Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Bank transfer request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m a week away from collecting my Tesla, and had an email today saying my trade in details were outstanding, and that I needed to make a payment for the difference between the trade in value and the car value.

The rep I’ve been talking to (Ryan) has emailed me over a picture of Tesla Financial Services bank details to make this transfer but I find this process a bit odd - surely this would be done through a portal. I’ve heard enough horror stories about people being scammed that I want to check if others have had to do this before taking delivery. I’ve no way of checking if these are actually Tesla’s details. I know Ryan is a legit employee but it just worries me that an email could have been intercepted.

Help is much appreciated, cheers!

Hi all,

I’m a week away from collecting my Tesla, and had an email today saying my trade in details were outstanding, and that I needed to make a payment for the difference between the trade in value and the car value.

The rep I’ve been talking to (Ryan) has emailed me over a picture of Tesla Financial Services bank details to make this transfer but I find this process a bit odd - surely this would be done through a portal. I’ve heard enough horror stories about people being scammed that I want to check if others have had to do this before taking delivery. I’ve no way of checking if these are actually Tesla’s details. I know Ryan is a legit employee but it just worries me that an email could have been intercepted.

18-50-08 xxxx9860
....That is the bank details we did a transfer to,at least you can match the bank details.
May have changed since.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I have been given as Tesla UK bank details -

name: Tesla Motors Limited
Sort code: 18-50-08
Account: xxxx9860

If you have been given something different - ask your Tesla contact why. The above is for a no trade in cash purchase. Might be different for a trade in, but I don't see why it should be different.

If you set up the above, note that UK Banks are now checking that the name you give exactly matches with the account number. I got an error message from my bank because Tesla use slightly different wording for their bank account name. I ignored the error message, and sent £1 to the above account to test. A day later, Tesla showed the £1 as received in my Tesla account.

• Helpful
Reactions: NewbieT
This is what I have been given as Tesla UK bank details -

name: Tesla Motors Limited
Sort code: 18-50-08
Account: xxxx9860

If you have been given something different - ask your Tesla contact why. The above is for a no trade in cash purchase. Might be different for a trade in, but I don't see why it should be different.

If you set up the above, note that UK Banks are now checking that the name you give exactly matches with the account number. I got an error message from my bank because Tesla use slightly different wording for their bank account name. I ignored the error message, and sent £1 to the above account to test. A day later, Tesla showed the £1 as received in my Tesla account.

18-50-08 xxxx9860
....That is the bank details we did a transfer to,at least you can match the bank details.
May have changed since.

Thanks both - I have the same sort code as you both, but the account number is different (xxxx9895). I’m paying Tesla Financial Services Limited though, so guess this could explain the difference?

Does seem an odd way of doing it...

Thanks both - I have the same sort code as you both, but the account number is different (xxxx9895). I’m paying Tesla Financial Services Limited though, so guess this could explain the difference?

Bank Transfer £1 first and ring Tesla to confirm receipt after 48 hours - playing it safe - that’s what we did.

I had details on my Tesla account also to Tesla Financial Services. That matched the account number I had (xxxx9895) but if your not sure the £1 recommendation is a good way of confirming.

Reactions: Durzel
Firstly, you are of course absolutely right to always challenge anything via email. Or double check any requests for financial payment or personal information. Some good advice already given.

I did need to make a bank transfer, but the details were all in the online Tesla portal. So it's the details in there I used. I wasn't sent any photo.

You could also email [email protected] to double check payment details. That's where I was told to send proof of payment too. I presume you have an RN number to quote.

And agree with previous comment, their business bank account does not support account name verification yet. I thought it was mandated now, but i have just found a few news articles saying the deadline was extended.

To send a photo of bank account details is unusual. Maybe he was worried about sending details in email, but the irony of then making it look worrying for the customer. Could he have not telephoned?

As you’ve identified your dealing with Tesla Financial Services rather than doing a “cash purchase” the account details for each of these methods is different so make sure you send it to the correct one!

Are account details not displayed on your invoice or in your Tesla Account on the website (this might just be for cash purchases) but if I’m doubt phone whoever is dealing with you and check.

Others already mentioned your bank will flag up that it can’t verify account name matches this is down to CitiBank who Tesla use not supporting it.

I used these in late may this year.. Was a little disconcerting as it took a couple of days before I stopped getting the "please pay us" message on my order.
Sort 18-50-08
Account xxxx9895
Name Tesla Financial

The sending a quid is a good idea though.

Oh my, please make sure you take the details from Tesla and not what anyone else posts when transferring tens of thousands of pounds.

Yes it is terrifying, but is the normal method for paying. Log into your Tesla account securely and find the final invoice there, the amount and payment details are all on the document.

Reactions: Beady3647
Well, I paid a quid Monday evening, but no sign of it in my account.

Wednesday night I thought 'whatever' and paid in £9k. This has now appeared in my account, i.e. well within 24 hours.

My quid has gone missing I guess.

My account is still nagging me to pay off my remaining balance before delivery, however, in spite of clearly showing that I have done everything necessary.

Bit rubbish really.

Hi all,

Don't tell anyone and send an amount e.g. £1.23 and wait 4-6 hours for it to show on your account.

Once it's saved as a payee, you're good to send the rest.