TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla App Feature Wish - Crack the Window Open

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tangent, Apr 29, 2018.

1. tangent

tangent Member

Warmer weather is finally here, as a first-year owner of Model X, I quickly notices the cabinet temperature heats up pretty quickly even when the outside temperature is just a tad north of 70 degrees. Wouldn't that be nice to have this feature in a mobile app that I could use to crack all windows open a tad bit, or have them all close (in case the storm comes)?

• Like x 4
  2. Dave4548

Dave4548 New Member

I would love that feature. I struggle with cracking the windows when the power takes over and pulls it all the way down or closes it automatically.

3. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Cabin overheat protection is probably a better solution here for most scenarios. It ventilates to outside while the windows remain closed and using minimal power in our experience.

• Informative x 1
  4. AxeBro

AxeBro MrTryTesla.com

I would love a close all windows too. Every now and then, i've noticed my windows slightly opened (by a passenger or whatever), and it might be a day or so before I notice. The car is garaged when at home and where available, but still.

• Like x 1
  5. tangent

tangent Member

I have just checked Tesla's unofficial API, l don't see there is any information on querying windows state or controls of windows. Let's hope Tesla would notice this thread and add the API.

6. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

You can turn on the AC from the app, which at least partly covers your use case (without the rain risk).

7. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes Tesla doesn't support opening or closing windows remotely. But they easily could. The iPhone app 'Remote S' has a few cool features. One of them is with one button you can turn the AC to lowest setting and vent the roof. Cools the car down quickly.

8. jlarmstr

jlarmstr Member

I would like this feature as well. I would even add to this .... use the rain sensors and when rain is detected, it will close windows automatically if not already closed.

9. XjteX

XjteX Member

Love this idea as well

10. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I wonder if not having the ability to control the windows via the API is a security feature? If someone hacks into your car, at least they can't open the windows and gain access to the vehicle.

Otherwise, I do like the idea to be able to at least close the windows remotely, assuming that too isn't a security issue since someone could have their fingers or arm in the window when someone issues the remote close command.

11. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Active Member

I have wanted remote window control for years with my S. It'd be perfect for this week, with temps expected to just reach 70.
    I don't think it'd be security issue; certainly not more so than being able to unlock the car which we already can.

Originally, holding the roof of the key fob would lower all windows all the way, if within range. In a minute the car could cool 10-20 degrees. Unfortunately there was no way to close them. Tesla removed that feature with a software update, presumably because too many people sat on their fob when it was raining.

• Like x 1