Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bans Stewart Alsop from buying Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Banned by Tesla

Mainstream media is picking up the story after Elon's tweet. This one has over 700 comments:
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post | Technology | The Guardian

I agree with Alsop on this one. He wasn't a rude customer. He was annoyed and rightly so because of Tesla's actions. If Elon was looking to fire someone, he should have fired the event manager who was rude to DaveT. Fanboyism doesn't help Tesla at all.

You know the content of all the emails and the phone calls?

Mainstream media is picking up the story after Elon's tweet. This one has over 700 comments:
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post | Technology | The Guardian

I agree with Alsop on this one. He wasn't a rude customer. He was annoyed and rightly so because of Tesla's actions. If Elon was looking to fire someone, he should have fired the event manager who was rude to DaveT. Fanboyism doesn't help Tesla at all.
Except you're ignoring the phone call, and what may have been said in that phone call.

Obnoxious self entitled buffoons just waste your time and end up detracting from your ability to serve real customers.

But isn't that exactly what Elon... Tesla did with the customers? Waste their time?

The article is badly written, but his point is completely valid. Tesla wasted a lot of people's time that evening without an apology.

I guess all of you who are backing up Musk wouldn't complain about reserving a table at a restaurant for a certain time, then when you arrive at the time, being made to wait an additional hour without an apology?

I was at the event. Having nearly 2000 people there, Tesla did a fantastic job. The buses from the parking lots were efficient and on time. They ran into a traffic jam of people who decided to drive to the event although Tesla asked everyone to go to one of many assigned parking lots and not drive to Solaria parking lot. Registration was efficient and people were assigned their "test ride" badge. Were there lines -- yes of course but well managed and all the Tesla representatives were courteous. Finally everyone in line was admitted to the staging/refreshment area. There was a continuous open bar, wait staff serving drink and food continuously with sitting areas, music and food stands. As one might suspect, the attendees were anxious and the event did start about 45 mins late. It appeared a lot of coordination was continuing behind the "magic" curtain. Only after the event, did we learn what the day entailed: Press releases and test drives, VIP announcements, etc. It was a full day for Tesla employees and Elon. Keep in mind the event was only opened a couple of weeks or so before, countering the "no special event launch" the Tesla touted prior to the invites going out.

I got to see and touch Elon's car, ride in the Model X and experience the "launch" down the back straight away. All-in-all the event was enjoyable, albeit hectic do to the sheer volume of people. I am very glad to see Tesla have events around the country and Canada for those who could not travel to Freemont. These mini-events will serve Tesla well for the Model 3 launch.

An unfortunate result of the "internet" is it provides a platform for forum to everyone. Sometimes people use this platform to say things that common courtesy would prevent them saying in person. If Tesla determined Aslop's remarks were unfair or over-inflammatory, that is Tesla decision.

But isn't that exactly what Elon... Tesla did with the customers? Waste their time?

The article is badly written, but his point is completely valid. Tesla wasted a lot of people's time that evening without an apology.

I guess all of you who are backing up Musk wouldn't complain about reserving a table at a restaurant for a certain time, then when you arrive at the time, being made to wait an additional hour without an apology?

Heh, you're right. Damn that Elon Musk for trying to throw a nice event for customers, and having circumstances outside his control make some self-important individuals irritated.

There is a difference between being irritated with how the event played out, and believing you are entitled to some sort of compensation for your troubles. This is where my father, when I was a lad, would tell me that I'm not the center of the universe.

Private company... cancel customer
Public company... take private insult and apologize
Fiduciary obligation to shareholders and avoid this kind of crazy publicity imo

"No Tesla for you." Lol.

There was anoter guy who got his X reservation canceled by Tesla maybe a year ago. He did not get what he wanted from Tesla about upgrading his pre-"D" model S for free or at a low cost. He bad-mouthed Tesla here and on TM furum and even threatened Tesla with a law suit. The last thread he started was to tell everyone that Tesla has canceled his X reservation. Strangely he sounded much more conciliatory after that happened just like Stewart Alsop was. Some people realize what is precious only when they lost it. Make sure your spouse understand this too. :smile:

I attended the event. I complained that the event was extremely crowded, display cars were limited and the event started later than planned. Then I moved on to things that mattered. I didn't find it to be a big deal.

I was more impressed that Tesla has created such market interest that they struggle to keep up with the demand for the product. I can't imagine even taking the time to walk across the street to see the latest GM re-chrome project.

As my initial post in this thread - #18: Tesla bans Stewart Alsop from buying Model X - Page 2 - demonstrated, there is a one-party's-hands-are-tied asymmetry occurring in this situation. I lie: it was my second post. But whereas Alsop not only publicly attacked Mr Musk the day after the Reveal, with his blog-head using the words "You should be ashamed of yourself", it was also he who publicly revealed that, subsequent to a telephone conversation - the contents of which have not been shown - Tesla Motors canceled his order. And Alsop made public use of his blog to ensure channels like the San Jose Mercury-News picked up the juicy story.
To my understanding, the sole public comment the other side has issued has been Mr Musk's "...Must be a slow news day" comment.

So....to all you gif-adept out there: where is the one of Lonesome Dove's Cap't Call saying he can't abide rudeness? It's either in the San Antonio bar, referring to the surly bartender, or it's when the Army scout beats up Newt. You may place my photo - or Mr Musk's - in place of Tommy Lee Jones's. If this society finally collapses because of lack of civility, it will be despite my best efforts.

"Mild-mannered" my foot!

Private company... cancel customer
Public company... take private insult and apologize
Fiduciary obligation to shareholders and avoid this kind of crazy publicity imo

That is why I have avoided investing in public companies. Usually run by spineless cowards afraid to inovate and more interested in plucking the investors while they lavish options on the insiders. The mush mouth you describe is what kills creativity and innovation.

Give me more smart a__ CEO's willing to swim outside the safety ropes.

That is why I have avoided investing in public companies. Usually run by spineless cowards afraid to inovate and more interested in plucking the investors while they lavish options on the insiders. The mush mouth you describe is what kills creativity and innovation.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." --George Bernard Shaw

Totally agreed. There are maybe smart people and smart a-- people but there are only a very few true visionary in a generation. Can you imagine what would Tesla or SpaceX be making if they create and design products by popular vote from customers and share holders?

It's hard to disagree with Alsop's assessment after reading all of the negative responses here at TMC from those who attended the event. I agree that Musk should have been ashamed on some level. The Model X launch must have been one of the most poorly organized, poorly handled events based on the comments of many. I watched it on live stream and was left totally underwhelmed and also scratching my head because it felt so amateurish. It was kind of sad to see Elon Musk holding up an air filter as a differentiator for one of the most revolutionary SUVs ever made. You'd think there would be other, more important things to mention.

Musk should be more concerned with Tesla's performance than with taking out petty grievances against a customer. I find that Musk gets testy when things aren't going well. Looking at TSLA's value - 52 week low and over 10% lost in the last two days - I'd say things aren't going well. Maybe Musk should spend more time focusing on improving Tesla and less time focusing on his critics. And didn't Musk say he welcomed criticism? You wouldn't think so judging by this little tantrum.

I have been one of the most positive and upbeat fans of Tesla for the last three years to the point of being called a fanboy. However, it's hard not to be sour on Tesla given how poorly they've performed in the last year combined with the fact that there appears to be zero attention being paid to improving core software experience, among other issues. In 2013 I wanted all of my friends and family to buy Teslas. Today, I tell people to wait because I don't see Tesla doing anything to satisfy those who have certain expectations.

Last edited:
Here we go. This is the type of comment that I was talking about. They don't like something Tesla is doing and then they make inappropriate comments about Elon.
It's excellent that Tesla has given a message to customers that Tesla wont deal with disrespectful customers.
Whoops. I forgot quoting @Matias comment.

Here we go. This is the type of comment that I was talking about. They don't like something Tesla is doing and then they make inappropriate comments about Elon.
It's excellent that Tesla has given a message to customers that Tesla wont deal with disrespectful customers.
Whoops. I forgot quoting @Matias comment.

Criticizing Tesla or stating an opinion about how they handled/mishandled something is now considered being "disrespectful" and grounds to get blacklisted by Tesla? Really? Consider again what you are suggesting, it's madness. Musk is the CEO, how is he not ultimately responsible for what happens at Tesla at this level - especially at his own launch event? I wasn't there, I'm not buying a Model X, but anyone who watched the launch event would have to be blind not to see that it was poorly handled. Musk is the only visible person at Tesla with any accountability, so he is the one to be held accountable.

Maybe he should be a CEO if he can't handle the heat.

Last edited: