Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The older Model Ss and Xs don't have the hardware necessary to talk to a CCS charger. (This is an absolute fact. They even needed the retrofit hardware in Europe to use the CCS adapter there.) And the original North American, NA, Model 3s had a different charge port controller, with a smaller processor, than the one used in Europe that supports CCS. (People that have third-party passive CCS adapters have said that they had to replace the original NA charge port controller with a European one to get it to work.)
Setec adapter doesn't require a retrofit and currently works on S/X/3/Y albeit with chademo protocol from my understanding. Would love some specifics if anyone could share?

Setec adapter doesn't require a retrofit and currently works on S/X/3/Y albeit with chademo protocol from my understanding. Would love some specifics if anyone could share?
Correct, the SETEC adapter converts CCS from the charge station into CHAdeMO that the Tesla can understand. But it is limited to ~50kW and has a lot of compatibility issues. (As well as a major safety issue.)

I just hope the NA cars don't need a car side retrofit and that the cost is a bit lower in USD (as direct exchange works out to $250, which is a bit much for a dumb adapter).

As someone who paid full price for the tesla ChaDeMo adapter 2 years ago, and has only used it about 10 times in all that time, I would gladly drop $250-300 for the much more useful CCS adapter.

This Summer I put 11000 miles on my tesla, driving across the US twice, and only "needed" the chademo adapter once, and that was because I needed lunch and the tesla super was too far from cracker barrel (EA is across the street in Kingman, AZ) (also the tesla supercharger in Kingman is absolute trash, on the far end of town and 120kw max V2 chargers, and I think the entire transformer must have been rated for only 200kw total, because when all the stalls were full, charge rate was around 20-30kw,

Reactions: Xebec

The support page at 공공 충전기 이용 via Google Translate says:
The CCS Combo 1 adapter has received domestic safety certification (KC) and can be used only with chargers that support the CCS Combo 1 charging standard among public quick chargers. If you use the CCS Combo 1 adapter, you can charge up to 300A, but the charging speed may vary depending on the capacity of the charger, charging conditions, and vehicle condition.

Therefore, the CCS Combo 1 adapter can only be used in public fast chargers with a rated output of 300A or less, which are currently distributed in Korea. Please be aware that it is currently not available for public quick chargers exceeding 300A due to parts that require additional progress, such as testing for use of the fast charger and consultation with the charger operator. Tesla is not responsible for any problems resulting from the use of public rapid chargers exceeding 300A.

Reactions: SageBrush
That may explain the delayed roll-out to N.A

Asking a 'Merkin to read a charger nameplate is a joke. As is, this forum has its collection of s*** that damaged their cars with SETEC and then demanded Tesla fix them for free.
Link please? I have not heard of anyone damaging their car with the SETEC adapter, let alone trying to get Tesla to fix it on these forums.

Keith

PS: We do have people saying "hey it will charge wicked fast even though it has a 300 amp rating, it will exceed that without issue".... I see THAT as the delaying factor in moving these over to North America.

Link please? I have not heard of anyone damaging their car with the SETEC adapter, let alone trying to get Tesla to fix it on these forums.

Keith

PS: We do have people saying "hey it will charge wicked fast even though it has a 300 amp rating, it will exceed that without issue".... I see THAT as the delaying factor in moving these over to North America.
Not sure about warranty or anything else, but this is the one that I remember:

Here, start at post #356 and read forward:
"So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed."

And his report in comment #405 when Tesla got the parts and fixed it under warranty:
"So I finally got my car back from the service center after waiting on parts for about a month. Looks like the adapter caused some pretty good damage, but the repairs were free since I’m still under warranty. I did not tell them about the adapter.

following items were replaced :
Charger port MCU
Charge port to PCS (onboard charger) HV cable
Charge port to Battery HV cable
PCS (power conversion system)"

Keith

The car will negotiate with the charger as to how much it can accept.

Reactions: jsight