Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla app on Apple Watch [not available - third party options only]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon may think smart watches are old-fashioned technology, but I find my Apple Watch very useful. It's high time Tesla implemented an Apple Watch app to accompany its iPhone app, especially since recent software updates force us to launch the iPhone app before we can start driving. That's really inconvenient, but supposedly a security measure. An Apple Watch app would be a perfect solution. Elon?

especially since recent software updates force us to launch the iPhone app before we can start driving. That's really inconvenient, but supposedly a security measure.

Huh? I haven't noticed any issues with getting in the car and driving without launching the app with my iPhone 10S. AFAIK my phone is up to date with software as I have automatic updates on.

I have Apple Watch with cell. And I have Stat and remote apps. I cannot unlock or control my car using the Apple Watch alone. I have to have my phone with me. I think watch app has to connect to phone app to control functions. And watch app doesn’t utilize cell connection unfortunately. I was going to use my watch as a backup key when phone dies but.... No. At least, I can call my wife using my watch and have her unlock and start the car for me remotely.

Elon may think smart watches are old-fashioned technology, but I find my Apple Watch very useful. It's high time Tesla implemented an Apple Watch app to accompany its iPhone app, especially since recent software updates force us to launch the iPhone app before we can start driving. That's really inconvenient, but supposedly a security measure. An Apple Watch app would be a perfect solution. Elon?

Huh? I haven't noticed any issues with getting in the car and driving without launching the app with my iPhone 10S. AFAIK my phone is up to date with software as I have automatic updates on.

You definitely do NOT have to open the app before starting your car. I have no idea what Voyageur is talking about. Maybe make sure you are allowing the Tesla app to run in the background.

As far as Apple Watch apps go, I have been very happy with "Watch for Tesla". You can do pretty much everything outside of using it as a key. It was only $3.99 on the Apple store.

I have used Remote for Tesla for a long time, originally in 2015 with Apple Watch 3and my Model S. I have had zero problems and it easily controls the functions I use. Of course I admit that I use the iPhone for opening, closing and operation. Mostly I use the Remote for Tesla to monitor and manage charging, plus HVAC functions from time to time, preconditioning for hot or cold weather.

Stats works too, but I find it a trifle inelegant. Petty objection, I know. OTOH, one of my medical friends went out and bought a Tesla after seeing the app on my watch. He is a bit of a nerd but the watch app seemed be his triggering event.

I am confident we'll see more features soon from Apple Watch 6 revised apps.

Reactions: KenC and davezforce
I am paranoid about security with 3rd party apps. They are getting my username and pw to the car. Sadly, I just don't have much trust in these companies' abilities to keep that data safe. Yes, I know Tesla has it, but there is no choice there! As such, I uninstalled STATS and changes my PW. I was ultimately only using it to control my M3 via my watch, so I'm hoping Tesla will add this feature.

I have Stats on the iPhone and on my Apple Watch. Recently, I also signed up for Teslafi. I noticed that my car keeps waking up and doesn’t have long sleep periods. The idle time was sometimes higher than the sleep time. I had vampire drain of between 5-10 miles per day. Roughly 1-2 kwh. I did some research on it and found two sources saying to remove the app from the watch. One source is a Tesla tech.

So I did. The vampire drain is almost gone. I currently recorded of 19 hours sleep for the car. I work from home and I do not have a home charger, so the vampire drain was hurting my range and make me charge more often than I would like to do.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
As much as I like Stats (and already paid for it), I like Teslafi better. Even the Stats developer told me the 2 of them don't play well together. I tried adjusting all the settings, but still couldn't get the car to stay asleep consistently. Another culprit was using the Stats widget on my phone. Once I removed Stats, my car slept like a baby.

I just installed Watch for Tesla, and I'm going to see if I run into the same problems. I suspect I will.

As much as I like Stats (and already paid for it), I like Teslafi better. Even the Stats developer told me the 2 of them don't play well together. I tried adjusting all the settings, but still couldn't get the car to stay asleep consistently. Another culprit was using the Stats widget on my phone. Once I removed Stats, my car slept like a baby.

I just installed Watch for Tesla, and I'm going to see if I run into the same problems. I suspect I will.
It is my understanding that ALL Apple Watch apps cause the car to stay awake. People do not notice this because they do not have TeslaFi. I didn't notice it either until I signed up for TeslaFi this May. I still have the Stats app on my iPhone but I am not using the watch app or the widgets on the phone. I hope that the Watch for Tesla lets the car sleep. Please keep us posted.

It is my understanding that ALL Apple Watch apps cause the car to stay awake. People do not notice this because they do not have TeslaFi. I didn't notice it either until I signed up for TeslaFi this May. I still have the Stats app on my iPhone but I am not using the watch app or the widgets on the phone. I hope that the Watch for Tesla lets the car sleep. Please keep us posted.
The Watch app for Tesla will allow the car to sleep if you select correct settings. You can chose the interval for waking or not at all until selected.

The Watch app for Tesla will allow the car to sleep if you select correct settings. You can chose the interval for waking or not at all until selected.
Yep, if you choose the option to wake the vehicle at certain intervals (so that your watch can update itself with the vehicle‘s current status), the interval can be set anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 5 hrs (in 15 minute increments).

I love this app and use it pretty much on every drive where I need/want to control the vehicle (like opening the trunk or frunk, turning on the climate system to cool or heat up the cabin before I hop into the vehicle, etc…). It has worked flawlessly for me, even after every Tesla vehicle software update.