Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app on Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a LTE model yes. The reason is the watch won’t connect to the car via Bluetooth like the phone app. I tried it today and it worked flawlessly. I can either use Siri or the app itself right on the watch with my phone home. You will have to enable remote start in the settings to drive the car.
Have you done this? i thought you needed the actual Tesla app running on your mobile device for it to function as a key?

Have you done this? i thought you needed the actual Tesla app running on your mobile device for it to function as a key?
I believe it‘s working more like teslafi, Tezlab, etc at that point. You use the Tesla api call from the watch app to wake the car, unlock, etc. The actual Tesla app isn’t being used. If your phone is around it would use its network otherwise the watch would ween Wi-Fi or LTE on.

Yes but there’s a feature in the car called Remote Start. With this feature you can drive with no keycard no keyfob no phone needed. There’s a 2 min countdown for you or anyone to drive. And the watch app is using this feature to let you drive away with only the watch. As long as you start driving within 2 mins you’re good to go.

Yes but there’s a feature in the car called Remote Start. With this feature you can drive with no keycard no keyfob no phone needed. There’s a 2 min countdown for you or anyone to drive. And the watch app is using this feature to let you drive away with only the watch. As long as you start driving within 2 mins you’re good to go.
Interesting, I may have a play with this

Its not functioning as a key in the mode that the tesla app does, its simply using "remote unlock" or "remote start" like you can in the tesla app. It is NOT "phone as key". The distinction is that phone as key works over Bluetooth LE and thus will work when you are parked in places without cellular signal. using the watch, with any of those third party apps, will not.

Now, a person should always have their keycard as a backup, so this might not be "a big deal" for many, BUT its an important distinction. NO watch app functions as "phone as key" although many of them can both unlock the car, and start it, provided both you AND the car, are in a place that get cellular signal.

Thanks for all the replies.
It sounds like the Apple watch is not ready for prime time to use with the Tesla.
Since the watch has Cellular and BT what is missing from working like the iPhone?
Like I said in a previous post, the watch CANNOT connect to the car via Bluetooth like the Tesla application can on the iPhone. That’s why you gonna need your phone next to you which defies the whole point of having the a watch app. Lte watch will work independently from the phone. That’s why a LTE watch is the best for this situation since you won’t need the phone next to you.

Reactions: leenanj
Thanks for all the replies.
It sounds like the Apple watch is not ready for prime time to use with the Tesla.
Since the watch has Cellular and BT what is missing from working like the iPhone?

Whats missing is that tesla does not have a watch version of the tesla app. That appears to be a choice by tesla. until and unless they do, you will not be able to use phone as key in the same manner as the tesla app, however the third party apps will work as a work around as described in this thread, with the caveats mentioned.

I have STATs for Iphone and Apple Watch and it seems to take 15-30 seconds to connect to the car in the morning when its sleeping so commands don't always go through. Does anyone else have this problem and are other Apple Watch apps more instantaneous with its commands when the car is sleeping?

I have STATs for Iphone and Apple Watch and it seems to take 15-30 seconds to connect to the car in the morning when its sleeping so commands don't always go through. Does anyone else have this problem and are other Apple Watch apps more instantaneous with its commands when the car is sleeping?
All apps use the same Tesla API calls so the same response time will generally be the same depending on the state of the car. Faster if it's awake, slower if it's sleeping.

For what it's worth, I've been using the app below for more than a year now and love it:

https://www.watchfortesla.com/

I encountered an issue when I traded in my 3 for my Y and they were very supportive. I personally consider it a must-have, particularly given the price ($8.99 when I got it, $11.99 as of this typing).
I downloaded it but am not comfortable using my Tesla credentials to log in. I know it's necessary but... Were you concerned??

Reactions: El joe
I downloaded it but am not comfortable using my Tesla credentials to log in. I know it's necessary but... Were you concerned??
A little, but it hasn’t been an issue since I did it. I’ve actually emailed back and forth with the person who runs it (I was having issues when I switched Teslas) and she’s super cool and very responsive. I’d reach out if you’re worried but still interested.

Reactions: YBLee
I set up 2 factor authentication with Tesla so every time I log into Tesla I have to enter an authentication code. Hopefully this prevents any apps or hackers from getting access to my account.

I just bought ”Watch for Tesla” app and its working pretty well.

Reactions: SWIPE
For what it's worth, I've been using the app below for more than a year now and love it:

https://www.watchfortesla.com/

I encountered an issue when I traded in my 3 for my Y and they were very supportive. I personally consider it a must-have, particularly given the price ($8.99 when I got it, $11.99 as of this typing).
Got this app based on peoples response here!

One major concern. When my 1 year premium connectivity runs out does that mean this app will no longer work? Without paying $10 per month to Tesla this watch app or any app that requires connectivity is shot! Right?