Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tempest Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Search for "aero wheel cap kit for tesla" on Amazon. I got the Kenpenri kit with black and silver center caps (which is oddly no longer available). Looks WAY better than the plastic Tempest wheel covers and there's a huge bonus - no more "crackling" sound when the tires are slowly rotating - I discovered that "feature" of the Tempest covers when I summoned my new MS out of the garage. It sounded like driving over bubblepak.

Not the exact search term I'd been using, but it certainly looks like the same results. In any case: no black-on-silver coming up for me, either. Closest to that is a decal--but, that means finding & buying a cap of a different color, then putting a decal over it (and trusting myself to get it properly aligned). I'd rather have it molded in to begin with....

Seems weird--with as many varieties I'm finding, surely someone must be making these??

Here's my MS sans Tempest wheel covers. BTW, I couldn't find the black logo on a silver background either, but these center caps look great in person.

View attachment 537549 .

View attachment 537548

Wow... those black center caps make a surprisingly big positive difference. I could live with the base wheels now (after removing and going skeet-shooting with the fugly covers).

Guess a little contrast goes a long way. :)

My coworker has the same wheels on her Y. But she went with the silver centre cap and I prefer it over the black. Unfortunately the lug caps are black still. I have the same black as above on my wheels but going to get silver caps and try it out.

Nah, I took them off and I'm happy with the Genesis wheels. Unfortunately, Tesla told me that they are not in the S UI yet to change them in the dash and app. Weird since model Y can change the wheels. It's like including them in the S was an after thought.

Here's what I did over the weekend, painting only the lighter gray parts. Currently deciding if I like the light gray ring enough to keep the color roughly the same when placing rim savers or also making it black.

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_193444.jpg
    IMG_20200909_193444.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 613
Curious, are 19's more "efficient" than 21's? Have no idea and I've been considering swapping the 21's on my MSP100D for 19's just for the sake of having more rubber in between the road and the wheels for rough roads, potholes (lots here in Portland) etc as I feel the car would last longer with more cushion (less rattles etc)...But would also be cool too if I'd gain range as a result too.

Reactions: Joesage
Curious, are 19's more "efficient" than 21's? Have no idea and I've been considering swapping the 21's on my MSP100D for 19's just for the sake of having more rubber in between the road and the wheels for rough roads, potholes (lots here in Portland) etc as I feel the car would last longer with more cushion (less rattles etc)...But would also be cool too if I'd gain range as a result too.
Yes. I honestly LOVE the looks of the 21", but opted for 19 for improved range and ride comfort.

Reactions: serpico007
You’re not wrong... WTF was Tesla thinking? Terrible. :confused:

There’s no point to aero caps if they look so bad that most ppl are just gonna remove ‘em first chance they get.

If it is anything like the Model 3, "most" people actually kept the caps. I removed mine because I think the Model 3 wheels under the caps look really good. But most Model 3 with 18" wheels on the road (that I could see) kept the caps.

If it is anything like the Model 3, "most" people actually kept the caps. I removed mine because I think the Model 3 wheels under the caps look really good. But most Model 3 with 18" wheels on the road (that I could see) kept the caps.

Exactly the opposite of my experience.

Where I am, I’d say a good 60-70% of base Model 3 wheels have the caps removed. Maybe more (I’m being conservative).

As you say, the rims underneath look *much* better.

Exactly the opposite of my experience.

Where I am, I’d say a good 60-70% of base Model 3 wheels have the caps removed. Maybe more (I’m being conservative).

As you say, the rims underneath look *much* better.

Interesting. I have 4 other coworkers all bought Model 3 around the same time. I am the only one who removed the caps even though all my coworkers think it looks better without caps. It is possible that because we are all engineers, most care more about efficiency than look. After looking at all the aero caps on the road for over 2 years... they started to not look too bad LOL. Honestly, if I am buying the car today... I may not bother to remove them and have to buy the center caps and nuts covers.