to be defensive about the Taycan, a car that cost more than twice as much.

And I guess there’s small consolation in having autosteer on while you give the Taycan TWO middle fingers as they pass you by.

Opportunity cost. 80K goes far when looking at P100D S/X
LOL! “Butt hurt”?? You assume too much! Observations...yes. I thought this was a forum to exchange information(?) Why the snark?

Reactions: wenkan
Though the Taycan is definitely brings something new with 2 speed motor, not sure which Tesla owners would be tempted. Build quality will be awesome no doubt...styling is a bit lack luster. If die hards want a track car 911 Gt3 all the way..not a taycan. The more competition the better.
Maybe we finally see a model s refresh after the new completion.

I have a feeling that the Model S refresh is pretty far away as Tesla seems to be focusing on reaching the Lv5 FSD taxi network and optimizing the overseas M3 production. If and when they can get to having a fleet of FSD taxis then the profit from the existing luxury models would be chump change.

Anyone who has ever spent time driving a Porsche, or just spent time as a passenger in a Porsche knows why the Taycan will cost more than a Tesla. No doubt, many Tesla owners will not find the extra cost worthwhile. However, Porsche has reported that a significant number of people who have put down deposits on the Taycan are Tesla Model S owners. The Taycan is already sold out for the fist year.

Porsche has been in business a long time. They know how to design and build exceptional automobiles. The Taycan will be no different. And in the not-too-distant future, the iconic 911 will have an electric version as well.

Anyone who has ever spent time driving a Porsche, or just spent time as a passenger in a Porsche knows why the Taycan will cost more than a Tesla. No doubt, many Tesla owners will not find the extra cost worthwhile. However, Porsche has reported that a significant number of people who have put down deposits on the Taycan are Tesla Model S owners. The Taycan is already sold out for the fist year.

Porsche has been in business a long time. They know how to design and build exceptional automobiles. The Taycan will be no different. And in the not-too-distant future, the iconic 911 will have an electric version as well.

Yeah, I think people who don’t know Porsche first hand underestimate Porsche. I just have a mid-spec Macan (I know, a “lame” SUV and not a real Porsche). I like the fit and finish of my Tesla P3 (and I think it’s a better vehicle than the Macan, mostly due to the powertrain) but Porsche is on another level, quality feel wise. More important, they treat you better than Tesla. And that’s important in the luxury category. Good luck selling Model S/X vs. a Taycan or a future E-Macan if your service procedures rely on Uber credits. Esp. when EA is complete.

• Disagree
Reactions: wenkan and Tony_YYZ
Yeah, I think people who don’t know Porsche first hand underestimate Porsche. I just have a mid-spec Macan (I know, a “lame” SUV and not a real Porsche). I like the fit and finish of my Tesla P3 (and I think it’s a better vehicle than the Macan, mostly due to the powertrain) but Porsche is on another level, quality feel wise. More important, they treat you better than Tesla. And that’s important in the luxury category. Good luck selling Model S/X vs. a Taycan or a future E-Macan if your service procedures rely on Uber credits. Esp. when EA is complete.
I presently own a Macan GTS, which I purchased after selling a 911S. Owned two Caymans prior to the 911. The quality of the cars is undeniable. Whether the Tesla is a better vehicle will be open to debate and will become clearer in two or three years. VW /Porsche has a massive push to electric vehicles underway. It will force Tesla to up its game.

BTW...I love how our M3 drives...but I love being in driver's seat of the Macan GTS more.

Well said.

Well the price still matters, model 3 is way cheaper than even the Taycan base model. If the 10s performance can only be reached by 150k+ then we should let roadster to beat it, in 8 seconds.
I think it's only fair to judge in the same category. Meaning, Model S vs. Taycan. The 3 is much better matched with the cars it's already been compared to: BMW 3, etc....

I have a reservation for a Taycan. Mainly for build and service quality... The Tesla's are nice enough but Porsche is just in a different league and after owning a few Tesla's I have found build quality really matters to me more than I thought. It will be awhile for my time to purchase though as I am waiting for a lower trim level and not the initial 120K ish version. I think I will still keep a Tesla for my wife though because fit and finish is just not as important to her.

All things aside...this younger guy from fully charged, who i find kind of annoying( the older english guy is much more “sensible”)..was basically giddy even after 31 sprints in the taycan. It’s got to be a pretty decent ride even if it does not have autopilot and all the tech of a tesla. Porsche has a different design philosophy, they may look at advanced auto summon and think why the heck does anyone want that. Cars are meant for driving...forget summon...just go walk 20 feet and park the car yourself.

P3d half the price of a Porsche Taycan and it takes down the main marketing point of Porsche. Not to mention all the other benefits of tesla charging network, better battery technology...

Faults with both videos. Where are all the stats on the Porsche ? What was the battery level at start? at finish? any charging done in between? All the important stuff left out resulting in the value of "It didn't explode" ok great. Model 3 video, hey great, also doesn't explode but also only ran to just over 60mph instead of 124mph. Do I think that would have made a difference in its ability to do 30 runs? Not at all, check out my videos on Driving_Tesla on YouTube and you'll see the Model 3 Performance being hammered on at the track repeatedly, it can take that in track mode all day. So honestly, until someone redoes these "tests" and does them under equal conditions and reveals all the stats I find both not much more than marketing fluff.