Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Annual Shareholder Meeting and Battery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3s in the "crowd" seemed to all have chrome delete and a new style of alloy. I didnt watch all of it, but was there any mention of Model 3 design changes?

I was eagerly listening out for any of this as I due to collect this week. There was nothing on M3.

Elon was asked about heat pump in q&a which would given him ample opportunity to mention incoming on m3 but made no reference. Not a definite sign but would have thought he’d have mentioned it if it was soon.

when asked about price reductions he mentioned the margins are only 1 percent and they are already cheaper than comparable ICEs all things considered.

Lastly, one of their graphs had the long range battery tech earmarked for trucks/cyber truck.

so maybe a little of only hearing what I want to hear but didn’t see anything to suggest imminent model 3 changes or even new battery’s on it anytime soon

The bit that caused the eyebrow twitch was all these plans for massive increase in production volumes, lower costs, $25K car etc are all predicated on the new ground-breaking battery technologies. While It's amazing that the company has decided to address a global battery supply bottleneck by effectively 'reinventing the wheel' (or should that be battery) - The 'not quite there yet' statement made me nervous (especially as a shareholder)

Last edited:
It's Tesla, not Apple. All future possibilities if they can solve the remaining issues etc. Nothing new for the short term. No Model 3 deliveries will be cancelled or returned after battery day and business can resume as normal :)

The bit that caused the eyebrow twitch was all these plans for massive increase in production volumes, lower costs, $25K car etc are all predicated on the new ground-breaking battery technologies.

Yes, it is true that all of these improvements seem to be gated by new production facilities, and all of the stages will have yield issues to start with, but it seems that only the dry extrusion process is currently a major bottleneck. So long as they can make enough tabless 4680? cells from their pilot line to supply the vehicle R&D in the short term, they should be OK to start planning the production which will use these cells. Maybe the first factory needs to over-provision the space for the front end of the line, but they still have a couple of years to fine-tune the process - and this was only ~14% of the saving, even if they skip that on phase 1.

The 'not quite there yet' statement made me nervous (especially as a shareholder)

The only two questions, as a shareholder, you need to ask yourself: "will anyone else do this first?" and "If they are first, what is the global oppotunity?"

If the answers are "Tesla" and "huge" then all you got to decide is how long you wont need the money for.

If all you are looking at is short term, you are not a shareholder, you are a trader.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Thas one big battery tin they announced :D

_114568366_tesla2.jpeg

It’s incredible that the press are reporting $50b wiped off the value of Tesla after the presentation.

I think mush of that is the timeframe of the announced improvements.

I think there will be a bloodbath when trading starts today.
To be honest anyone looking at the current share price and realising that Tesla's market capitalisation is greater than places like Ford, GM and Chrysler combined, as well as being bigger than Walmart, and thinking "yes, this is normal", needs to have a word with themselves.

A lot of near-sighted investors getting swept up in "number goes up, up, UP!" without any critical thinking really are likely to be in line for disappointment.

It seems to me the current share price is predicated on basically sustained mindblowing news, so when things are slightly underwhelming, or even just realistic, the priced in gains are wiped out from short term investors getting skittish.

Obviously the share price has been great for people who got in a few months ago, but at this point you have to think that there's a lot of speculation and expectations priced in, so it feels like it is going to be volatile.

It’s incredible that the press are reporting $50b wiped off the value of Tesla after the presentation.
Were you expecting cathode news click-bait ?

This is why I love Tesla. They are unapologetically geeky engineers. 90% of the presentation went right over the head of listening journalists and of the remainder, 99% was deemed uninteresting to their mainstream readership. I have never heard a commercial presentation that was so chock full of technical details. It was freaking awesome.

V2G. I was surprised that Elon completely missed the concept of V2G. He seemed to think it was for supplying electricity to your house - it's not. He seemed to think that you would supply 100% of your battery which I don't think anyone has ever suggested. I found this lack of understanding of the V2G principle surprising and disappointing. It does mean however those folk who are developing V2G will be years ahead of Tesla!

Did I hear them say that bi-directional flow is possible in Europe with a software update?

Were you expecting cathode news click-bait ?

This is why I love Tesla. They are unapologetically geeky engineers. 90% of the presentation went right over the head of listening journalists and of the remainder, 99% was deemed uninteresting to their mainstream readership. I have never heard a commercial presentation that was so chock full of technical details. It was freaking awesome.
Well said. I felt like I was back in an Intel BUM (Business Update Meeting). Freaking awesome!!

I'm afraid to say that I ended up shouting at the screen whilst Elon was going on about new developments.

They all looked pretty good, but being sat here (like hundreds, maybe thousands, of others within Europe at the moment) with a car that refuses to talk to the app, because, yet again, something is broken in the systems or software somewhere, did have me yelling at Elon to just make my fecking car work reliably BEFORE doing all this nice shiny stuff.

Reactions: Type2