Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You were pretty skeptical on the whole Tesla thing so was pretty amazed to read your post.

The typical Tesla bear would never have done what you did.

You actually put some money and time in the game to find the truth for yourself.

Now if all car critics and shills for all brands would take the the effort to do what you did the level of engagement and conversation would improve around here.

If you haven’t already, it’s worth checking out the S to see if the extra room and ride is a preferential experience.

Reactions: streetskooler
Funny, on my old cars I adjusted the steering once so I would have the best view of the dashboard. As the 3 doesn't have a dashboard, I have actually been trying multiple positions with the steering wheel as I can now focus on comfort and not visibility of the dashboard.

Very interesting point indeed. I had never considered that before But now thinking about it I do know that I have to consider visibility of the instrument cluster in the adjustment of the wheel in my Model S it's always a compromise between where I would like it to be and where it needs to be in order for me to see the information displayed in the cluster.

I hadn’t thought of that.

Yea, determined criminal will get in no matter what.. but why make it easy? I also think the frunk popping mechanism should require the keycard near it too. Shrugs.

I agree, the emergency release design on the door handles is terrible. You shouldn't have to teach people how to exit a car. Again, I'm still super excited for the car, just minor quibbles.

Also more secure that way. Being able to drop the seats from inside the car is stupid. Break a window... access to the trunk contents.
The Honda Clarity Plug In has a lock for the rear seats. The mechanical key allows one to unlock the rear seats and fold down. Its also a backup way of getting to the trunk contents in the event that the primary way of opening the trunk fails.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and Ejl80
@voip-ninja ... so which model you gonna get? 35K, 49K, 54K or the 78K version?

only 4 choices, please :p

There are 9 major hardware configs by the time the base model comes out later this year. (Though I'm sure priority will be to ship out the higher priced trims and the base model will be very late 2018).

1. $78,000 Performance
2. $54,000 AWD "all in" AWD + PUP + LR
3. $49,000 "First available" - PUP + LR - NO AWD
4. $49,000 AWD LR - NO PUP
5. $45,000 AWD PUP - NO LR
6. $44,000 LR, no PUP, no AWD
7. $40,000 PUP, no AWD, no LR
8. $40,000 AWD - NO PUP - NO LR
9. $35,000 BASE BASE BASE Model 3 with no major options.

$50K +5K AWD + $5K EAP
@voip-ninja sounds like option #2 for you. Everything but the performance package.

Last edited:
The Honda Clarity Plug In has a lock for the rear seats. The mechanical key allows one to unlock the rear seats and fold down. Its also a backup way of getting to the trunk contents in the event that the primary way of opening the trunk fails.

I'm pretty sure my Saturn L100 and the Prius had a way to lock the fold down rear seats. I don't have the Saturn anymore, I'd have to go check the Prius and Leaf to see if they do it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Glad you found what many of us have also found — it’s the drive. Yeah, the finishes aren’t ideal and the fitment is rarely perfect, but the drive kind of crushes everything else. The responsiveness of an EV seems to immediately deprecate any ICE. We just got back from Iceland and drove an ICE rental, and my wife and I repeatedly pointed out the lag in accelerator response.

Just wait until you don’t have to regularly fuel up!

Happy you’re excited. With money on the line, you deserve anticipation.

only 4 choices, please :p

There are 9 major hardware configs by the time the base model comes out later this year. (Though I'm sure priority will be to ship out the higher priced trims and the base model will be very late 2018).

1. $78,000 Performance
2. $54,000 AWD "all in" AWD + PUP + LR
3. $49,000 "First available" - PUP + LR - NO AWD
4. $49,000 AWD LR - NO PUP
5. $45,000 AWD PUP - NO LR
6. $44,000 LR, no PUP, no AWD
7. $40,000 PUP, no AWD, no LR
8. $40,000 AWD - NO PUP - NO LR
9. $35,000 BASE BASE BASE Model 3 with no major options.

@voip-ninja sounds like option #2 for you. Everything but the performance package.

Need to also add $5k to these numbers since most folks who buy a Tesla also get autopilot. Most people seem to feel that AP is pretty much obligatory.

I'm most interested in the $50k AWD, PUP, AP version.

Paying an additional $9k for LR and putting the price at $59k ($60k after the destination and doc fee) for the extra range is just a stretch too far imo.

Need to also add $5k to these numbers since most folks who buy a Tesla also get autopilot. Most people seem to feel that AP is pretty much obligatory.

I'm most interested in the $50k AWD, PUP, AP version.

Paying an additional $9k for LR and putting the price at $59k ($60k after the destination and doc fee) for the extra range is just a stretch too far imo.

A 35K Model 3 ends up being just that. EAP and FSD becomes too much of the percentage of the overall car.

You can count on the top two builds tacking in EAP and FSD in short order due to ‘exclusive’ FSD features soon.

If you are in 83K.. you tack on extended warranty and so on and so forth.

Glad you found what many of us have also found — it’s the drive. Yeah, the finishes aren’t ideal and the fitment is rarely perfect, but the drive kind of crushes everything else. The responsiveness of an EV seems to immediately deprecate any ICE. We just got back from Iceland and drove an ICE rental, and my wife and I repeatedly pointed out the lag in accelerator response.

Just wait until you don’t have to regularly fuel up!

Happy you’re excited. With money on the line, you deserve anticipation.

The issue for me, and probably many others, is Tesla’s repeated assertion that this is a luxury car designed to be better than the industry standard luxury cars already on the market.

I can overlook some of the shortcomings against the competition in these areas at the nearly $60,000 asking price, not everyone can and Tesla will have to up their game a bit once the supply of ready and eager buyers starts to tail off.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Reactions: Sean Wagner