Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app unable to wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the recent, I'm on 2023.12.5, have had the issue, have 2023.12.9 waiting to install when I get home. I'll see if anything changes.
Update: This morning (after the car being asleep for 12 hours, sentry not enabled, phone at back of house away from car) it was fine! But not sure if that is due to software update or changes elsewhere (Telstra, etc).

Update: This morning (after the car being asleep for 12 hours, sentry not enabled, phone at back of house away from car) it was fine! But not sure if that is due to software update or changes elsewhere (Telstra, etc).
The failure was independant of the car software release. I was on 2023.12.9 the whole time, someone was on 2022 series and had the problem too.

Problem seems fixed for me. Speaking with Tesla Service Team, it does indeed appear to have been an issue with Telstra not Tesla.
Currently on 2023.12.9 ... waiting for the next adventure, a.k.a. 2023.20.x :)
Its odd that the supposed telstra problem only impacted tesla cars and not other brands of connected cars.
I did note at the time that I could not connect whilst our car was moving in our wifi connected garage. Not sure how telstra would be involved in that scenario.

Its odd that the supposed telstra problem only impacted tesla cars and not other brands of connected cars.

You might have missed this post. It wasn't just Tesla.

The fix isn't applied to the vehicles, it's applied at the Telstra LTE network hubs.

This is why the Kia Connect service for example, came back online around the same time.

I am experiencing the same issue after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Tesla software version - 2023.20.9
Vehicle - model y 2023
Tesla app version - 4.23.6
Not sure if this is after the update on app or software on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Vehicle - model y 2023
The issue that occurred here as noted in this thread was localised to Australia/New Zealand and was due to the wake up SMS not being delivered or ill formed coming from the local telecom provider Telstra.
If a reset using the two steering wheel scroll buttons does not resolve the issue you could try to see if other local UK users are experiencing similar issues and/or contact Tesla service.

The issue that occurred here as noted in this thread was localised to Australia/New Zealand and was due to the wake up SMS not being delivered or ill formed coming from the local telecom provider Telstra.
If a reset using the two steering wheel scroll buttons does not resolve the issue you could try to see if other local UK users are experiencing similar issues and/or contact Tesla service.
i should have checked the region of this thread before posting. my apologies.

The Next Gen Ranger groups are also complaining about remote engine starts not working using their apps. In both cases a signal is sent from the mothership to the vehicle and is at the mercy of whoever is responsible for the last mile

One other common factor is when the vehicle is in deep sleep.

i should have checked the region of this thread before posting. my apologies.
Still a valid data point as to what might cause your issue but just for context of what occurred here.
not sure how relevant it is, but did you guys try cycling the locks on the app to wake the vehicle up from deep sleep?
In this instance cycling the lock on the app would not wake the car if it was already asleep.
you sure about that? i switched off the bluetooth on my phone> opened the app> flicked the locks to open> they did open.
If the issue is that the SMS message is failing to wake the car, if the car is still awake then using the app with bluetooth off will unlock the car if the car is still awake or if the car is asleep then the unlock function will fail if bluetooth is off and the SMS wake function is not working. A work around, though not energy efficient, is to leave sentry mode always on if the wake from sleep is not working as with sentry mode always on the car never sleeps. This will increase battery drain when the car is not in use though.

Reactions: RajG
you sure about that?
Yes I've tried that several times - doors, frunk, even charging port. Bluetooth only activates the locks and nothing else. It does not activate Climate settings. Location in app shows the correct location on map but the App cannot recognise and locate the vehicle. Even logging out of app and logging back in does not work

I can even charge the car and the in-car charging screen is saying car charging but the app is still searching for car.
The LTE signal in the car and the app is 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: RajG
Vehicle - model y 2023

I’m experiencing this in the UK, same car, software version and app version.

I posted about it on this existing thread in UK forum today

• Helpful
Reactions: RichardV