Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Model Y SUV is being investigated for steering wheels that can fall off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety design: You have to PULL the wheel toward your body to remove a steering wheel. It can't just "fall off" without excessive force.

I'm not excusing a manufacturing error, just pointing out the sensational nature of the article headline.
I was going to say thank goodness my car was built in China....... but I had better check my wheel first😀.
P.S. Could this be a case of sabotage or just shoddy workmanship or perhaps, this nut is applied by a robot?
I look forward to the outcome of the investigation - that should give us a steer!

Reactions: jsight
if you constantly pull the steering wheel while driving, you need to re learn how to drive properly. :cool:

New rule while driving New Ys PUSH the steering and make sure you buy FSD/AP

Funny thing is I joked about this when I test drove my 3 many years ago that TSLA is making the stalk easy to remove for future FSD

There is a legal standard mandated for recalls. This isn’t Tesla specific. Yes, letter on whatever schedule was agreed with the ntsb.
Just over the air software fixes. The current system does not differentiate between a recall requiring the car to be bought in and an over the air software fix.
Both are misleadingly defined as recalls.
I don't think you get a letter for the S/W fix "recall".

Last edited:
Both of the vehicles were identified as having had “end of the line” repairs so clearly something wasn’t right in the manufacturing assembly line. They fixed at the end and their process did not account for every part. I’m sure they’ll fix, but BIG oversight.

Anyone know whether they are Austin or Fremont builds?

You do. That’s part of why it’s labeled as a “recall”. It forces them to send the same kind of notice to the owners of affected vehicles so that owners are aware of the issue, the potential risks of the defect or problem, and what the remedy is to resolve it.
Yup... you get a letter like this. This is for an OTA recall for window pinching.
recall.jpg