Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me this isn't the final steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very, very cheap cars have more complex dashboards.

Needlessly complex. Especially in an EV with high levels of autonomy and with a screen able to provide everything needed.

For me it is obvious they went for a statement with this dash, not merely cost-cutting.

Sure but it's driven by cost cutting. Putting in needless elements would add cost but not functionality. It's the right move and I'm glad Tesla had the vision to do it.

Same with the back window that killed the electric mass-hatchback, I am convinced it is not merely about headroom, it is also about a big, bold design decision.

Such a "bold design decision" which looks just like a fastback hatch, like the S? Not likely. If they could have done a hatch with good rear seat headroom without an excessively high roofline they would have.

The Model 3 looks nothing like a "weirdmobile" from the outside and I believe the interior is simply ahead of the curve. Of course some people won't like it. That won't hurt sales one bit, no product is liked by everyone. Some people still buy flip phones.

I like the stripped look.... IMHO car interiors have become very curvy and loaded with buttons. In time, they will start to look dated compared to the newer simple/subtle interiors. If you look at computer/phone operating systems, they have migrated to a very simple look/design. This seems to be the current trend and I guesstimate that this will continue into other car manufacturers.

As someone mentioned in one of the countless other interior threads a while back. The Model 3 is going to sell well initially DESPITE all these design choices not BECAUSE of them.

However, (here's my prediction) once you get thru all the ICE trashing EV enthusiasts and move on to the other 95% of customers in the world - if Tesla doesn't make the interior more mainstream they're going to be sitting on a lot of empty manufacturing capacity.

upload_2017-5-30_14-5-0.jpeg

I like the stripped look.... IMHO car interiors have become very curvy and loaded with buttons. In time, they will start to look dated compared to the newer simple/subtle interiors. If you look at computer/phone operating systems, they have migrated to a very simple look/design. This seems to be the current trend and I guesstimate that this will continue into other car manufacturers.
Until the trend reverses and a Tesla comes out with more dials and buttons and all the other manufacturers with their sparse dashes will look like fools :)

Laptops. There were 13" then 15" then just as 19" were getting to be the norm... "ooh, look... we have a 13 inch netbook". "ours is only 11 inch!". "Check out our 7 inch eepc!".

Phones. Tiny screens. Bit bigger. Bigger. Huge. Smaller. Small. Bit bigger.

Ebb and flow. It gets a little silly sometimes, but I suppose its human nature.

I know a lot of folks compare Elon to Steve Jobs. I don't think it's quite an apples to apples comparison (pardon the pun) but for those that are firm believers that Elon is the reincarnation of Jobs remember that he had plenty of failures in his lifetime before coming up with the iPhone.

Interestingly enough that failure article doesn't even mention the Newton which was one of his bigger ones in my opinion.

What no one here wants is the Model 3 to be the next Newton.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne and 1208
Most car interiors are hideous. now, that doesn't mean the thing to do is for everybody to go as stripped down as the Model 3, but I've seen really horrible ones posted here as ones that the Model 3 should allude to.

Yuck.

Imo, I think my 2015 Ford Fusion is one of the nicer ones.

2015_ford_fusion_energi_dashboard.jpg

Screenshot_20170531-073921.jpg

All the disagrees have completely changed my mind. This guy was spot on when he said

"Can't risk buying a Model S now because if the Model 3 reservation holders like me bail out the whole company will be bankrupt."

After all, the Model 3 is their only hope. I was dreaming when I thought they sell any other compelling products with any level of success. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I never realized how useful and educational the disagree button could be! Now I know.

View attachment 229073
All the disagrees have completely changed my mind. This guy was spot on when he said

"Can't risk buying a Model S now because if the Model 3 reservation holders like me bail out the whole company will be bankrupt."

After all, the Model 3 is their only hope. I was dreaming when I thought they sell any other compelling products with any level of success. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I never realized how useful and educational the disagree button could be! Now I know.
There're a couple angry curmudgeons on here who are disagree happy... many have low comment counts and I secretly think some are duplicate accounts (not those four particularly).

No worries, I agree with you for what it's worth. One new Model S sale now is worth probably three Model 3 sales later.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture