Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some.

BTW in other news, they uploaded full coast to coast maps yesterday it appears, or somebody's humoring me I guess ;)

I feel like you’re probably the best to answer these and I can’t possibly come close to your accuracy on this guess:

1. When do you think Tesla will introduce FSD-exclusive features? I think highway-only Level 3 with say 10-sec heads up would be enough to raise the currently anemic take rate of maybe 20%?

2. When do you think Tesla will do the coast-to-coast FSD demo?

I feel like you’re probably the best to answer these and I can’t possibly come close to your accuracy on this guess:

1. When do you think Tesla will introduce FSD-exclusive features? I think highway-only Level 3 with say 10-sec heads up would be enough to raise the currently anemic take rate of maybe 20%?

2. When do you think Tesla will do the coast-to-coast FSD demo?
Sorry, I have zero visibility of when anything happens for sure, just some signs in the code and supporting infrastructure.

It looks like level3 stuff is in the wings, but that does not mean the wide release is going to happen any time soon. For all I know, Tesla included this stuff so that they can turn on a checkbox in internal ui (yes, there's a separate autopilot maps ui to control some aspects of it), do the coast-to-coast demo and then proclaim that "here's our demo, and BTW, it's using 100% stock software that's already in firmware 18.xx and above, but we still need to do some more validation, blahblah".

The coast-to-coast demo will likely happen very soon or is in progress as we speak. the EAP parts will likely start appearing soon after FSD demo (on highways only, things like switching highways automatically or some such).

Edit: what better time to run FSD demo than NewYear day - a public holiday with probably pretty empty roads as everybody is celebrating? ;)

Last edited:
I suspect when @verygreen let them know about there private key, they started an audit of there other systems as well. Those dev tiles should never have been available to the world.
I strongly suspect they’re reading here too.

But I presume their real development cars need some way to get access to dev tiles. They could VPN to the dev environment or they could’ve gotten new URLs for the dev environment.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
The real development cars mostly use the new autopilot maps. I am not sure who uses dev tiles, but when I put the original post of this thread up, access to live tiles was restricted (using car keys to access I think), but dev tiles were wideopen so I used them in the url, now the situation is reversed.
Thanks for your awesome insights and explanations on all this new tech coming out.. It’s very very cool to follow and read about all these new features coming to us hopefully soon! I’m not sure why your leaving us (which people keep writing about) but I sure wish you weren’t.

Not so sure of that. A lot of drunk drivers on the road after New Years Eve partying. Also, mapping it out, it looks like a coast-coast trip with supercharging would take ~46 hours straight.

The EV record on a coast-to-coast run is about 52 hours.
If Tesla is attempting the gig, they need a fleet of cars to do the run to avoid failure.
Just imagine the agony of a disengage at the 51st hour of the trip using a single car;)

Happy New year to all of you TMC guys and gals!

The EV record on a coast-to-coast run is about 52 hours.
If Tesla is attempting the gig, they need a fleet of cars to do the run to avoid failure.
Just imagine the agony of a disengage at the 51st hour of the trip using a single car;)

Happy New year to all of you TMC guys and gals!
I don’t think they’d do it live. I just think we’d get a 1000x sped up Benny Hill video

The sneaky Autopilot-mole 'PM_YOUR_NIPS_PAPER' over at Reddit now says:
Correct! A cross country road trip with no snow, no construction zones, and always staying on a major 2 lane interstate freeway (except exits for charging and hotels very close to the freeway). Lead cars do the scouting.

They are actually doing 2-3 hour segments of it now, as we speak, building up ultra detailed maps for the sake of the demo.

Source: from someone on the Autopilot team
Tesla Daily interviews MIT Autonomous Driving expert Lex Fridman • r/teslamotors