Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bans Stewart Alsop from buying Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's still doing much better than anyone else out there. No one else has anything like what Tesla offers and likely will not have any for a while. Even Alsop adimts this in his follow up blog.

This claim should not be used as an excuse or a pass as it is not germane to the dispute. The point is Tesla did drop the ball and Musk should have had the humility to apologize or acknowledge that they could have been better rather than flaming a customer who placed a reservation in good faith. I wonder if they returned his deposit with interest? I doubt it, but they kept his money for years and in the end refused to deliver.

Bet Alsop would have had an aneurysm if he went to a ball game and it called due to rain. He must a true joy at the airport or the DMV.

But I'm puzzled. I know more that 1% of random people are jerks. Where are the other dozens of Enraged Blogs about the brutal treatment of the guests at the event?

(yeah and Firing a Customer is a very old expression. Henry Ford probably fired customers.)

Now, pragmatically: Alsop sounds like he lacks patience. Waiting years for a Model X probably would kill the poor guy. Musk did him a favor, and probably saved his life.

My wife is from New Zealand, so she reads NZ news, and she just sent me this link:

Tesla won't give 'super rude' customer his preordered car - Business - NZ Herald News

Clearly, this story has legs.

I doubt that the story has any legs on its own merit.

The only reason the story is picked up is the fact that Tesla (and Elon by extension) seems to be attention magnet. Thus anything linked to Tesla gets picked up by the media as it guarantees the audience.

Many obscure attention seeking individuals are fully aware of Tesla media magnetism and exploit it to satisfy their attention seeking hunger.

I see that happening on this forum as well. Individuals with no attention worthy achievements jump on Tesla bandwagon for their 15 minutes of fame.

This claim should not be used as an excuse or a pass as it is not germane to the dispute. The point is Tesla did drop the ball and Musk should have had the humility to apologize or acknowledge that they could have been better rather than flaming a customer who placed a reservation in good faith. I wonder if they returned his deposit with interest? I doubt it, but they kept his money for years and in the end refused to deliver.

I don't think Elon owes him an apology. Tesla does not owe him or anyone a car either. It happens everyday an unruly customer is asked to leave a business establishment because he is no longer a desirable customer. The reservation agreement we signed with Tesla stipulates either party can cancel it at will. Seems that you have canceled yours without an issue so why can't Tesla?

I don't think Elon owes him an apology. Tesla does not owe him or anyone a car either. It happens everyday an unruly customer is asked to leave a business establishment because he is no longer a desirable customer. The reservation agreement we signed with Tesla stipulates either party can cancel it at will. Seems that you have canceled yours without an issue so why can't Tesla?

Big difference as I only had a reservation to order. Alsop had placed a firm order. Had he cancelled the firm order, Tesla would not have let him walk way without issue. So that is not a good example.

it's best not to be an ass to the CEO to his face.

Is it a crime to be invited to the X Launch Event and instead of thanking the CEO, Alsop posted his unpleasant experience on a blog?

There are all kinds of people. Some talk a lot. Some complain constantly while others are very quiet.

It's a public event that was streamed live.

If the announcer would say "And here is the CEO who is late again and he didn't even serve a full dinner to the hungry Mr. Alsop way past 7pm!

That would be socially unacceptable because you don't want to mention the obvious that most people would just keep quiet.

The blogs stated clearly that Alsop loves Tesla products but he does not like how the Launch Event was done (perhaps he was "hangry").

So if Alsop is impolite on the blogs and mentioned the obvious, would that alone warrant Tesla to refuse to sell him a car?

How can Tesla have such vast resource to be on a crusade against hungry and impolite bloggers?

The way this is playing out is most people think it's a great move by Tesla to ban the "jerk". Since Tesla doesn't advertise, the articles in the press worldwide are the equivalent of free ads in major papers. And we all know, regardless of your point of view on this issue, any publicity is good publicity. Really, it's a stroke of genius. It would sure be something if Alsop was in on it. Like Jimmy Kimmel...

Jimmy Kimmel Reveals Prank - YouTube

I highly doubt that's the case, so it's kind of unfortunate it's at his expense, although I see from posts here a lot of people feels he deserves it. In reality, in on it or not, it's good publicity for him too, and he may even like it better than getting the vehicle. Who knows?

Is it a crime to be invited to the X Launch Event and instead of thanking the CEO, Alsop posted his unpleasant experience on a blog?

There are all kinds of people. Some talk a lot. Some complain constantly while others are very quiet.

It's a public event that was streamed live.

If the announcer would say "And here is the CEO who is late again and he didn't even serve a full dinner to the hungry Mr. Alsop way past 7pm!

That would be socially unacceptable because you don't want to mention the obvious that most people would just keep quiet.

The blogs stated clearly that Alsop loves Tesla products but he does not like how the Launch Event was done (perhaps he was "hangry").

So if Alsop is impolite on the blogs and mentioned the obvious, would that alone warrant Tesla to refuse to sell him a car?

How can Tesla have such vast resource to be on a crusade against hungry and impolite bloggers?
That blog post was from 4 months ago. It wasn't the reason for the cancelled order, but it was likely the reason for the phone call that lead to the cancelled order.

Finally decided to give the self important jerk a click and read the "banned" post. So he admits to not even sticking around for the whole event let alone all of Elon's presentation (said he left at 9pm when Elon's presentation went until about 9:20 or so) then he goes on to complain about not getting to see the X that night. Well duh, if he had waited until after like the rest of us did and for the test rides he would have seen it and been able to climb all over it.

Nope don't feel a bit sorry for him. Elon did the right thing.

Last edited:
I think you have it backwards. Alsop has a longstanding grudge against Musk because Elon went ahead and made a pile of money from PayPal (which came out of X.com) that Alsop missed out on. Combine that with Alsop's abrasive personality and publicly insulting Musk fueled by longstanding frustration and we arrive at where we are today.

Let's see. Someone complains in public about a badly run corporate event and about the CEO being rude for not apologizing for a massive delay. Plenty of people confirm that the event was badly run and that the CEO didn't apologize for the massive delay. Therefore the first person's complaint can only be explained by a different, hidden motive? OK, I get that kind of logic.
Musk should have asked someone else to phone up Alsop if handling difficult people isn't one of his best abilities.

Let's see. Someone complains in public about a badly run corporate event and about the CEO being rude for not apologizing for a massive delay. Plenty of people confirm that the event was badly run and that the CEO didn't apologize for the massive delay. Therefore the first person's complaint can only be explained by a different, hidden motive? OK, I get that kind of logic.
Musk should have asked someone else to phone up Alsop if handling difficult people isn't one of his best abilities.

We do not know why Elon called Alsop. The initial blog criticism of X event might be unrelated to the call. We do not know what transpired during the call, all we know is what Alsop chooses to say, which I take with a grain of salt.

I find Alsop's trash talk of his BMW car quite distasteful. Trash talk is easy and cheap, creating value and making products that improve people's lives is much harder.

Trash talk is easy and cheap.

The internet allows people to express their views whether they are valid or not, tasteful or not, respectful or not.

There are more pressing issues such as fighting crimes rather than cracking down on trash talkers over internet blogs.

If Tesla wants to lead a fight against trash talkers over internet blogs, then use the same weapons to fight back: use words for words.

Don't use the nuke option and cancel a Model X order.

The internet allows people to express their views whether they are valid or not, tasteful or not, respectful or not.

There are more pressing issues such as fighting crimes rather than cracking down on trash talkers over internet blogs.

If Tesla wants to lead a fight against trash talkers over internet blogs, then use the same weapons to fight back: use words for words.

I do not think that Tesla wants to lead a fight against trash talkers. It is simply bad business and a waste of time dealing with them. Hence, cancelling trash talker's X is an effective business decision. Nothing nuke about that, just one car.

I believe Elon has the perfect ability to handle difficult people. He just tell him I will have nothing to do with you from now on. When a rude guest complains loud to everyone that I did not take care of him right I will also tell him don't come next time if you don't like it. I hold my party the way I like and there are plenty of people who do enjoy what I'm offering. Do I expect to go to the Superbowl and be treated like I'm someone special? No. I know paying high ticket price, fight the traffic and crowd is part of the package. I'd very be happy if I can just be there. So many entitlement whiners there who do not deserve good things in life. I'm glad Alsop finally realized that even it's too late.

Another thought: I hope this whole thing reminds people the ability to own such an awesome car that 99.9% of people couldn't is a privilege not a birth right. We just need to remember how blessed we are.

Last edited:
I believe Elon has the perfect ability to handle difficult people. He just tell him I will have nothing to do with you from now on. When a rude guest complains loud to everyone that I did not take care of him right I will also tell him don't come next time if you don't like it. I hold my party the way I like and there are plenty of people who do enjoy what I'm offering. Do I expect to go to the Superbowl and be treated like I'm someone special? No. I know paying high ticket price, fight the traffic and crowd is part of the package. I'd very be happy if I can just be there. So many entitlement whiners there who do not deserve good things in life. I'm glad he finally realized that even it's too late.

Ridiculous.

You get invited to a BBQ, you turn up but theres no food and the host is an hour late. And thats what you expect? No. Thats not what you expect. You don't have to be special to expect what you were told.

You go to a restaurant, you get told you have to stand for the evening, your order doesn't get taken for 30 minutes. You then get your meals and there isn't a lot of food. And whats what you expect? No. Thats not what you expect. You don't have to be special to expect what you were told.

To be honest, yes, s*** happens and he was late, but the least Elon could have done was a apologise. Manners maketh men and all that. And if Elon had apologised, this whole situation may not even have occurred. Alsop could have been difficult on the phone, and if this really was the reason for cancelling the order then I think thats acceptable. But from what we know, and what you are defending Elon for, it is not acceptable for what happened at the Model X event and there should have at least been an apology. It doesn't matter who you are, what you do, time wasters should at least apologise to those that they are wasting time.

Last edited:
Ridiculous.

You get invited to a BBQ, you turn up but theres no food and the host is an hour late. And thats what you expect? No. Thats not what you expect. You don't have to be special to expect what you were told.

You go to a restaurant, you get told you have to stand for the evening, your order doesn't get taken for 30 minutes. You then get your meals and there isn't a lot of food. And whats what you expect? No. Thats not what you expect. You don't have to be special to expect what you were told.

To be honest, yes, s*** happens and he was late, but the least Elon could have done was a apologise. Manners maketh men and all that. And if Elon had apologised, this whole situation may not even have occurred. Alsop could have been difficult on the phone, and if this really was the reason for cancelling the order then I think thats acceptable. But from what we know, and what you are defending Elon for, it is not acceptable for what happened at the Model X event and there should have at least been an apology. It doesn't matter who you are, what you do, time wasters should at least apologise to those that they are wasting time.

You absolutely fit the entitlement description that everyone else should treat you with the utmost respect but you have no responsibility for your own behavior. Take your restaurant example you just tell the waiter nicely if your drink is late and your food is under cooked. You don't yell at him and let everyone in the restaurant to hear your complain. You will be deservedly be asked to leave and you will have only yourself to blame.

Oh, the irony. Or is that hypocrisy?

So why don't the trash talkers use their powers of words to get people interested in those more pressing issues? Why don't you?

Answer below: It's easier and more fun for some people to trash talk and be critical of others' actions then to pay attention to their own backyard and/or do something good and positive, which tends to be infinitely more difficult. Here you are being critical of Tesla (represented in this case by Elon Musk specifically) for not responding in kind (with words). In there you've also attributed a completely fictitious motive to Tesla and Elon Musk (lead a fight against Internet trash talkers - no evidence exists that this is part of the Secret Master Plan) and then used dramatic wording for a very simple, basic, uncomplicated action; the cancelation of one individual vehicle.

And let's not even pretend that had Elon Musk started a war of words with this 'blogger' that we wouldn't have an equally long thread on TMC discussing why that was inappropriate behavior for Elon Musk, why it was warranted, or why didn't Elon just cancel his Model X order and be done with the guy?!

- - - Updated - - -

My first thought in this situation is: Did something terrible happen to the host!?
My second thought: Is there something I can do to help?

Depending on the answer to those first two questions, my third thought is likely along the lines of: I was looking forward to that BBQ and now I'm sad. Oh well, off to my favorite restaurant to treat myself and cheer myself up.

*yawn* Not worth getting bent about. I won't die and I probably didn't need the extra calories anyway. Seriously. Not a big deal.

... but the least Elon could have done was a apologise.

He could have. He didn't. But gosh darn we're going to keep talking about it for the next fifteen years because that'll make us all feel better about ourselves. :rolleyes:

If you look at Stewart Alsop's twitter feed, he's been tweeting and re-tweeting this stuff at elon for ages. Whenever some new clickbait place takes up the story he re-tweets it again. If you look through his medium feed its full of him complaining about his BMW and his Apple whatever.

If this guy ever got his hand on a Model X you could bet he'd find something to complain about and write a clickbait article and get all his media buddies to retweet it and run clickbaity stories.

Why do you think Elon (who must be insanely busy) took his time to phone this guy up? He was trying to work something out. Evidently it didn't go well. Elon totally did the right thing, businesses can choose who their customers are and this guy is not worth it.

Tesla can handle the bad press or perception or whatever. They don't need to worry about that. There's lots of risks to Tesla's future but this is not one of them.