Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app down - 503 maintenance error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like this was a fairly significant outage. I wonder if Elon will let us know what happened?

However, it needs to be pointed out this only affects remote access (and logging in). Your phone will continue to work as a key (and be able to send commands to the car) when in Bluetooth range. Whatever you do, DO NOT log out of the app when the servers are down, as then you will lose key functionality and you wonā€™t be able to log back in until the servers are back up.

Iā€™m sure, much like last time there was a significant outage, the media will claim oodles of Tesla owners were locked out of their vehicles, but that will have only applied to those that deleted/reinstalled or logged out of the app. Talk about the nuclear optionā€¦

I think it's an oft recommended step when an app doesn't work, logout, uninstall, reinstall, log back in type thing.

I'm not saying I do it, but I've seen it recommended on many websites for app problems.
Which in this case is very not recommended as it disables the app until the servers return. But unfortunately itā€™s what a lot of people do as ā€œthatā€™s what you do when the app doesnā€™t work.ā€

Back up for me.

Guess it serves as a reminder: ABC - Always Be Cardin.... OK that was a piss poor attempt to say to always have your Tesla keycard on you! (not that this server outage impacted that, but still).

Do people regularly log out of the app? Had my car for nearly a year and I've never logged out once.

What tends to happen is that people sometimes log out & in in an attempt to resolve a connectivity problem ... thinking that it's their phone/app and that it may be resolved by logging out/in. In some instances that not be a bad idea ... but ... not very often! (I don't think I've ever done it either.)