Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd think Charlotte, NC would be pretty precisely mapped but who knows. It doesn't work very well anywhere in Charlotte.

To my surprise it works more often than not in the boonies in TN. It's possible to download these tiles from a rooted car and see what sort of data is there for your areas of interest. ;) Tha's the beauty of (forced) open Tesla platform, you can always see how things work and based on wat with your own eyes, no need to depend on some incomplete manuals and external imprecise observations.

the first driver (loosely used term) that sees it will report it.

The driver should be well-enough aware of the surroundings to navigate the roadways. if they are not - they are unfit to drive and their driving license (loosely used term) should be revoked until improvements are made.
Remember that we cannot be talking about no drivers in the cars because there must be a driver to actually control the car, whatever form that driver takes. Uncontrolled cars are generally a bad idea.

they do.

yeah, this is a good idea of course.

Aren't we talking about "driverless" cars? :rolleyes:

Aren't we talking about "driverless" cars? :rolleyes:
well, you are talking about a narrow definition of driverless. That's why I have the loosely defined concept of drivers in my replies.

Since no such thing exists anyway, it's ok to be a bit nebulous before we see how the actual products shape.

Also the name is self-driving or autonomous, not driverless.

well, you are talking about a narrow definition of driverless. That's why I have the loosely defined concept of drivers in my replies.

Since no such thing exists anyway, it's ok to be a bit nebulous before we see how the actual products shape.

Also the name is self-driving or autonomous, not driverless.

Elon said eventually the steering wheel will be taken off. Not sure how the driver is going to drive the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: rnortman
Are there statistics to back that up? I'm not convinced that Tesla's system has a better safety record than Mobileye's system.

Anyway, most people here are more interested in level 3-5 autonomous vehicles which no one has deployed yet.

What???

MobilEye doesn’t even have a system with the functionality of Nav on Autopilot on the road.

Pretty easy to have a “perfect record”. Yay, we’re the best. Zero accidents over zero miles!

Reactions: CarlK
So I just saw in this thread where the OP clearly stated that the car definitely slowed down before going into certain turns while on TAAC. I assume it would do the same in full Autosteer as well. So that's good to see someone confirming this. My personal experience has been that it will not slow down for turns in my local area. Lots of Tesla YouTubers are also noting the same.

On another note - my morning commute was downright blissful this morning thanks to AP. Now that I'm aware of the areas that it's going to balk/struggle I just take over before it even gets there. I really love this car. It makes driving fun again.

On another note - my morning commute was downright blissful this morning thanks to AP. Now that I'm aware of the areas that it's going to balk/struggle I just take over before it even gets there. I really love this car. It makes driving fun again.
I like doing both. Enjoying when it does a good job, and I also like to watch it fail dismally and abort in the hope it uploads something meaningful to contribute. Generally disengagements are associated with more uploads when I monitor it.

@diplomat33 you've found your soulmate!

Just wait @turnem, eventually you'll sour on AP just like us grizzly old greybeards.

I like doing both. Enjoying when it does a good job, and I also like to watch it fail dismally and abort in the hope it uploads something meaningful to contribute. Generally disengagements are associated with more uploads when I monitor it.
Yes - this is precisely why I drive with AP engaged as much as possible. I want to do my part to feed the machine learning process as much as possible. I'm assuming that all AP disengagements get uploaded for them to see what happened and learn from it.

@diplomat33 you've found your soulmate!

Just wait @turnem, eventually you'll sour on AP just like us grizzly old greybeards.
LOL! I have my ups and downs with it to be honest. I went in with eyes wide open knowing that it wouldn't be perfect. Some of the shortcomings are frustrating but I'm pleased with the pace of firmware updates which (for now) keeps me hopeful that in a year or so there will be some meaningful improvements from where we are today.

Part of it (for me at least) is mindset. If I quit worrying about what people behind me are thinking and just let the car do it's thing while enjoying the ride then I find much more enjoyment. If I expect it to drive just like I would then I find myself getting annoyed and tense. I'm not going to lie and say that every single day I'm able to just let it do it's thing. Sometimes I get impatient with it because it's not reacting exactly how I would - which is an unreasonable expectation to begin with.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I think Tesla has 3 obvious options:
1) Implement a stalk confirmation or accelerator confirmation to ensure that the car is always starting on green correctly and not accidentally running a red light.
2) Wait until the system is so reliable that it does not make a mistake.
3) Warn the driver that they must be vigilant and keep their hands on the wheel. Maybe increase the standard AP nag at intersections. That way in the odd event that something goes wrong, the driver would be responsible.

Even “intentional” is hard to define. I wouldn’t put it past Elon to read a DRIVE PX brochure and decide that their hardware and SDK would just magically give you AP1 functionality in a matter of a month or two. Seems like textbook Elon to gloss over real world complexity and consider things easy to do

For all the posts here about AP1 speed sign recognition I was expecting greatness when I had an AP1 loaner. It’s probably my specific area, but it was not good. After no signs for a while it would default to 45. It would constantly miss one sign on my regular route. It would assign a sign on an exit ramp/side road to my highway lane. And once, with a truck next to me it missed a sign totally.

My relative with a 2019 BMW has a similar experience.

With that said, the database is wrong and my ap2 car is off for a mile of my daily drive. It’s too Hugh. One frequented by highway patrol.

Ugh. Totally quoted the wrong posts for that. Sorry my reply makes no sense in that context.

Hmmm... Who is going to report the accident? You after hitting the wrecked car on the road? :rolleyes:

Not to mention I've never heard Waze can direct you to steer through an accident. Remember we are talking about no driver in the car.

Well that’s the potential with automated real-time mapping: an autonomous car that goes ahead giving the cars that come after it predictive abilities by constantly updating the maps. Of course that won’t help whomever comes first but the car coming second can be prepared to react.

In fact MobilEye is doing similar things with their EyeQ4 REM mapping.

Elon just laughed HD maps off so I guess not for Tesla.

Part of it (for me at least) is mindset. If I quit worrying about what people behind me are thinking and just let the car do it's thing while enjoying the ride then I find much more enjoyment. If I expect it to drive just like I would then I find myself getting annoyed and tense. I'm not going to lie and say that every single day I'm able to just let it do it's thing. Sometimes I get impatient with it because it's not reacting exactly how I would - which is an unreasonable expectation to begin with.
I agree that personal driving style shouldn't be the benchmark, but right now it often behaves in ways that can be a nuisance to other drivers, the worst example being phantom braking (which I see with increased frequency recently, with the car apparently reacting more to other cars in neighboring lanes when it shouldn't).

Reactions: rnortman
What we actually do have is by far the best ADAS on the planet.

Weird that you don’t follow autonomy enough to know that.

Are you new here, or just don’t read much?

We do have the most versatile ADAS that’s for sure. That is why I drive an AP2 Tesla. AP2, not AP2.5 — I’ve been around Tesla since the start of this.

Whether that has much to do with actual autonomous driving remains to be seen.