Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I adapted the standard front license plate mount to the 2" suction cups so that I wasn't sticking to the front of the bumper, I was sticking to the underside instead. Since I'm only looking for a solution when parked, not while driving, it's plenty secure for me. I posted pictures elsewhere a few days ago with pictures.

Reactions: Akikiki
This is my solution for my P3D+. Hide-a-Plate It was easy to install and operates via a remote control fob. One button for up and another button for down. 4 screws and a little wiring straight to the 12v battery and that's it. Took me 42 min to install.

I just took this video a few hours ago.

Last edited:
Will the suction cups work with the mount that Tesla provided?
Yes. I can't link the photo at the moment because it's on the local Tesla group's private FB page and I don't have a FB account, but someone here in Houston put IIRC 6 of exactly those little suction cups on the back of the standard mount (I guess he ordered 2 sets, since they come in sets of 4).

He said he's driven it to San Antonio and back no problems, so you can assume it's good for at least 90 mph. My recollection is he said he's also gotten slack on removing it, so it's been on for a couple month at a time.

Yes. I can't link the photo at the moment because it's on the local Tesla group's private FB page and I don't have a FB account, but someone here in Houston put IIRC 6 of exactly those little suction cups on the back of the standard mount (I guess he ordered 2 sets, since they come in sets of 4).

He said he's driven it to San Antonio and back no problems, so you can assume it's good for at least 90 mph. My recollection is he said he's also gotten slack on removing it, so it's been on for a couple month at a time.
I've been using the suction cups and it's been working great.

The thing about attaching using suction cups on the back of the stock mounting bracket, rather than using the adhesive strips that are much harder to remove and stain the paint over time, is it'll be very hard for those passing by to discern that it's suction cups rather than the stock. They'll go to the screws anyway if for some reason they want my plate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The thing about attaching using suction cups on the back of the stock mounting bracket, rather than using the adhesive strips that are much harder to remove and stain the paint over time, is it'll be very hard for those passing by to discern that it's suction cups rather than the stock. They'll go to the screws anyway if for some reason they want my plate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I really don't think people can tell if ti's suction cup vs adhesive strips. If they really want my license plate they'll get it regardless.

Solution: No front plate.
Today my Nextdoor feed** is lit up with the TX Storm Troopers saturating here, several squad cars and even a motorcycle. I assume because we've had 2 fatalities on the local stretch of highway in under 2 months (plus probably putting the fear of the law in people ahead of the drinking season). And of course they're handing out front plate tickets, too. Because "safety" or something? :rolleyes:

** For those unfamiliar with Nextdoor think Facebook, with all the vileness, bile, and insanity that implies, but your "Friends List" came with your house and as such is immutable unless you or they move.

Solution: No front plate.

Response from police = ticket.

One thing that's amazing though is that in my recent years I've had the opportunity to run across quite a few millionaires and such to which they don't care about tickets and fines - as opposed to what they want.

I know of a Bugatti owner who doesn't mind paying the mediocre fines of $50 per ticket in order to keep the look of his car exactly the way he wants it. ( No plate on the front ).
I'm not in that camp...so I will stick with my hide-a-plate solution as I have provided a video of above.

Last edited: