Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reloading.gif
Get DOOOOWWWWWN!

Reactions: KyleDay
@verygreen @daud @DamianXVI @scottf200

Guys, I just quickly read through this thread, I skimmed though because there was 13 pages.

Some great detective work, awesome!

I work on HD maps for autonomous driving. And there are many levels of using an HD map to enhance ADAS and for enabling automation.

And what I am wondering in all the stuff you guys have discovered, do you see any evidence of visual localization assets?

Or any evidence of visual precision localization?

The localization assets would be landmarks such as road signs, street lamps, bridges, poles, etc. Carefully labeled with exact geometry, so they XYZ location in 3D space, as well as someway to define its shape, size, origination, etc?

And any signs of the Autopilot trying to identify these land marks and do some trigonometry to localize the car within a few centimeters on the HD map? Something similar to MobileyeREM if you are familiar with that.

Or does it seem Autopilot still just uses GPS/IMU for localization?

If you guys have any knowledge or speculation on this, I would be interested in hearing.

given that they are ramping up "level3" support (very visible in firmware), it looks like limited availability where maps allow (ie parts of California) is imminent, i.e. it's at most a couple of months away. Possibly it will just coincide with completion of the coast to coast FSD demo (so that availability is wider too), but then the maps for that are not ready yet.
So... Going on a limb here, closer to end of Q1 to hype up EoQ1 sales? ;)
Possibly there are going to be a couple of not wide releases in between that would allow level3 stuff where maps are present (again, likely California only) that people would be really hyped up about, not that's not a given.

What exactly do you mean by L3 support? I know what level 3 means, but I am curious what exactly you are referring too.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Or any evidence of visual precision localization?

The localization assets would be landmarks such as road signs, street lamps, bridges, poles, etc. Carefully labeled with exact geometry, so they XYZ location in 3D space, as well as someway to define its shape, size, origination, etc?
There appears to be stuff like this (traffic devices and such) in APE maps, not these currently in use adas maps, but the next generation that's currently only available in California, and possibly not on every car yet.
It's everybody's guess how those would be used.

Or does it seem Autopilot still just uses GPS/IMU for localization?
They certainly do.

What exactly do you mean by L3 support? I know what level 3 means, but I am curious what exactly you are referring too.
The code refers to "level3", it's disabled in my area (likely a California only thing related to those extra detailed maps for now), so whatever Tesla means by that.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
behold, Tesla is on the home stretch to deploy Q1 2017 navigon maps in Europe (they first appeared on internal resources a few months ago and I reported it back then, but I had no idea it takes this long from first getting the files from the vendor to push to the cars).

Of course they are going to still be 1 year old at this point, but that still beats having 2.5+ years old nav maps.

Lots and lots of users in the UK and EU are reporting usual 4.7GB downloads over their wifi connections at the moment so I guess these must be the Q1 version maps being downloaded and installed right now.

There appears to be stuff like this (traffic devices and such) in APE maps, not these currently in use adas maps, but the next generation that's currently only available in California, and possibly not on every car yet.
It's everybody's guess how those would be used.

They certainly do.

The code refers to "level3", it's disabled in my area (likely a California only thing related to those extra detailed maps for now), so whatever Tesla means by that.

you mention traffic devices, do they have information about them like their height? (distance form road) and orientation in degrees. or stuff like that? are there other things too like road signs/poles/barriers?

What is APE maps? what does that stand for?

And ahh, you must have posted about the level3 before. However, I must have missed it, do you think you can link me to where you posted it? or was it in this thread?

Thanks

you mention traffic devices, do they have information about them like their height? (distance form road) and orientation in degrees. or stuff like that? are there other things too like road signs/poles/barriers?

What is APE maps? what does that stand for?

And ahh, you must have posted about the level3 before. However, I must have missed it, do you think you can link me to where you posted it? or was it in this thread?
AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

The traffic devices parts I saw were only position based, with a comment of a pending rework, but the rework did not materialize as of 17.50

APE is Tesla name for enhanced autopilot computer

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
Actually somewha topposite. What we know about AP2 seems to imply it does use stereo vision between the main and narrow cameras.

The high precision maps is a totally different thing. They could be used from ape computer itself and the format is different that these adas tiles, but the availability is minuscle. They only cover bay area, bits of Los Angeles and Edgewood (also in Bay area, where Elon has a house it seems?).... hm, Actually, it seems they uploaded whole Calfornia yesterday, dated Dec 15th and some other stuff that's not totally obvious right now but also big.

So to get this straight, you can see there are ADAS maps/tiles that are in most places.

Then there is also some high precision maps that you can't se as much detail about and they are only available in a few small locations, but possibly all of California?

So to get this straight, you can see there are ADAS maps/tiles that are in most places.

Then there is also some high precision maps that you can't se as much detail about and they are only available in a few small locations, but possibly all of California?
the adas tiles are discussed in the first post of this thread and excellent work by @DamianXVI at visualizing them.

Correct about the high precision maps that are called "autopilot maps" in tesla speak, very little availability in those.

Reactions: daud
the adas tiles are discussed in the first post of this thread and excellent work by @DamianXVI at visualizing them.

Correct about the high precision maps that are called "autopilot maps" in tesla speak, very little availability in those.

If they require custom / special high precision maps and only have it for CA we are f-ckd for several more years.... unless your in ca....

This is most likely the case. but yea I could see them launching advanced features in CA first... then say it will take a year or so to add other states, but end up taking 2 years. probably vary a lot by the state

Only if they are generating their own. But they did hook up with Tom Tom, so, it's possible that the CA thing will be just Tesla taking the same approach they took with the MS, MX and M3 rollout - CA first, then country-wide, then global.

• Disagree
Reactions: bmah