Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the biggest differences between Cost Savings and Balance is during Shoulder. Not only is there a charge and discharge behavior difference between the two modes, Cost Savings treats shoulder exactly like Peak. It does not distinguish between the two

My Cost Saving mode did not treat Shoulder as Peak. It only sent to the grid during shoulder on Fridays to make room for extended off peak on the weekend. I didn't like this, so I eliminated Shoulder

~75% of smart phone users worldwide use Android. While that might not be the same percentage for Tesla owners, Android users far outnumber iPhone users globally.
Your observation, while correct, is not really relevant to my assertion about Tesla Energy customers. I would actually extend my assertion to all Tesla app users, cars and Energy, being majority iOS users. However, that's just my opinion of Tesla customer demographics and smartphone affinity.

Reactions: alexguichet

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Disagree
Reactions: aesculus
That shows charging Priority. My TOU plan includes a shoulder period before peak. It definitely did not discharge during that Shoulder period before Peak instead reserving charge for Peak during the week. As I said, it did discharge during Shoulder on Fridays, primarily after the Peak ended, but rarely before Peak.
For Cost Savings, you would not want your PW depleting during Shoulder and not have much left for Peak.

Since we have 4 Powerwalls, we should still have enough to cover the peak period but I preferred the old way as I could charge a car via solar before peak. With v4, it would charge the car from the Powerwalls, greatly draining them while sending solar to the grid.
I guess if Tesla doesn't give us back the Balanced mode, then the only way to charge Tesla car from solar is to go off-grid, and set Charging Threshold just below Powerwall SoC.

That shows charging Priority. My TOU plan includes a shoulder period before peak. It definitely did not discharge during that Shoulder period before Peak instead reserving charge for Peak during the week. As I said, it did discharge during Shoulder on Fridays, primarily after the Peak ended, but rarely before Peak.
For Cost Savings, you would not want your PW depleting during Shoulder and not have much left for Peak.
For Cost Savings, during shoulder or peak you battery will supply the house while all solar goes to the grid. It treats both the same. For balanced during shoulder all solar still goes to the house and is only supplemented by the battery if there is not enough solar. During peak balanced behaves just like Cost Savings.

I too miss Balanced. That was the best for me as far as savings goes because I was still able to time shift AND use the grid the least

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
For Cost Savings, during shoulder or peak you battery will supply the house while all solar goes to the grid. It treats both the same. For balanced during shoulder all solar still goes to the house and is only supplemented by the battery if there is not enough solar. During peak balanced behaves just like Cost Savings.

I too miss Balanced. That was the best for me as far as savings goes because I was still able to time shift AND use the grid the least
When I had Shoulder setup in my app, that is not what it did. The PW did NOT power the house during Shoulder most of the time. That would not make sense. I would be charging PW at Shoulder rates and then powering the house at Shoulder rates losing NBCs on every kWh coming from the PW. Further, why would the app "risk" being able to make it 100% thru Peak by discharging during Shoulder? It did not work that way.

When I had Shoulder setup in my app, that is not what it did. The PW did NOT power the house during Shoulder most of the time.
That is exactly what I said. "The only difference between Cost Savings and Balanced is during shoulder."
"For balanced during shoulder all solar still goes to the house and is only supplemented by the battery if there is not enough solar. "

When I had Shoulder setup in my app, that is not what it did. The PW did NOT power the house during Shoulder most of the time. That would not make sense. I would be charging PW at Shoulder rates and then powering the house at Shoulder rates losing NBCs on every kWh coming from the PW. Further, why would the app "risk" being able to make it 100% thru Peak by discharging during Shoulder? It did not work that way.
I think that's why several of us are upset about losing balanced. The way it's working now, it could drain the Powerwalls before peak starts and send all solar back to the grid at shoulder rates. Then it could possibly have to pull from the grid at peak rates if solar isn't sufficient. :rolleyes:

In balanced mode, I did use an extended shoulder/part-peak rate for the past 3 years but the Powerwalls were only discharged during and after peak. After installing v4, it started discharging them before peak. Had I not noticed, I would've been charging my car and paying peak rates instead of charging it directly from solar.

That is exactly what I said. "The only difference between Cost Savings and Balanced is during shoulder."
"For balanced during shoulder all solar still goes to the house and is only supplemented by the battery if there is not enough solar. "

No you said:
For Cost Savings, during shoulder or peak you battery will supply the house while all solar goes to the grid. It treats both the same.

I'm talking about Cost Saving Mode. The PW does not power the house during Shoulder most of the time

I think that's why several of us are upset about losing balanced. The way it's working now, it could drain the Powerwalls before peak starts and send all solar back to the grid at shoulder rates. Then it could possibly have to pull from the grid at peak rates if solar isn't sufficient. :rolleyes:

In balanced mode, I did use an extended shoulder/part-peak rate for the past 3 years but the Powerwalls were only discharged during and after peak. After installing v4, it started discharging them before peak. Had I not noticed, I would've been charging my car and paying peak rates instead of charging it directly from solar.

I agree with you... peak time is 4pm to 9pm... which is 5 long hours at the time many homes can use use more than half of their daily kWh. It makes sense for the Powerwall to customize when it discharges.

I had odd experiences with shoulder time even before the app upgrade. I think you may want to just use peak and off-peak... and set the cutoff time to whenever you 100% want a Powerwall behavior change.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I agree with you... peak time is 4pm to 9pm... which is 5 long hours at the time many homes can use use more than half of their daily kWh. It makes sense for the Powerwall to customize when it discharges.

I had odd experiences with shoulder time even before the app upgrade. I think you may want to just use peak and off-peak... and set the cutoff time to whenever you 100% want a Powerwall behavior change.
I never used shoulder, just peak and non peak