Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no, Shoulder is 2nd priority. It doesn't make sense to power home during shoulder if it cannot make it totally through or even to Peak. That would be wrong. Do you agree with that?
I'll find some old screen shots
I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about behavior of the system. There is no difference in behavior between shoulder and peak in cost savings. That is why I showed you that chart. Both say "Any usage" This means they both behave the same. Where as for Balanced, it is net usage for shoulder and any usage for peak. So the system behaves different during shoulder and peak.

Yes, if your batteries are below a certain level and are used to power your house, peak will be prioritized over cost savings.

how to do that?
For Android, just open Google Play Store, click on your profile icon at top right. Then click Manage. Find Tesla in your list of apps. Click on the three dots icon at the top right and then uncheck "Enable auto update".

While the v4.x features for vehicles are slick, there's not actually a lot of new functionality other than the shared Phone as Key. I can live without v4.x for the time being if that means I can keep my Powerwalls running in Balanced mode and still get the graphs we've had for the past 3 years. I may swap v4.x to my primary Android device eventually and put v3.10.14 back on my tablet as that would allow me to still run in Balanced mode...at least until they stop supporting 3.10.14!

Reactions: SVDNN and h2ofun
For Android, just open Google Play Store, click on your profile icon at top right. Then click Manage. Find Tesla in your list of apps. Click on the three dots icon at the top right and then uncheck "Enable auto update".

While the v4.x features for vehicles are slick, there's not actually a lot of new functionality other than the shared Phone as Key. I can live without v4.x for the time being if that means I can keep my Powerwalls running in Balanced mode and still get the graphs we've had for the past 3 years. I may swap v4.x to my primary Android device eventually and put v3.10.14 back on my tablet as that would allow me to still run in Balanced mode...at least until they stop supporting 3.10.14!
Can you still get the v3 download from google play store?

I will probably stick with the old app version myself for now as it meets my needs. But it will be interesting to see how long balanced mode is supported - I know the current behavior is that it is automatically switched when opening the new app, but at some point they might just remove the mode completely - and just map it to the (previously-named) cost savings one. That seems to be what they did with backup only. My (v3) app still shows me in backup only, but the system behavior has changed to be self powered with 100% reserve.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Don't know how that is possible as it is programmed to treat shoulder exactly like peak
That table is totally wrong for Cost Savings mode. This is not an official Tesla chart.

It's more complex than that. From the actual Tesla manual:

Energy Forecast
Powerwall continuously runs an energy forecast, learning the patterns of your energy use and seasonal solar production. This energy forecast allows your Powerwall to optimize your energy usage. If the forecast shows that you are likely to use energy at a high-cost time, Powerwall prioritizes charging during low-cost periods and discharging during high-cost periods

Basically it will decide when and how to discharge in Cost Savings mode with the intent to get you the best possible price for your power vs how much you have to spend. In may setup and usage, that almost always means it does not discharge during shoulder. The exception is when it thinks that it will fill the batteries sooner during off peak on the next off peak period and therefore selling back during partial would be better than giving it away during peak.

Each users confirguration and usage will change the behavior. This is why they put this disclaimer on it:

Note: Since this smart forecasting needs time to learn about your energy usage, Time-Based Control requires approximately a week before becoming a selectable control mode.

I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about behavior of the system. There is no difference in behavior between shoulder and peak in cost savings. That is why I showed you that chart. Both say "Any usage" This means they both behave the same. Where as for Balanced, it is net usage for shoulder and any usage for peak. So the system behaves different during shoulder and peak.

Yes, if your batteries are below a certain level and are used to power your house, peak will be prioritized over cost savings.
here is a screen shot before I eliminated Shoulder

My Peak is 2 to 9. I have Shoulder before peak and for a couple hours after peak. PWs did not drain below Reserve. There is no discharge during Shoulder

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200319-180238.png
    Screenshot_20200319-180238.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 56
Don't know how that is possible as it is programmed to treat shoulder exactly like peak
That table is totally wrong for Cost Savings mode. This is not an official Tesla chart.

It's more complex than that. From the actual Tesla manual:

Basically it will decide when and how to discharge in Cost Savings mode with the intent to get you the best possible price for your power vs how much you have to spend. In may setup and usage, that almost always means it does not discharge during shoulder. The exception is when it thinks that it will fill the batteries sooner during off peak on the next off peak period and therefore selling back during partial would be better than giving it away during peak.

Each users confirguration and usage will change the behavior. This is why they put this disclaimer on it:

That was exactly my experience. The only time the PWs discharged during Shoulder was on Fridays in anticipation of extra Off Peak on Saturday. It makes no sense to discharge during shoulder if they were charged during Shoulder

The app does weird things for me like not showing anything after 12pm... but the history shows up correctly if I swipe to different days. You can see all the graphs together by clicking the icon on the right. I am living with the bugs as I really need the off grid option because of voltage problems on my power line.

The app does weird things for me like not showing anything after 12pm... but the history shows up correctly if I swipe to different days. You can see all the graphs together by clicking the icon on the right. I am living with the bugs as I really need the off grid option because of voltage problems on my power line.

I noticed that the app does not show data at times (zero flat lines), but if you pull down on the graph it triggers a refresh, and the data is then updated.

I noticed that the app does not show data at times (zero flat lines), but if you pull down on the graph it triggers a refresh, and the data is then updated.
on iOS I was having problems with data updating - no graphs - no backup log updates - lots of stuff missing - I deleted the entire app and then downloaded and installed again and now it’s all working.

I do not like the new app- you used to be able to get specific data points on the graphs by tapping with your finger - things have moved around - overall I think it’s pretty but functionally deficient compared to the previous version

however if you’re having data refresh problems try deleting the entire app and then downloading it again - it cleared up all of my data refresh issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
on iOS I was having problems with data updating - no graphs - no backup log updates - lots of stuff missing - I deleted the entire app and then downloaded and installed again and now it’s all working.

Good point, doing this now for good measure. The app was not showing same day backup history when storm Ida was passing through our area. And it was not possible to refresh the backup history. So hopefully this trick of deleting app and reinstalling it would fix those issues.

I do not like the new app- you used to be able to get specific data points on the graphs by tapping with your finger - things have moved around - overall I think it’s pretty but functionally deficient compared to the previous version
The functionality of tapping on graph to see data for specific times is still there, it is more of a tap and hold until the selector appears. It is not as easy as older app, and you might need to give it a few tries. But yes, overall, the new version looks pretty but I still miss the ease of use of older app.