Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app unable to wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the issue could be due to the new app update 4.23.6 as few of my friends don’t any issues connecting with 2020.20.9. They are on older version of the app.
I was really starting to worry it was my car in the heat as it only has happened to me when I’ve left it out in the heat. But thankfully from what I’ve found, this doesn’t seem to be the case. Really weird that the app doesn’t connect on LTE after it happens but WiFI works fine. But all other LTE connections in the car are fine. So the cause being the app would make sense. Hopefully it is fixed soon.

Reactions: RajG
What version are you on?
20.9 but I don't think it's the car firmware
Might be a App issue (4.23.6-1844) or an issue with the carrier that is responsible for the signal carriage between car and the mothership. Hellstra in this case

Don't know if this is the same issue:

1BA75D04-5D5B-4E47-A837-D5608A2FD0F5.jpeg

This issue seems to be reoccurring for me from today. Anyone else in Australia notice that their car does not wake up when opening the Tesla app when your Tesla is asleep?

Waking manually via the door or via bluetooth when in range is not a problem. Maybe Telstra SMS service is broken again for Tesla.

ChargeHQ at least now warns me that it cannot wake the car and with scheduled charging enabled the car wakes itself via timer, at 10am for me, so that the car will charge and then ChargeHQ can then manage while awake.

This issue seems to be reoccurring for me from today. Anyone else in Australia notice that their car does not wake up when opening the Tesla app when your Tesla is asleep?

Waking manually via the door or via bluetooth when in range is not a problem. Maybe Telstra SMS service is broken again for Tesla.

ChargeHQ at least now warns me that it cannot wake the car and with scheduled charging enabled the car wakes itself via timer, at 10am for me, so that the car will charge and then ChargeHQ can then manage whilsofdtresr

That happens now and again. No idea why. Don’t sweat it, it’ll come good again by itself.
Yep I agree, happens now and then in UK too . Could be a mere glitch.

No issues waking my car
I will also clarify there was also 2 days when the car was not driven or charged and it was parked at a work carpark and the connectivity was only 2 bars LTE with no wifi connection. No issues.

I have not been able to discern whether it is more likely at certain locations.

It is annoying.
I think it is not limited to Tesla. My friend who has a Ranger has similar problems with connectivity between the Ford app and car

Sometimes it seems to be excessively slow to wake the car, but it works eventually. At least most of the time. But perhaps not until after I have given up waiting and just walk to the car.

Would be great if Tesla themselves had an open issue tracker.

Would really like that too. Help answer "Am I really the only one to have this particular problem? Are there any work arounds I should try? Do I have the fix already? What do I need to do to get the fix? etc"

But conventional wisdom is we don't want to publish our issues, they will be used against us.

I hate this attitude. Means that I am reliant on the Tesla technicians to correctly diagnose an issue that may or may not be a common problem.

Yep, has been like that for a few days now, same as last time....
Same here. It's fine when the car is awake (eg when sentry mode is on) but my evcc (which I've been using to charge the car instead of ChargeHQ) hasn't been able to wake the car in the morning when at home the last few days.
Fortunately my phone is within Bluetooth range when home, so I can lock/unlock the car to wake it up manually.

Am pondering how hard it would be to send the Bluetooth unlock code on a Raspberry Pi or similar so I can automate waking the car at all times.

Same here. It's fine when the car is awake (eg when sentry mode is on) but my evcc (which I've been using to charge the car instead of ChargeHQ) hasn't been able to wake the car in the morning when at home the last few days.
Fortunately my phone is within Bluetooth range when home, so I can lock/unlock the car to wake it up manually.

Am pondering how hard it would be to send the Bluetooth unlock code on a Raspberry Pi or similar so I can automate waking the car at all times.
If you use scheduled charging the onboard timer in the car will always wake the car at the scheduled time. Can evcc then be used to control the charge rate or stop the car after that, like ChargeHQ supports?

If you use scheduled charging the onboard timer in the car will always wake the car at the scheduled time. Can evcc then be used to control the charge rate or stop the car after that, like ChargeHQ supports?
It can, but my solar excess has started at different times the last few mornings thanks to cloud cover.
And (until October) I pay 60c for grid power between 7am and 11am so starting the charge early anyway isn't an option.