Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech Package or no Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was distracted today, looking down at my cell phone while driving....I know, but it was an urgent situation with my daughter...and guess what. The car in front of me slowed down quickly and my Tesla started beeping at me and i looked up and braked hard and my Tesla's fine.

I just got it.

Could have been a slow impact fender bender.

The Tech package is doing its job. I'm not used to such a wide car and it tells me how far away I am from things, warns me when I'm coming close to a wall. I considered a used car and ultimately decided I would get a 3400 mile service loaner (for 14 K under MSRP) with the tech package and autopilot, and in fact the more I learned, autopilot became the most important, must have feature. I am very, very glad about my choice.

2014 P85 Dark Gray, Autopilot, tech, no pano roof, black leather/1st gen seats, 19 inch wheels, standard radio, dual chargers, air susp.

Guys I think some of you are getting a bit confused. Autopilot SAFETY features are standard on new cars.

"Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes"
"The Tech Package adds Autopilot convenience features "-Tesla website

The tech package only adds the Autopilot CONVENIENCE (traffic aware cruise, self parking, etc.). Confirmed this with my sales rep this Monday when I ordered. So when collision avoidance comes out non-tech camera equipped cars will get it.

With the car so well equipped, I've skipped the tech pack. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just don't complain about it in the future when they release some new feature which you don't get...

Guys I think some of you are getting a bit confused. Autopilot SAFETY features are standard on new cars.

"Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes"

The tech package only adds the Autopilot CONVENIENCE (traffic aware cruise, self parking, etc.). Confirmed this with my sales rep this Monday when I ordered. So when collision avoidance comes out non-tech camera equipped cars will get it.

With the car so well equipped, I've skipped the tech pack. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to order without the Tech package. The folks over in the other thread are moping because they (mostly) bought when there wasn't a lot of difference between Tech / Non Tech. And now, with the software upgrades, the difference between those cars and the Tech of the same vintage has widened.

Yes it's a few K, no doubt. But from here on in, you'll be wondering what the next feature is that comes out that you won't be eligible for. And they may be significant. Plus, it will certainly hit you on resale - and probably for more than the cost of the package now. When you list a car as non-tech, a lot of people will just pass on it without considering the minutiae of what the differences were in any given period.

Remember, the cost of the car is not what you pay for it. It's just the delta between what you pay and what you get on resale. If you look at it that way, I bet that the Tech package is either dirt cheap or free.

Id contact Tesla, from what I was told no tech = no collision avoidance.
Its no different than Audi, BMW, or MB... all offer like systems that either come bundled or a'la carte.

Id contact Tesla, from what I was told no tech = no collision avoidance.
Its no different than Audi, BMW, or MB... all offer like systems that either come bundled or a'la carte.

+1 ... my understanding as well. From what I understand if you don't order the Tech Package, you won't get the hardware (the forward camera, the forward radar). So even if you get the parking sensors now standard ( I think?? ) .. you'd end up not being able to get collision avoidance type features if the car doesn't have the needed "hardware" on the car. Now the problem is I've not seen a 2015 non-tech package car EVER.... and I visit my local Tesla store a LOT! As a matter of fact, the only non-tech package car I've ever seen in the flesh is my wife's 60... LOL

I went back and forth on tech vs "D" for options to stay within the budget hubby gave me. At one point, I was foregoing tech to keep D. Ultimately, sales guy David From Palo Alto told me that many customers who did not get tech have regretted it afterwards, and For my personal purposes and climate, it seemed the rear motor would suffice. Maybe he knew about the 6.2 on the horizon. I appreciated that he didn't try to push both (as I easily would've bitten). That's not how this company does business.

i didn't even consider resale value as we have a tendency to keep our cars for the long term. But I have to agree that in the future, most buyers will want the upgrades that come with Tech hardware. Tough decisions, but whichever you choose, you'll still come away driving an incredible machine.

Ok I changed my mind on the tech package. I originally ordered a car without it. The thing that got me was all the features that it has that should be standard on car of this price (home link, dimming mirrors, keyless, etc.). I'm supposed to pull out my FOB to open up my $80k car?!?!? Come on Tesla, really?! To clear room in the budget the pano roof and alcantara liner had to go. :mad:

Ok I changed my mind on the tech package. I originally ordered a car without it. The thing that got me was all the features that it has that should be standard on car of this price (home link, dimming mirrors, keyless, etc.). I'm supposed to pull out my FOB to open up my $80k car?!?!? Come on Tesla, really?! To clear room in the budget the pano roof and alcantara liner had to go. :mad:

Mine is two years old now and got the tech but not the pano or alcantara. My only slight regret is not having rack mount points on the roof. Other than that I don't miss either option.