Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ads (online)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoTslaGo

Learning Member
Dec 25, 2015
US
Just saw this tonight (note the ad on top. I hovered over it to see the linked site: teslamotors.com):

TeslaAd.jpg

Later I saw a better one, but couldn't catch a pic. And yes, it links to the website.

Is the URL a referral link?

If so, creating such ad placements is an easy way to get your awards for a handful of $. Free P100D anyone?

That's how I got dozens of GBs of free space on Dropbox (cf. https://lifehacker.com/5851116/use-google-adwords-to-quickly-max-out-your-dropbox-referrals).

Didn't go to the configurator site as it usually does with a referral link (I've clicked on those in the past). Went to the main site (with driving Tesla), so it looks like a real ad.

"Tesla Electric Sports Car"? I didn't realize the Roadster was still for sale. ;)

I guess that's better than the Toyota Mirai banner ads I see periodically on this site. And, no, I did not click the link for those ads. :)

Yep, never click. But just had to test it to be sure (and yes I know, I just made Tesla give Google some $). Yes happier to see Tesla ads on TMC. Will be watching other sites to see if they start appearing elsewhere...

"Tesla Electric Sports Car"? I didn't realize the Roadster was still for sale. ;)

I guess that's better than the Toyota Mirai banner ads I see periodically on this site. And, no, I did not click the link for those ads. :)

Well, it's more to the point now: Specifically advertising the "New Tesla Roadster"! I clicked the link and got the Tesla.com website with no information about the roadster...:(

TeslaAdRoadster.jpg

Bummer...

@doug or @danny

I was thinking about this. I am not sure what information I should forward to JonMc if I were to see the ads again. Can you help? I could do screen captures and forward those, but I do not believe they would provide the information Tesla would need. Do you know?

Thanks!

@doug or @danny

I was thinking about this. I am not sure what information I should forward to JonMc if I were to see the ads again. Can you help? I could do screen captures and forward those, but I do not believe they would provide the information Tesla would need. Do you know?

Thanks!
Right click and copy link address? It should be a long one (usually with doubleclick.net or googleadservices.com domain name) that probably has the information required. That link should be what loads first and then redirects to the target page.

Also right click on the tiny light blue arrow at the top right corner of the ad (shows "AdChoices" when hovering over the arrow). Then copy link address and provide that link. That goes to a google.com page where you can report the specific ad to Google. Or if your browser doesn't let you copy link address, you can just go to this link and then copy it (this link doesn't redirect).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Right click and copy link address? It should be a long one (usually with doubleclick.net or googleadservices.com domain name) that probably has the information required. That link should be what loads first and then redirects to the target page.

Also right click on the tiny light blue arrow at the top right corner of the ad (shows "AdChoices" when hovering over the arrow). Then copy link address and provide that link. That goes to a google.com page where you can report the specific ad to Google.

I will try the blue arrow next time. I recall the when you right click the ad itself it is "teslamotors.com" which is why I went ahead and tested the links before... and proved to myself that it was a direct link to tesla. I will only click the link when I am on my desktop which has anti-virus software.

I couldn't manage to get these banners on my computer, but I'm pretty sure these are ads made by Tesla owners to feature their referral links.

I've made similar ads for Dropbox back in 2011 to gain free GBs of storage. It costs only a few cents to get clicks on the links and increase your chance to get credits/rewards.

I can't think of any other reason to pay for such ads (PS: I single-handedly managed Adwords campaigns of > $1M/y in early 2010's)

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake