Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

We would like to inform you that the release of the CCS1 charging adapter, which was scheduled for the first half of 2021, has been delayed to the second half of the year, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Currently, the certification related to the CCS1 charging adapter has been completed, and we will do our best to release the product as soon as possible.

In addition, the price of the CHAdeMO charging adapter will be reduced to improve the charging experience for Tesla owners. The reduced price will be effective from June 14, 2021.

Before change: ₩614,000 ($550 USD)
After change: ₩445,000 ($400 USD)

Not to get off topic, but a very good point. No one wants to wait on a charger. At my work (airport) there is an older 4 station supercharger, it's often full. The airport authority has installed 10 CCS1 chargers (150kw). The other daythe SC was full up. I just said, screw it, drove over to the CCS chargers, used the credit card and my Setec adapter. Was getting 78kw. since that's what you get at a full V2 SC station, no loss, except for money (I still have FUSC).
Have you ever done a full charge from low SOC to 90% on the Setec adapter to get charging curve data on it? I figured it was limited to 70 KW since it is limited to 200 amps, but 78 KW sounds even better :) A heck of a lot better than a CHAdeMO adapter.

Keith

That's okay. If it's built like the ones out here, there are probably only ten parking places within reach of those 20 chargers. :(

Yup. Looking at the picture, half of those chargers are completely and totally useless unless you're driving an electric motorcycle, and maybe even then.

So in practice, there are 9 CCS charging stations and one dual CCS/CHAdeMO station, but the 9 CCS stations have a redundant cable....
Yeah, one of the things people don't seem to realize is that most CCS chargers have 2 plugs, but only one of them can be used at a time. Having two plugs is for convenience since CCS charge port location is not standardized. That station has 10 chargers, not 19 or 20. Nine of the chargers have 2 CCS cords, the tenth charger has 1 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO plug.

Keith

Yeah, one of the things people don't seem to realize is that most CCS chargers have 2 plugs, but only one of them can be used at a time. Having two plugs is for convenience since CCS charge port location is not standardized. That station has 10 chargers, not 19 or 20. Nine of the chargers have 2 CCS cords, the tenth charger has 1 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO plug.
I kind of think that's a poor design. Had they designed them so that both handles were independently usable (like a gas pump), they could have still had the flexibility of being able to charge cars on both sides, but with twice as much charging capacity per big ugly box.

Then again, had the standards body that designed CCS and CHAdeMO been more intelligent and required that the charge ports always be on a particular side universally, we wouldn't have that problem, either.

Of course, it doesn't help that the first EV company (Tesla) put their charge ports on the wrong side, which makes curbside charging problematic, all but guaranteeing that the industry would be split, but that's another rant for another day.

I kind of think that's a poor design. Had they designed them so that both handles were independently usable (like a gas pump), they could have still had the flexibility of being able to charge cars on both sides, but with twice as much charging capacity per big ugly box.

Then again, had the standards body that designed CCS and CHAdeMO been more intelligent and required that the charge ports always be on a particular side universally, we wouldn't have that problem, either.

Of course, it doesn't help that the first EV company (Tesla) put their charge ports on the wrong side, which makes curbside charging problematic, all but guaranteeing that the industry would be split, but that's another rant for another day.

The location of where Tesla put the charge port work for my wife and I. She parks on the left side and won't back into the garage. I park on the right side and always back in....

That said, I would appreciate it if they could put the ports on each side to allow for flexibility. Only allow one side to be active at a time that way it doesn't become a high voltage issue for children etc.

V1 and V2 Superchargers have two "dispensers" per cabinet and everyone bitches and moans about having to share power... I don't see doing the same thing on CCS as an advantage. Also, as the first person who mistakenly thought there was the possibility of using all 20 plugs at once pointed out, you would need twice as many parking spaces to actually make that work.

Keith

V1 and V2 Superchargers have two "dispensers" per cabinet and everyone bitches and moans about having to share power... I don't see doing the same thing on CCS as an advantage. Also, as the first person who mistakenly thought there was the possibility of using all 20 plugs at once pointed out, you would need twice as many parking spaces to actually make that work.
I didn't say share the power. I said share the enclosure. Those things are freaking huge.

Have you ever done a full charge from low SOC to 90% on the Setec adapter to get charging curve data on it? I figured it was limited to 70 KW since it is limited to 200 amps, but 78 KW sounds even better :) A heck of a lot better than a CHAdeMO adapter.

Keith
I haven’t. I have free unlimited superchargeing. So, my goal for the Setec is just to get me to a supercharger. For example, was late to work last week so didn’t stop on the way in. With vampire drain was down to 16% when I got back to airport. The 4 bay SC was full up. Broke down and spent the $8 to get me to my usual stop in NJ without having to wait for a Sc. Since the JFK SC is v1, it’s basically the same rate of charge as the Setec if I’m sharing a charger pair

I didn't say share the power. I said share the enclosure. Those things are freaking huge.
They are huge because they have a cable cooling system, billing electronics, a full windows 10 computer system, and a giant touch screen. I doubt the cable cooling system is robust enough to cool too cables at once. Also, they don't have double decker parking lots, so there isn't anywhere for a second car to park while charging unless you rip out 5 out of the 10 chargers leaving you with the same number of available charging plugs as they have now.

Keith

They are huge because they have a cable cooling system, billing electronics, a full windows 10 computer system, and a giant touch screen. I doubt the cable cooling system is robust enough to cool too cables at once.

Speaking of bad design.... A Raspberry Pi could handle that task in a fraction of the space, for a fraction of the cost, and with lower cooling requirements. But I digress. :)

I always assumed they just wanted them to look like gas pumps....

Also, they don't have double decker parking lots, so there isn't anywhere for a second car to park while charging unless you rip out 5 out of the 10 chargers leaving you with the same number of available charging plugs as they have now.

On the other side of the charger? They bizarrely put them on the edge of the parking lot. All you'd have to do is put them in the middle of a row instead, the way Tesla usually does, and now you have the back end of one car on one side and the back end of another car on the other side.

Speaking of bad design.... A Raspberry Pi could handle that task in a fraction of the space, for a fraction of the cost, and with lower cooling requirements. But I digress. :)

Unlike Tesla's design which have the actual "chargers" in huge cabinets at some other location, I believe the many of the EA chargers have the actual chargers inside the box that you see (that looks like gas dispensers).

annotation-2020-07-01-140849.jpg

DC Fast Charger

The ones using a separate cabinet are more compact. It seems the thing on top houses a 4G antenna and a retraction mechanism. Given CCS and CHAdeMO cars have no commonality on port location (unlike Teslas), I guess they had to use a design that is more like a gas pump with long reach hoses.
infographic85187df0c1f463c09537ff0000433538.png

High Power Charging | High Power Fast Chargers

On this note, there are a small subset of EVgo chargers where on a given charger (or pedestal/dispenser) both the CHAdeMO and CCS plug CAN be used at the same time. Search for Electric Vehicle Charging Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for same time.

The Delta ones at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You have the sticker the above refers to.

Not sure what's meant by first, many EVs shipped before Tesla shipped their original Roadster.

On stopcrazypp's note, there is My informal tour of an Electrify America station in... on EA's ABB equipment. EA uses three other vendors, as well: BTC Power, Signet and Efacec.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Unlike Tesla's design which have the actual "chargers" in huge cabinets at some other location, I believe the many of the EA chargers have the actual chargers inside the box that you see (that looks like gas dispensers).

annotation-2020-07-01-140849.jpg

DC Fast Charger

The ones using a separate cabinet are more compact. It seems the thing on top houses a 4G antenna and a retraction mechanism. Given CCS and CHAdeMO cars have no commonality on port location (unlike Teslas), I guess they had to use a design that is more like a gas pump with long reach hoses.
infographic85187df0c1f463c09537ff0000433538.png

High Power Charging | High Power Fast Chargers

Yeah, the old 25 KW and 50 KW and even some of the medium power Chargepoint and EVGo chargers actually have the charger built into the unit that you are plugging into. With the ultra high power chargers from Electrify America (150 KW and 350 KW) the thing you plug into is just a dispensing system with the actual chargers all gathered together in an enclosure nearby. In states with homeless problems, these enclosures are commonly broken into and used as dwellings.

Keith

On the other side of the charger? They bizarrely put them on the edge of the parking lot. All you'd have to do is put them in the middle of a row instead, the way Tesla usually does, and now you have the back end of one car on one side and the back end of another car on the other side.

The majority of Superchargers I have seen are at the edge of a parking lot... the ones in Meridian Mississippi are an exception to that rule and were more expensive to install because of that. When the power has to be trenched under the pavement to put the chargers between two rows of parking spots it cost a lot more money than trenching through dirt next to the edge of a parking lot.

Keith

Essentially none of EA’s charging locations have dispensers with built-in chargers. All of the actual AC to DC charging circuitry is in an external cabinet located nearby similarly to how Tesla does it. Even EAs small number of sites that have 50 kW dispensers use external charger cabinets. The only “EA” sites with charging circuits inside the dispenser are from the very early funding that they gave to EVgo to build a tiny number of early jointly-branded locations.
In states with homeless problems, these enclosures are commonly broken into and used as dwellings.
I’ve visited dozens of EA charging sites across the western U.S. in both urban and rural locations, including most sites in Los Angeles and the SF Bay Area, and have never seen this happen.

Reactions: cwerdna and Zoomit
Essentially none of EA’s charging locations have dispensers with built-in chargers. All of the actual AC to DC charging circuitry is in an external cabinet located nearby similarly to how Tesla does it. Even EAs small number of sites that have 50 kW dispensers use external charger cabinets. The only “EA” sites with charging circuits inside the dispenser are from the very early funding that they gave to EVgo to build a tiny number of early jointly-branded locations.

I’ve visited dozens of EA charging sites across the western U.S. in both urban and rural locations, including most sites in Los Angeles and the SF Bay Area, and have never seen this happen.

I read a report about EA workers having trouble getting to cabinets to complete repairs due to this issue... perhaps it was a false report. I commonly find the locks broken on the enclosures... perhaps they are only broken into for fun?

Keith