Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking the POV of this experienced forum on Ambient Light location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi forum - I am nervously embarking on adding ambient lighting. I wanted to seek the opinions here of pros and cons of where I put the main dash strip. See the pics attached - I think there are 3 options:

• Hidden in the air vent. I know this method typically results in 2 to 3 inches on the edges not being lit and that it creates a thicker color band due to reflections. I guess you can also put it more towards the front edge.

• Bottom BELOW the white dash between the white part and the chrome edging. This seems tight but goes edge to edge but not sure what I will run into in the area over the steering wheel opening.

• I couldn't find a pic for this but I swear I have seen it also ABOVE the white dash in between the top chrome edging and the white dash. See 3rd pic where I drew it in.

Which do you prefer and what's the good and bad?

Attachments

• Ambient Option 1.jpg
    Ambient Option 1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Ambient Option 2.jpg
    Ambient Option 2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Ambient Option 3.jpg
    Ambient Option 3.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 27
I installed a kit where the dash light strip went between the wood (I swapped mine out for carbon fiber) and the metal trim. I liked the fact that it sits lower so it's not in my line of sight as much as ones that go in the vent area. Also, I think most light strips installed in the vent area relies on adhesive and might come off in really hot weather while the one I got is wedged in between the "wood" and metal, so it's really secure once installed and mine has not come loose at all in the year I've had it (one Minnesota winter and summer). The seam is present above the steering wheel opening so no issues with the light strip running through that area.

IMG_1250.jpeg

Reactions: VipinLJ
I installed a kit where the dash light strip went between the wood (I swapped mine out for carbon fiber) and the metal trim. I liked the fact that it sits lower so it's not in my line of sight as much as ones that go in the vent area. Also, I think most light strips installed in the vent area relies on adhesive and might come off in really hot weather while the one I got is wedged in between the "wood" and metal, so it's really secure once installed and mine has not come loose at all in the year I've had it (one Minnesota winter and summer). The seam is present above the steering wheel opening so no issues with the light strip running through that area.

That looks like a nice solution. Do you just push it in using a trim removal tool? Also, how do you power it?

That looks like a nice solution. Do you just push it in using a trim removal tool? Also, how do you power it?
I was able to just push the light strip into the seam without using any tools, but my dash is aftermarket with the wood replaced with carbon fiber so it may be a bit different from the stock dash.

My kit is powered from the 12V receptacle under the center armrest.

Reactions: VipinLJ
I went with option 1 recently and love it a lot. Originally I was going to install it inside the air vent but I moved it out to the edge instead to have a consistent look with the other two ambient strips.

Model Y Ambient Light.jpg

View attachment 1012283
Looks real nice. In stock it does seem the tolerances are super tight. We'll see...

Also in the programming anyone figure out how to have it have a "welcome" series and the. Settle on one static color for driving. In playing with the app (which they all seem the same), I can't figure out how to have this. Seems it's just one setting, but I don't want it being so "dynamic" while driving but okay to have streaming and such when you first enter