Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Highland Nova wheels without trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone asked a while back to see what the new Nova wheels look like without the aero trim pieces.
Took them all off for ceramic coating this weekend, and thought to take some photos to save people the annoying task of removing them all.
Personally, I will be putting the trim pieces back on. But without, definitely more 'depth' can be seen in the spokes.
What do you think?

PXL_20240428_001353223.MP.jpg
PXL_20240428_001259670.jpg
PXL_20240428_001336489.MP.jpg
PXL_20240428_001326888.jpg
PXL_20240428_001506264.MP.jpg
PXL_20240428_001501117.jpg

Someone asked a while back to see what the new Nova wheels look like without the aero trim pieces.
Took them all off for ceramic coating this weekend, and thought to take some photos to save people the annoying task of removing them all.
Personally, I will be putting the trim pieces back on. But without, definitely more 'depth' can be seen in the spokes.
What do you think?

View attachment 1042455View attachment 1042452View attachment 1042454View attachment 1042453View attachment 1042457View attachment 1042456
What a great colour, and the wheels look good without the aero bits! I wonder how much the range is affected?

I think what he means is the name Highland doesn’t appear anywhere at Tesla it is a made up name that caught on. 🤩
Highland is a project name, overall project for the Model 3 refresh.
Model S had the Falcon (original) and Raven (refresh). The X must've had one, but I don't recall it, probably just didn't catch on with the public.
Now that Tesla has caught on so much in the overall car industry, their projects get more attention pre-launch, and those project names get out to the public more than before.
So Highland got out about the new 3, Juniper got out for the upcoming Y refresh.
I would say most, if not all, other car makers have codes for their projects in development. They may just use numbers or something relevant to their systems rather than "cool" code names.

Tesla is just the nerdy cool company that chose this way to name their projects, which I think at first unintentionally helped their marketing. For a company that doesn't advertise, they'll take any buzz they can get for new projects that are still in development.
I say unintentional, which I think could've been true in the early days. But now, I'd say they are fully aware of the buzz they generate when a project name "leaks" prior to an official announcement.

Reactions: Riasta and Jules22
I agree. The cars are produced and on the road, so it's no longer a "project".
Well, the project can have any kind of scope they choose. A project doesn't even have to be set to a specific model.
The project is closed once all the goals and parameters are met. That might be once the refresh M3 began on the production line, but not necessarily. They could have easily still had items to finish that weren't production critical, so production could have started in parallel to other items of the project.
That may not be typical, but it is possible. So a project and a model are not automatically linked, nor are they necessarily on the same timeline.

The Model S in development was referred to as Whitestar.
The 2019 update was called Raven
The Model 3 in development was referred to as bluestar.
As Model X and Model Y were derived from Model S and Model 3 respectively they didn’t get development names to my knowledge. So there is precedent for development names and I don’t see why they can’t be used to differentiate from versions and large updates.

The Model S in development was referred to as Whitestar.
The 2019 update was called Raven
The Model 3 in development was referred to as bluestar.
As Model X and Model Y were derived from Model S and Model 3 respectively they didn’t get development names to my knowledge. So there is precedent for development names and I don’t see why they can’t be used to differentiate from versions and large updates.
I think they can and they do. I always refer to the 2019 Model S as the raven with the cheetah stance.

And the new model 3 as the Highland. at some point, the name fades and it doesn’t really matter anymore. In the meantime, it has a bit of fun and differentiation

I think they can and they do. I always refer to the 2019 Model S as the raven with the cheetah stance.

And the new model 3 as the Highland. at some point, the name fades and it doesn’t really matter anymore. In the meantime, it has a bit of fun and differentiation
Exactly. The dev project carries the name, and once launched it serves as a differentiator from other versions. And the further away from launch, the usage fades a bit but always serves as the timeline indicator.

Reactions: johnchidgey