Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autosteering Compared to Competitors. Is it Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the research I have done and from what I hear friends say about the Mercedes lane keeping (arguably known as the best so far), my P85D blows them all away. What should also be mentioned is that the sensors on the Model S seem to have been "woken up", and you see them firing on the screen in front of you in real-time. The representation of the distance from objects is there as well. This autopilot handles curves I didn't even think it could handle. It followed an exit ramp just fine with zero hands intervention from myself, and did NOT ping-pong at all. I've done this exit ramp numerous times now with very repeatable results. See the curve here in the photo grab:

curve tesla.jpg
curve tesla 2.jpg

What vehicles will GM equip with Supercruise? I'd guess Cadillac, but are they still under GM's umbrella? :)

GM could be using Mobileye too. I'm sure the Bolt people are all worked up about adding supercruise. I'm sure the Cadillac people want to keep it exclusively in the high end products.

The Bolt and the Model 3 would both make great low cost commuter cars with this tech.

Edit: A bit of research shows Cadillac has been using Mobileye since at least 2007.

Last edited:
I drove Porsche Macan with lane assist and it ping-pongs unpleasantly and within a 30 seconds nagging you. If you dont take control the car disables lane assist and lets the car be uncontrolled :).
So bad. Gonna check Tesla today.

"Ping-Ponging" probably comes from older systems trying to keep the car centered in the lane between the lines. Tesla and newer designs seems to prefer to follow the right line (on left hand drive cars) with an offset. This approach seems to work well, especially with a car to follow on radar. But it might also produce the car going off the highway onto the exit ramp at night with no car to follow. Tesla may fix this occasional error by accumulating the occurrences and adding a fix by GPS data.

The right line is better illuminated at night as headlights are not symmetrical. I assume these navigation cameras use infrared too, but that wouldn't help with road markings.

Having had some more time behind the wheel of the Tesla, I think there can be no doubt that the Tesla system is clearly superior to the Mercedes system. Tesla holds position better, especially on sweeping curves and continues to work in a variety of conditions where the Mercedes would disengage. Part of this is surely approach -- Mercedes is much more conservative -- requires hands-on and electing to shut down in marginal conditions where Tesla is much more aggressive. Furthermore, Tesla actually works pretty well on a variety of roads that Mercedes wouldn't ever attempt. Some of these are roads of a type that Tesla cautions won't work, but they actually do. The last two days, I've been driving around rural southern New Jersey on two lane roads. Where the light is good and lane markings clear, it will drive 55mph steady as a rock. Intersections, traffic lights and so on befuddle it, of course, but there are 15-20 mile stretches where it works flawlessly. I don't even get the nag screen nearly as often as you'd expect -- and I've done one particular stretch of road 7 or 8 times, so I'm now pretty comfortable doing it hands-off. At first, I probably didn't get the notification because I was unwilling to let go of the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

"Ping-Ponging" probably comes from older systems trying to keep the car centered in the lane between the lines.

I think ping ponging on curves is probably more likely a disconnect between the amount steering correction the car predicted it would need and the amount it detects after the car wanders. A failure of the steering model entering the car or an inaccurate assesment of the actual radius of the curve is the most likely problem. Tesla is much smoother at adjusting without overcorrecting. When it errs on a curve, it tends to wander a bit left or right, but it gently corrects, rather than overcorrecting and ending up outside, then inside, then outside the optional line. Even the Mercedes system will oscillate on some curves.

Autopilot Showdown: Tesla P85D vs Mercedes E63S Wagon

"Conclusion:
Tesla’s Autopilot is not comparable to Mercedes Distronic Plus. It’s on a whole other level... I took a spin in a new 2016 Mercedes model with the latest revision of their system, and there is no tangible improvement."
"The Mercedes is like one of the original Smartphones, or a Blackberry. It’s functional. It’s rudimentary and gets the job done. The Tesla is like an iPhone 6S. It does everything better and has much more functionality... The Autopilot is leagues better."
"My Mercedes, like older Blackberries, won’t change. That is something that needs to change... I’m jealous."

"Conclusion:
Tesla’s Autopilot is not comparable to Mercedes Distronic Plus. It’s on a whole other level... I took a spin in a new 2016 Mercedes model with the latest revision of their system, and there is no tangible improvement."
"The Mercedes is like one of the original Smartphones, or a Blackberry. It’s functional. It’s rudimentary and gets the job done. The Tesla is like an iPhone 6S. It does everything better and has much more functionality... The Autopilot is leagues better."
"My Mercedes, like older Blackberries, won’t change. That is something that needs to change... I’m jealous."

Jeez, and people are worried about Telsa's AP! There are a lot more Mercedes on the road with this. How many distronic accidents have there been?

Thanks for the link. Positive review for Tesla, good to have a comparison with Mercedes, but yet another reviewer who thinks that the Tesla checks to make sure it is safe before initiating an Auto Lane Change, with no mention that the driver needs to do that. I am sure that Autopilot does check the ultrasonics before making a lane change, but that doesn't mean it is safe to change lanes. The driver needs to look beyond the ultrasonics range and verify the lane change is safe.
"Signal left or right and the Tesla moves over. It checks for traffic and if another vehicle is in your way, it remains in its own lane."

Last edited: