Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a very interesting test. I see in the youtube comments section that Thomas mentioned in the past on of these roads without a painted center lane that AP used to treat the whole road as one lane and now it treats it as a narrow two lane road. You can watch the DIC display to see at times when the non-existent left lane line goes from grey to blue indicating it is confident that it recognizes that boundary.

Reactions: thomasmb
Dangm, I don't know where to put this and don't want a new topic to falsely raise the hopes of people up.

But in 17.48 there's a new field in the snapshots: "level3-enabled", naturally set to 0 for me (but now I wonder how to enable that ;) )

Also whole "level3" section was added:
Code:
        "level3": {
            "autosteer": {
                "time_s": {
                    "on": "0",
                    "available": "0",
                    "unavailable": "0"
                },
                "odometry_m": {
                    "on": "0.000000",
                    "available": "0.000000",
                    "unavailable": "0.000000"
                }
            }
        },

Dangm, I don't know where to put this and don't want a new topic to falsely raise the hopes of people up.

But in 17.48 there's a new field in the snapshots: "level3-enabled", naturally set to 0 for me (but now I wonder how to enable that ;) )

Also whole "level3" section was added:
Code:
        "level3": {
            "autosteer": {
                "time_s": {
                    "on": "0",
                    "available": "0",
                    "unavailable": "0"
                },
                "odometry_m": {
                    "on": "0.000000",
                    "available": "0.000000",
                    "unavailable": "0.000000"
                }
            }
        },

Omg! Keep us posted!

I was thinking. While waiting for Autopilot to be complete, since cars have the camera suite and are drive-by-wire anyway, just have them remotely controlled. Just people working from home driving your car over the internet, maybe using Logitech gaming controllers and hopefully with a low-latency connection. Or just add this function to the app. In fact Tesla might find it's cheaper than trying to develop AP. Just fill gigafactories with millions of workers who drive remotely. Or using the app you could drive someone else's car while yours is being remotely driven - earn some extra income. The proprietary algorithm would however prevent two drivers from driving each others car since it would be overly ironic.

I was thinking. While waiting for Autopilot to be complete, since cars have the camera suite and are drive-by-wire anyway, just have them remotely controlled. Just people working from home driving your car over the internet, maybe using Logitech gaming controllers and hopefully with a low-latency connection. Or just add this function to the app. In fact Tesla might find it's cheaper than trying to develop AP. Just fill gigafactories with millions of workers who drive remotely. Or using the app you could drive someone else's car while yours is being remotely driven - earn some extra income. The proprietary algorithm would however prevent two drivers from driving each others car since it would be overly ironic.

I don't even let my wife drive me around...

It's currently not possible.

4G/LTE does not offer realtime communication and has very variable latency. Especially when a video stream is required. Even a 1 second latency could be 40 meters freerolling before brakes are even applied.

5G network should be able to handle that, but that won't have full coverage in probably 5 years. Hopefully we will have full FSD by then. In these cases remote control could be connected if the vehicle gets stuck in a situation it doesn't understand.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
It's currently not possible.

4G/LTE does not offer realtime communication and has very variable latency. Especially when a video stream is required. Even a 1 second latency could be 40 meters freerolling before brakes are even applied.

5G network should be able to handle that, but that won't have full coverage in probably 5 years. Hopefully we will have full FSD by then. In these cases remote control could be connected if the vehicle gets stuck in a situation it doesn't understand.

It doesn't have to be real time controls to deal with issues. Most of the time the car will become confused between 2 different options that are 50/50. The car can come safely to stop until it gets the help it needs. If they can pilot drones from 3000 miles away, then they can make this work.

It doesn't have to be real time controls to deal with issues. Most of the time the car will become confused between 2 different options that are 50/50. The car can come safely to stop until it gets the help it needs. If they can pilot drones from 3000 miles away, then they can make this work.
No they can't. Drones are in the air with zero obstacles on a dedicated high bandwidth satellite up link on one of the world's most advanced networks.

If my car had to stop and wait for my GSM connection to give someone time to make a decision, I would literally die.

Reactions: croman
No they can't. Drones are in the air with zero obstacles on a dedicated high bandwidth satellite up link on one of the world's most advanced networks.

If my car had to stop and wait for my GSM connection to give someone time to make a decision, I would literally die.

Drones are cake compared to cars. Its not only latency but the fact flying is easier than driving.

The date was Tuesday 5th December and it was the last image recorded of the world as we know it...

1669307276032-img-data-jpg.264686